Moving to Sacramento - how did you get here?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (10)

Host

Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

Reply - Report abuse

Mark Ochrach in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

52 months ago

Looking for a job, outside bank rep auto finance. Have many years experience, have been very succesfull for a long time untll recenly company closed dwn and haven"t had any bites.I have famly in the Rocklin Area and would like o get up there with my wife and daughter. P.S I have small dog, he's coming to.

Best Regards
Mark Ochrach

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sunmomma in Sacramento, California

40 months ago

My husband and I moved here 5 years ago from Illions. Sacramento area is a great place to live. We moved here without jobs. It took my husband 6 months to find a job in accouting and took me 8 months to find a marketing job and we both have college degrees. The market here is sluggish and you have to get out a meet people to find a job not just send out resumes. Both my husband and I find out jobs by networking in person with people. People are very nice and low key here but they hire on who you know and not always what you know. You are within 2 hours from everything. Rocklin is northeast of the city and is very family orientated. it is near major retail mall and community college and lots of apartments that allow dogs. Housing prices have dropped and steadied off so it might be a good time to buy. Hope this helps

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ladyjenn in Rancho Cordova, California

40 months ago

I moved here from LA, previously from NY and live in Folsom! I love it here, but there are no jobs! I've been out of work for 1.5 years....it is beautiful here though!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

pennieracer in Columbus, Georgia

34 months ago

I am planning on moving to the Roseville area and would like to be there by August 1. However, I really need to have a job in place BEFORE the move. I have put in a few resumes with Intel and HP. I am currently a part-time student trying to get my bachelors but I have been a working professional for years. I am currently a business analyst with a global fortune 500 company. The job is great but I want to move and start a new chapter in my life. Can anyone provide some advice on how to get this chapter started or any leads on jobs?

sunmomma in Sacramento, California

34 months ago

Having moved here from the midwest 5 years ago, I can give you some insight. I don't want to discourage you from moving here but this is not the place to find a job without living in the area. People find jobs here from who you know and not necessarily what you know. This is a very tight market unemployment rate is around 12% and those who are college educated even with an associates degree have an easier time finding a job then those who don't unless you are looking for entry work or inside or outside sales.

Unless you have a specific skill that you know is in high demand you would be better off moving here and give yourelf 2-4 monthes to find a job then trying to find one long distance before you move here.
Check Craigs list for job openings as many employers list their positions there first. I know it sounds strange but they like uusing the cheapest and fastest way to find candidates.

Roseville has a great Chamber of Commerce and you might want to call and talk to them about which employers might be looking to hire.

Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

X57 in Sacramento, California

34 months ago

Moved here from a little town near Merced 2 yrs ago to attend UCD and to find a job. Graduation is approaching in under a week and I haven't found anything job-wise.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Prodriver614 in Sacramento, California

21 months ago

Host said: Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

Very poor judgment upon leaving my hometown Los Angeles is my excuse. I was under the impression that Sacramento would offer a more peaceful quality of life. It did at first. But lately I have discovered that in addition to age and racial discrimination, the job market here operate on who you know, not what you know. That shuts out a large portion of valuable human resource who eventually end up homeless.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ron Davis916 in Sacramento, California

21 months ago

Host said: Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

I moved to Sacramento, by way of SF Bay Area!
Looking to break into the local marketplace!

Ron Davis916 in Sacramento, California

21 months ago

Prodriver614 in Sacramento, California said: Very poor judgment upon leaving my hometown Los Angeles is my excuse. I was under the impression that Sacramento would offer a more peaceful quality of life. It did at first. But lately I have discovered that in addition to age and racial discrimination, the job market here operate on who you know, not what you know. That shuts out a large portion of valuable human resource who eventually end up homeless.

I agree!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.