San Diego or New York City?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

Marie in Courtenay, British Columbia

10 months ago

My husband and I are in our early 30's and are looking for a change in environment. We currently live in Vancouver, BC and really like it here but are ready for a new adventure. From the research I've done, it looks like San Diego and New York City would both be good fits for us, albeit for very different reasons.

A bit about us - I'm a journalist and my husband is a software developer. I am American and will be applying for a green card for my husband who is Canadian. In the meantime, the hope is that he will be able to work under NAFTA or obtain a H-1B visa. We're both laid back but career-driven people who enjoy the outdoors, going out to eat, and going to films and museums. We love the bustle and energy of New York and the fact that there is always something happening. The public transit is a huge plus. On the other hand, the weather and laid-back beach lifestyle of San Diego are pretty enticing. A major con for San Diego is that we'd have to get a car (or cars).

We're both currently applying for jobs in both locations but it looks like it might come down to us having to take the leap of moving to the new location first and finding jobs when we get there.

Any thoughts or suggestions from people working in IT or journalism in either San Diego or New York would be much appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Samantha Folk in San Diego, California

10 months ago

Marie in Courtenay, British Columbia said: My husband and I are in our early 30's and are looking for a change in environment. We currently live in Vancouver, BC and really like it here but are ready for a new adventure. From the research I've done, it looks like San Diego and New York City would both be good fits for us, albeit for very different reasons.

A bit about us - I'm a journalist and my husband is a software developer. I am American and will be applying for a green card for my husband who is Canadian. In the meantime, the hope is that he will be able to work under NAFTA or obtain a H-1B visa. We're both laid back but career-driven people who enjoy the outdoors, going out to eat, and going to films and museums. We love the bustle and energy of New York and the fact that there is always something happening. The public transit is a huge plus. On the other hand, the weather and laid-back beach lifestyle of San Diego are pretty enticing. A major con for San Diego is that we'd have to get a car (or cars).

We're both currently applying for jobs in both locations but it looks like it might come down to us having to take the leap of moving to the new location first and finding jobs when we get there.

Any thoughts or suggestions from people working in IT or journalism in either San Diego or New York would be much appreciated!

I have now lived in San Diego for six years. I moved here from Oregon. The weather is great, but the only things here are hotels, bars, and LOTS of alcoholics! If you are perhaps writing restaurant/ bar reviews, you might find a niche; but New York would still be a better bet. Good luck in your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Samantha Folk in San Diego, California

10 months ago

I have lived in San Diego for six years. I moved here from Oregon. he weather is great, but the only things here are hotels, bars, and LOTS of alcoholics! If you are perhaps writing restaurant/ bar reviews, you might find a niche; but New York would still be a better bet. Good luck in your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Friday Harbor, Washington

10 months ago

Thanks for the advice Samantha! Aside from the weather, what are the things you like best about San Diego - or did you move there specifically for work? Thanks again!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.