Trying to move from NY to San Diego

Comments (3)

AR in New York, New York

13 months ago

I'm in my early 30s and work in the financial services space as an IT business analyst. I have been living and working in NYC for the past several years. I'm very fed up with living here and would really like to relocate to California, maybe San Diego or the Bay area, or really most anywhere else in the state.

I have a few questions for which I'm seeking guidance.

1. The main issue is how do I find a job in the IT area as a business analyst or project manager in California when I live in NY? It doesn't appear to be an easy feat as most places only look at local candidates.

2. Salary wise, what can I expect to make if I do find a job there in my field? For all intents and purposes I am expecting the cost of living to be the same, possibly even slightly higher in California.

Any other useful suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

13 months ago

AR in New York, New York said: I'm in my early 30s and work in the financial services space as an IT business analyst. I have been living and working in NYC for the past several years. I'm very fed up with living here and would really like to relocate to California, maybe San Diego or the Bay area, or really most anywhere else in the state.

I have a few questions for which I'm seeking guidance.

1. The main issue is how do I find a job in the IT area as a business analyst or project manager in California when I live in NY? It doesn't appear to be an easy feat as most places only look at local candidates.

2. Salary wise, what can I expect to make if I do find a job there in my field? For all intents and purposes I am expecting the cost of living to be the same, possibly even slightly higher in California.

Any other useful suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

First, you are looking at THE most expensive areas of California: SF and SD. That means that you need a really good job because $10.00 an hour ain't gonna cut it. I am originally from Los Angeles.

Second, Silicon Valley has more opportunity for IT than does San Diego but again, its expensive.

Too get a job, you often have to "appear" local. I worked in one building where there was a guy down the hall who ran a one man operation - mail forwarding. You can take it from here.

geni619 in Carlsbad, California

8 months ago

well here in California there is a lot opportunity but living expenses and taxes kill you I have a friend that worked for a company as IT tech after 5 years he come up with his own company he about 5 places to take care as IT tech making about 12k a month else you have to work smart and bring a brilliant Idea out of you that what i been seen it lately a good Idea is to upload resume online $$$$$$ good luck I hope you find something real good

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.