Autocad Jobs?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (25)

Bill in Venice, Florida

84 months ago

Why are autocad jobs so hard to find in Sarasota area? It seems no one wants older mature stable autocad drafting person. I have 2 years in autocad, over 10 years on board drafting. Seems everyone wants 5-10 years and 2 degrees! They also keep running same ad months on end when they could have hired someone of lower and had them up to speed by now?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Denzel in Sarasota, Florida

81 months ago

TRUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a technical certificate in architectural drafting, and i have over 6 years of cadd and experience in Design and estimating and I can't get a job in the field anymore... Laid off at pass 2 jobs related to cadd.... Now i work for the post office and i'd rather not...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ray in Fort Myers, Florida

80 months ago

Agree ... after 18 years with a Civil Engineering firm here in the Ft. Myers area, I was layed off ... told "there just isn't any work out there for us to keep you" ... I've got over 20 years experience in the Land Development / Planning / Zoning fields doing multi-family residential and mixed use commercial projects, and have sent my resume out to every firm out there I can find. Less than 5 have even shown the class to respond to me, even if just to say sorry. And the County position that I applied for has been the most aggravating of all ... it's been three weeks, and I'm still waiting to hear something. It's very depressing to be my age (52 yrs. old), with a family to support, and no prospects !!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Dallas, Texas

79 months ago

Is it like this all over in Florida? I'm an Autocad tech (almost have the degree) and work for a furniture design maunfacturer here in Fort Worth. However, I will probably relocate to South Florida to be closer to family. I am just wondering how hard it is to find a CAD job (w/ SolidWorks exp.). It sounds like it might be an issue.

Ray B in Fort Myers, Florida

79 months ago

If you're looking at one of the major metropolitan areas (i.e. Tampa, Orlando, Miami), then you may fair better ... if not, good luck !!

I'm 52 years old, with over 25 years experience, and had been with my previous employer for almost 18 years, until January 16th ... when the dominoes started to fall here in SW Florida (Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, Pt. Charlotte), it grabbed a lot of us. Now, two months later, I'm still trying to get back in to the workforce. It's extremely difficult here, and very depressing.

Good Luck.

Chris in Dallas, Texas

79 months ago

Thanks a bunch. I was considering Sarasota/Bradenton Beach area, but may stick closer to the Fort Myers area. From the looks of it on the job boards though, Miami area might be a better choice. Since I have experince with both conveyor systems design and furniture design (with a little architectural in school), I'm hoping it's not going to be too terribly challenging. Nevertheless, I'll move there soon...it's much more desirable than Fort Worth/Dallas. Thanks again!

Debby in Bonita Springs, Florida

79 months ago

Ray B in Fort Myers, Florida said: If you're looking at one of the major metropolitan areas (i.e. Tampa, Orlando, Miami), then you may fair better ... if not, good luck !!

I'm 52 years old, with over 25 years experience, and had been with my previous employer for almost 18 years, until January 16th ... when the dominoes started to fall here in SW Florida (Ft. Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, Pt. Charlotte), it grabbed a lot of us. Now, two months later, I'm still trying to get back in to the workforce. It's extremely difficult here, and very depressing.

Good Luck.

i am 49 and have over 26 years of civil and architectural experience and am out of work. not only are there no cad jobs in thsi field available, but i can't even get a job in the restaurant industry. it's either age or no experience.

79 months ago

I had an interview in Pt. Charlotte on Monday for a CAD position ... they're supposed to let me know either this afternoon or Wednesday ... the drive will be about 35 - 40 miles one way, buy hey, it's a job !!!

Really hoping this comes through.

It seems that over the past two months, with all the resumes and e-mail inquiries I've sent out, it's always been the same thing ... We've got a hiring freeze right now, we're gathering resumes so that when things open up, we'll have a good database of potential candidates for positions.

I don't want to be a part of somebody's database ... I want to earn a living !!!

79 months ago

Ray B in Fort Myers, Florida said: I had an interview in Pt. Charlotte on Monday for a CAD position ... they're supposed to let me know either this afternoon or Wednesday ... the drive will be about 35 - 40 miles one way, buy hey, it's a job !!!

Really hoping this comes through.

It seems that over the past two months, with all the resumes and e-mail inquiries I've sent out, it's always been the same thing ... We've got a hiring freeze right now, we're gathering resumes so that when things open up, we'll have a good database of potential candidates for positions.

I don't want to be a part of somebody's database ... I want to earn a living !!!

Ray B...........I think I may know you. Ever work in Cape Coral? Ever coach little league?

79 months ago

Yes ... and Yes !!

And You ??

79 months ago

Ray B in Fort Myers, Florida said: Yes ... and Yes !!

And You ??

I worked right behind the cubicle wall from you on Cape Coral Parkway. I never go by the name Debby.....is this a clue?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Did you work at Avalon ??

You must be the lovely and gracious Debra !!
Husband Bruce (?)
Good friends with Mike P., if I'm correct.

Good to hear from you.

79 months ago

Ray B in Fort Myers, Florida said: Did you work at Avalon ??

You must be the lovely and gracious Debra !!
Husband Bruce (?)
Good friends with Mike P., if I'm correct.

Good to hear from you.

You got it! :) I am divorced now and living in Ft. Myers for over 5 years. Went on my own and did great. Then.....dum dee dum dum dum! So good to hear from you! Jordan must be in college now! LOL!

79 months ago

You might want to send your resume (if you haven't already) to the following ... they're a design firm in Naples.

Laurie@WeberDesignGroup.com

Take Care, and best wishes!!

79 months ago

Ray B in Fort Myers, Florida said: You might want to send your resume (if you haven't already) to the following ... they're a design firm in Naples.

Laurie@WeberDesignGroup.com

Take Care, and best wishes!!

Thanks Ray! I can give it a shot. I applied for a position at a large roofing company here in the area a couple of weeks ago. The supervisor called me and said they were interested and would like to set up an interview. That was a week ago. The position was exactly all cad, sounded to me more on the lines of paper pushing with cad knowlege. Here's my junk e-mail acct. as follows: debratalk@yahoo.com Write to me here and I will give you my working e-mail address for more info. about possible leads for you. :) Would love to hear from you.

pappyj34

60 months ago

I Totally agree!! I have been a designer/drafter in several disciplines of architecture and design since 1987. I have watched our pay scale go down, survived 3 lay-offs (aka down-sizing). I have a 2 year degree along with other autodesk certificates. I have worked for the D.O.D with a secret clearance, worked as a temp, as a employee, worked as a contract employee. Its unbeleivable that us drafter/designers with experience and dedication to our field are so easily put out in the cold.. I have not been able to get a cad job since 07! and i can relocate anywhere in the country on a weeks notice! its been this way for years. I have worked everywhere they needed A cad guy! I now lay flooring and still havent paid off my student loans!! my thoughts are the tech schools flooded the market with cad people and the jobs shops took our payroll!!
i wasted too many good years pursuing this field of work. But still would do it tomarrow!!
jon on west coast

CLOWN MAN in Cape Coral, Florida

59 months ago

Why don't the engineering firms around Lee county want to keep the GOOD CAD-DESIGNERS on ? SURE they keep the dumb ones they get paid cheaper but screw up more so turn around is the firm actually has to pay MORE and sametime get a bad name.

I ve heard so much bad stuff for the firm that laid me off. I ve been asked WHY DIDNT THEY KEEP YOU AND LET SO N SO GO ? reason: I was paid more reason: I was better, faster, and taught others tips n tricks of AutoCAD.

They have people on board yet that still dont know how to even DRAFT simple items and they came from up north like DETROIT. No wonder our auto industry was sucked down so bad and taken over by OTHERS (Toyota, Honda etc.)

simpleone in Cape Coral, Florida

59 months ago

Clown Man,

I HEAR YOU OH SO WELL !!

I have over 15 years of drawing board (different fields) and 30+ years of AutoCAD expierence, including program writing, shortcuts, merging several program steps into one thus eliminating lot of picking - typing which cut time down.

I have known people who did not know the difference between squaring a number and multiplying a number a by 2 ( pi R SQ, 2 pi R ) and they are supposely been drafting since they were 18 and they are now 50+, ... I am NOT kidding either.

These people are still working ... HUH WHY ???? THEY were the ones who were let go years ago. Times have changed oh so much for companies LOGICS. Maybe thats why we are in this depression NOT recession.

These are the ones WHO SHOULD BE OUT OF A JOB not people who know what they are doing and who helped them for so long such as myself.

SW Florida just does not make sense in this field.

tech zOO in Saint Petersburg, Florida

57 months ago

AutoCAD has only been around since 1982, so 30+ years is not possible.

harry in Reading, United Kingdom

56 months ago

Because the job of AutoCAD operators are being offshooted to places where IT is plentiful and labour is cheap like India. You've got to admit it makes sence now that data now days is easily transfered at a click of a mouse. Unless you have a higher diploma in a relavant field other then Autocad (i.e Engineering, Architecture) and your drawings are with initative and not copied off someone else then there should'nt be any proberlem finding work. actually there should be a few vacancies advertised at any givern moment.

JR in Orlando, Florida

52 months ago

I feel your pain man and agree with much of what is written. I've been out of work for 9 months now laid-off from my second job and can only shake my head in disappointment. I have 12 years of cad experience both in commerical and in the residential field. I continued my studies right into architecture and had already 2 years of schooling when I had to drop because of the need for money.

mike in Wingdale, New York

46 months ago

harry in Reading, United Kingdom said: Because the job of AutoCAD operators are being offshooted to places where IT is plentiful and labour is cheap like India. You've got to admit it makes sence now that data now days is easily transfered at a click of a mouse. Unless you have a higher diploma in a relavant field other then Autocad (i.e Engineering, Architecture) and your drawings are with initative and not copied off someone else then there should'nt be any proberlem finding work. actually there should be a few vacancies advertised at any givern moment.

Harry-You are the problem, not the solution. There is more to drawings that just outsourcing. Many times mistakes are discovered, by the draftsman, costly mistakes, that only a trained eye can spot. This comes from ownership of the drawing and an association to the project.
You'd be surprised how much a simple question can save a company, while it still on paper. I don't feel that this can be gained by outsourcing, unfortunately many businesses are penny wise and pound foolish.
We need to face it, AutoCAD is dead, it is not what it was 10 years ago, it has been replaced by SolidWorks or Inventor. Learn them.
I get plenty of drawings from people who try to draft using programs like Draftsite. These are people who have never heard of the O-Snap. Just because you can work a few buttons doesn't give license to use drafting software, a drawing has to "read" to the discipline it is intended to be used for.
A good draftsman gives a drawing an aesthetic quality in a practical time frame.

ECORRIE in Bradenton, Florida

35 months ago

Denzel in Sarasota, Florida said: TRUE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have a technical certificate in architectural drafting, and i have over 6 years of cadd and experience in Design and estimating and I can't get a job in the field anymore... Laid off at pass 2 jobs related to cadd.... Now i work for the post office and i'd rather not...

I have 25 years of civil cad design experience. I got laid off after 17 years with the last company....Do they need anyone at the post office : )

Chris

35 months ago

44 months ago I asked whether or not it was bad all over the place, especially in Florida where I was considering moving at the time. However, there is hope! I applied at Boeing and landed a Technical Design position at Boeing in Everett. I earned the CAD degree with a 4.0 GPA and that, along with my previous Air Force background, helped me land the position. I use CATIA now, designing the floor structure for the 777/767 jetliners. It's my dream job.... aerospace design. And in an office with a hell of a view through large windows of the production line from three stories up. So, my advice to everyone else.... look high and low, near and far for positions that you wouldn't normally think to apply. I started applying in states I didn't even want to live and got responses. But Boeing to me trumped everything, even if it took three months to get on board. Go to the Boeing site and apply directly, not through a job placement agency or you'll be a contractor (and those people are the first to go if there's a round of layoffs).

Greg Jensen in Fort Myers, Florida

35 months ago

Bill in Venice, Florida said: Why are autocad jobs so hard to find in Sarasota area? It seems no one wants older mature stable autocad drafting person. I have 2 years in autocad, over 10 years on board drafting. Seems everyone wants 5-10 years and 2 degrees! They also keep running same ad months on end when they could have hired someone of lower and had them up to speed by now?

There is a position open currently in Naples. FL search for it...I believe it was in furniture/retail

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.