Best companies to work for in San Diego?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (39)

Host

What companies are fueling growth in San Diego? Why are they a great employer?

Reply - Report abuse

Gene in San Diego, California

79 months ago

San Diego is a hot bed of biotech companies. Qualcomm is supposedly an excellent company to work for because of its expanding growth.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (53) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in San Diego, California

69 months ago

Illumina is the company to check out- they are hiring like crazy and it is a great place to work- very collaborative and fun!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (138) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

Lona in San Diego, California

69 months ago

Jenny in San Diego, California said: Illumina is the company to check out- they are hiring like crazy and it is a great place to work- very collaborative and fun!

Illumina "Company" needs to have a complete name, their are other companies with a similar name. :) Lona

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Lona in San Diego, California

69 months ago

What is illumina full company name, their are serveral companies listed with similar name?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Jen in Escondido, California

63 months ago

Is anyone else noticing that the job market here is horrible? It is not just the economy, my husband and I have been here 6 years now and the wages are really a joke considering the cost of living in San Diego. I am in the interior design field where there are currently 0 openings county wide and only 3 openings in the entire state of CA. Currently there are 265 job openings in my field in New York/Manhattan area and am considering moving there. The rent prices appear the same -if you compare the nice parts of downtown San Diego to SOHO and flat iron. Also, the jobs that do post salaries are 2-3 times higher than an equivalent position here. My only concern is my husband's ability to land a good job in his field too, which is more technical/engineering. Has anyone made the move from San Diego to NY or vise versa? I do like it here but am tired of being unemployed/underemployed/underpaid. I have a lot of talent and feel that it is being wasted in this design-deprived, low paying, expensive city.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Chad Smith in Encinitas, California

62 months ago

Edynamo is a good company for web design. they've done three websites for me so far and i've been pretty happy with them.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Bonnie Bateman in Carlsbad, California

62 months ago

Jen in Escondido, California said: Is anyone else noticing that the job market here is horrible? It is not just the economy, my husband and I have been here 6 years now and the wages are really a joke considering the cost of living in San Diego. I am in the interior design field where there are currently 0 openings county wide and only 3 openings in the entire state of CA. Currently there are 265 job openings in my field in New York/Manhattan area and am considering moving there. The rent prices appear the same -if you compare the nice parts of downtown San
Diego to SOHO and flat iron. Also, the jobs that do post salaries are 2-3 times higher than an equivalent position here. My only concern is my husband's ability to land a good job in his field too, which is more technical/engineering. Has anyone made the move from San Diego to NY or vise versa? I do like it here but am tired of being unemployed/underemployed/underpaid. I have a lot of talent and feel that it is being wasted in this design-deprived, low paying, expensive city.

Hello, yes it is very tough in San Diego. I have been here since 1982. I went into the furniture business in the beginning. I have designer friends that became reps and have muliple territories in Southern Cal. I have a couple of friends that have done OK having their own business. 20 yrs plus and ASID. There has also been slow downs in their business as well. When the home building industry was good, there was opportunities to make money. Now that the housing market is going through some serious changes, the business has slowed up and unfortunatley there is a lot of talent out there who are out of work. I would suggest to go elsewhere because San Diego does not have big companies here and the income is low and yes the cost to live here is high. Also,San Diego has always been an very casual place. You would be better off to go to Orange County or LA. Maybe consider commercial design. Good Luck..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Aos in Escondido, California

62 months ago

Thanks for the comment. It is always good to get a confirmation-just to be sure.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jm in San Diego, California

62 months ago

i work for genoptix in carlsbad and it is an amazing company. the growth is unheard of. we are the 9th fastest growing company in the us and the top fastest growing company in all of san diego.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Adam in San Diego, California

53 months ago

I consulted for a young startup called TakeLessons (http//TakeLessons.com). They are part tech and part service, and give music lessons in 2,000 USA cities. Their software allows them to run everything from their corporate office in San Diego. They are quickly growing despite the economy. They added 20% more people in 2009 and expect to add another 30-40% people in 2010. Very relaxed environment (jeans), a company dog, a cool downtown location, and a great product.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Logan in La Jolla, California

52 months ago

I always say [url=www.sandiego[/url] is the best place to work no matter where

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Logan in La Jolla, California

52 months ago

[url=www.sandiego.com]san diego[/url]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

rcboop@aol.com in San Diego, California

50 months ago

Jen in Escondido, California said: Is anyone else noticing that the job market here is horrible? It is not just the economy, my husband and I have been here 6 years now and the wages are really a joke considering the cost of living in San Diego. I am in the interior design field where there are currently 0 openings county wide and only 3 openings in the entire state of CA. Currently there are 265 job openings in my field in New York/Manhattan area and am considering moving there. The rent prices appear the same -if you compare the nice parts of downtown San Diego to SOHO and flat iron. Also, the jobs that do post salaries are 2-3 times higher than an equivalent position here. My only concern is my husband's ability to land a good job in his field too, which is more technical/engineering. Has anyone made the move from San Diego to NY or vise versa? I do like it here but am tired of being unemployed/underemployed/underpaid. I have a lot of talent and feel that it is being wasted in this design-deprived, low paying, expensive city.

Hello - I am a native New Yorker of 40 years and I can say the market is not that great in NYC at the moment either especially in Interior Design. I am a Corporate Interior Designer. Also, you might want to consider the pace in NYC if you have been here all of your life. GET READY TO HUSTLE and work yourself until exhaustion. There is a fierce competition and the cost of NYC living is high if you are in Manhattan. The reason the posts are higher are because the cost of living is high. I would try to see if you can speak to someone before you move there. If your husband is an engineer there are jobs but he should be ready to work and hustle as well. Remember the pace is wayyyyyyy different in NYC. You will be expected to stay late, finish projects and be under aggressive time schedules and if you don' meet them...someone else will. So, if you are ready for a complete lifestyle change then go for it!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

cltdaletiz in San Diego, California

50 months ago

Well -I'm not a New Yorker -but the job market here in San San Diego is dismal. I am also considering moving -but to North Carolina -that's where i am from, and considering the high unemployment here, and the huge budget deficit -you have too be willing to think outside the box.
I am in the IT business -which has been hit hard -especially with jobs going over to India. So you have to find a niche market to operate in, or in my case -education into the Health Care IT business.
I want to wish all of us good luck in our endeavors..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

UPDATE FROM LAST YEAR'S POST. My husband ended up finding a great job in Los Angeles so we moved there instead. Six months later, I finally found a straight commission job in the industry selling home furnishings to furniture stores and design studios, but it is still really tough. I'm considering relaunching my interior design business here in LA instead of continuing in this position because it is not producing much money. The market here is stronger than the San Diego market, but it is still pretty dismal. The sales I see coming out of these stores is very discouraging and 20% of my customers have gone out of business. The e-retailers seem to be doing the best as people are buying online to save money. I have been working 60 hours a week as a sales rep and am making 90% less than I did as an independent designer working 40/wk. For the time invested, I think it is better to be on your own because at least you can take unpaid days off instead of working for days unpaid.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

50 months ago

By the way, regarding the pace in NYC, that is really the pace almost everywhere now since the economy started going bad 8 years ago. Everyone I know, from Minneapolis to San Diego, is doing the job of 3-12 people, work 12 hours a day and don't even get praise or recognition for doing so. Once upon a time companies had a 'department' now they have a 'person' so they can cut overhead. Even when the economy was better in San Diego, my husband always had to work 60-80hrs/wk. I worked on my business 7 days a week. This is just the way things are now and the competition in this industry has always been fierce. I remember in Minneapolis 25 years ago when my coworkers were plotting against the Visual Manager to get her fired because they wanted her job. This industry has always been highly competitive but now it is beyond fierce.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Material Girl in Carlsbad, California

50 months ago

rcboop@aol.com in San Diego, California said: Hello - I am a native New Yorker of 40 years and I can say the market is not that great in NYC at the moment either especially in Interior Design. I am a Corporate Interior Designer. Also, you might want to consider the pace in NYC if you have been here all of your life. GET READY TO HUSTLE and work yourself until exhaustion. There is a fierce competition and the cost of NYC living is high if you are in Manhattan. The reason the posts are higher are because the cost of living is high. I would try to see if you can speak to someone before you move there. If your husband is an engineer there are jobs but he should be ready to work and hustle as well. Remember the pace is wayyyyyyy different in NYC. You will be expected to stay late, finish projects and be under aggressive time schedules and if you don' meet them...someone else will. So, if you are ready for a complete lifestyle change then go for it!

I have to say, your comment on Pace in NYC is incorrect, am in the Design Biz in San Diego, Have also worked in NYC. Cost of living is a bit higher in NYC, but, you have public transit,many more (quality) local resources that are less expensive, lower state taxes if your self employed, a higher mark up on goods/services, and more local suppliers. NYC area has nicer housing for the price and the pace here is as hectic or more so. I think your need to live both before you can compare both... Competition in San Diego is much tougher than in NYC, wages are SOOOO much lower, overall cost of living not much lower (sun tax). Remember I have worked both locations.

50 months ago

I agree with that last comment. San Diego is a tough place to be for design, which is why they don't even bother to have a real design center. Designers are on their own. With the cost of houses at $450/SF and the average designer making $16/hour (according to government reports)hopefully you are married to a rich husband (which is usually the case in SD).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pat B in San Diego, California

50 months ago

Jen in Escondido, California said: Is anyone else noticing that the job market here is horrible? It is not just the economy, my husband and I have been here 6 years now and the wages are really a joke considering the cost of living in San Diego. I am in the interior design field where there are currently 0 openings county wide and only 3 openings in the entire state of CA. Currently there are 265 job openings in my field in New York/Manhattan area and am considering moving there. The rent prices appear the same -if you compare the nice parts of downtown San Diego to SOHO and flat iron. Also, the jobs that do post salaries are 2-3 times higher than an equivalent position here. My only concern is my husband's ability to land a good job in his field too, which is more technical/engineering. Has anyone made the move from San Diego to NY or vise versa? I do like it here but am tired of being unemployed/underemployed/underpaid. I have a lot of talent and feel that it is being wasted in this design-deprived, low paying, expensive city.

I made the move from the NYC area to San Diego a few years ago. There are definitely more REAL jobs there but if you want to live IN Manhattan than be prepared to pay an arm and a leg. There are plenty of places to live that are just a short train ride away that are expensive but not outrageous.

Jason in San Diego, California

42 months ago

Jen...not sure where you are looking but NY is uber-expensive as compared to San Diego. I moved here from San Francisco (also uber-expensive) and SF was CHEAPER than NY in every way. However, when it comes to design jobs, San Diego is NOT the place to be. It just stands to reason since most of the population of this country is concentrated on the East Coast/Mid Atlanic..therefore more houses and more design jobs.
Just to reiterate, my expenses here are about 1/2 of what they were in SF and about 1/3 what they were in NY...it is expensive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Maggie in San Diego, California

33 months ago

Lona in San Diego, California said: What is illumina full company name, their are serveral companies listed with similar name?

Illumina, Inc. They do have other locations. Headquartered in San Diego

www.illumina.com/company/locations.ilmn

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

joanne in Carlsbad, California

32 months ago

Pat B in San Diego, California said: I made the move from the NYC area to San Diego a few years ago. There are definitely more REAL jobs there but if you want to live IN Manhattan than be prepared to pay an arm and a leg. There are plenty of places to live that are just a short train ride away that are expensive but not outrageous.

B in San Diego. I made the move from NY to SD. It sucks here with wages. You can find yourself a decent place in NY, (not manhattan) to live. SD just does not have the energy for your career. I'm considering moving back since I can get better wages for the same job or better job, than settleing for less. If you want to live in a descent area ex: coast-the rent is expensive. My thoughts are you can always find something to do or somewhere to live in NY, here it's a joke. The only good thing is the weather.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Biotech_Guy in San Diego, California

32 months ago

Hi I m looking for jobs in Regulatory affairs or Quality assurance in biotech companies since I have done my Bachelors and Master's in Biotechnology.Any idea of companies to look in for?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

David in San Diego, California

31 months ago

Dont forget Intuit. They just built a new facility in San Diego about 4-5 years ago and employees over 1,000 employees. The company is known to treat their employees very well like Google and Qualcomm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

aumarsha in Indianapolis, Indiana

30 months ago

I interned at Qualcomm during the summer of 2011. It was an amazing company that provides a lot of support for its employees. Anything from padres tickets at bargain prices to zoo tickets at half the cost. Qualcomm is a sort of a wannabe "google" company that prides itself on unique company culture. There are nice facilities inside and they really take care of their employees well. They make a crap load of money, and are fairly generous to give it out to their employees. With 4G LTE technology becoming the norm, Qualcomm is destined to fuel massive growth in San Diego. Even though I particularly didn't really enjoy the work I was doing with them, there are plenty of good jobs I would love to have there when I graduate this year. They also set me up with an EXTREMELY nice apartment that was more like a country club. Oh and I forgot to mention that you can't get any better of a location than la jolla SD.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

DoD in Coronado, California

27 months ago

Biotech_Guy in San Diego, California said: Hi I m looking for jobs in Regulatory affairs or Quality assurance in biotech companies since I have done my Bachelors and Master's in Biotechnology.Any idea of companies to look in for?

Try Gen Probe at www.gen-probe.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

HRSanDiegoInfra in San Diego, California

25 months ago

Not sure what kind of job you're looking for but if you're in the IT field...Infracore is a great smaller company to work for. The owners are stand up people and they promote from within. They also work with the latest technology which is great for techie geeks

www.infracore.net

JoeNobody in San Diego, California

24 months ago

aumarsha in Indianapolis, Indiana said: I interned at Qualcomm during the summer of 2011. It was an amazing company that provides a lot of support for its employees. Anything from padres tickets at bargain prices to zoo tickets at half the cost. Qualcomm is a sort of a wannabe "google" company that prides itself on unique company culture. There are nice facilities inside and they really take care of their employees well. They make a crap load of money, and are fairly generous to give it out to their employees. With 4G LTE technology becoming the norm, Qualcomm is destined to fuel massive growth in San Diego. Even though I particularly didn't really enjoy the work I was doing with them, there are plenty of good jobs I would love to have there when I graduate this year. They also set me up with an EXTREMELY nice apartment that was more like a country club. Oh and I forgot to mention that you can't get any better of a location than la jolla SD.

Depends on the department, it can be great or it can be hell.

Long hours and high stress, intense project deadlines and managers
that view people as just another piece of test equipment.

All those other benefits don't mean much if your stressed out and
miserable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Yana in Phoenix, Arizona

24 months ago

I'm looking to move to San Diego as well. Here in AZ there's no many opportunities for clinical research coordinators. I have a bachelor of science and the certification as CRC. My experience is sales and customer service. What are the chances for an interview if I live in AZ? Should I move first, even is too riscky?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Hanna in San Diego, California

22 months ago

Jenny in San Diego, California said: Illumina is the company to check out- they are hiring like crazy and it is a great place to work- very collaborative and fun!
office work typing

Jona in Hollister, California

21 months ago

I am looking to relocate and San Diego is one of my options. Are there any Accounting jobs out there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Yana in Phoenix, Arizona

21 months ago

Hanna in San Diego, California said: office work typing

Does Illumina offers relocation or phone interviews?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

jm in Santee, California

20 months ago

I am a college graduate with years of experience in buying.
Semi retired. For the past 11 months I can not find a job and I have only had 5 interviews in the entire 11 months.

Is San Diego, CA jobs search being fairt or is this place dried up when it comes to hiring experience people.

tiz in San Diego, California

20 months ago

jm in Santee, California said: I am a college graduate with years of experience in buying.
Semi retired. For the past 11 months I can not find a job and I have only had 5 interviews in the entire 11 months.

Is San Diego, CA jobs search being fairt or is this place dried up when it comes to hiring experience people.

I think with this difficult economic environment - we are in right now.
I just believe nothing is going to move much until after this presidential election.
My opinion - of course. But i believe its just plain old politics at its worse..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

tebow

14 months ago

Jona in Hollister, California said: I am looking to relocate and San Diego is one of my options. Are there any Accounting jobs out there?

there are accounting jobs in san diego, but it's not easy to land a job. there are too many people with no job, yes even in accounting

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hema in San Diego, California

11 months ago

you said it right it is horrible i am looking job in my field and only few opening i see and they get filled before i apply to them ...do know where i am gonna land .Its very frustrating my field jobs are in LA side and there is 2.5 hrs commute and Train services is pathetic.

Eric Brewer in Green Cove Springs, Florida

10 months ago

I'm not alone, it appears. Thing is: My family and I just travelled the entire lower 48 and there are VERY FEW places that appear to be doing as well as San Diego. Most places are in severe need of a paint job at the very least. Some places are just ghost towns... San Diego has all kinds of large-scale construction projects going on. I see very few empty store fronts. People are generally upbeat and buzzing around and the place actually feels alive, instead of depressed.
With all the activity, you'd think there'd be need for goods and services in order to keep the progress rolling... but it's just not there.
Being new to the area and not knowing anybody sure doesn't help matters any. Just gotta keep at it and make myself and my abilities known. It'll come.

vetstack in Bellingham, Washington

2 months ago

Lona in San Diego, California said: What is illumina full company name, their are serveral companies listed with similar name?

there*

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.