Job Search for individuals over 50

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (21)

Over Fifty in Saint Louis, Missouri

46 months ago

I am in my mid fifties in a job transition. I am currently networking and doing all the things that job coaches tell you to do to find that next job. It has been very discouraging when no one replies to completed applications and or emails. It seems people in their mid fifties are being forced out of the job search. Now applications ask for the year you finished high school or have gone as far as to request that if you are not currently employed, do not apply. It seems that experience and knowledge does not men a lot in the current job market. Anyone else having these same issues?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Still Searching in Saint Louis, Missouri

44 months ago

Over Fifty in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am in my mid fifties in a job transition. I am currently networking and doing all the things that job coaches tell you to do to find that next job. It has been very discouraging when no one replies to completed applications and or emails. It seems people in their mid fifties are being forced out of the job search. Now applications ask for the year you finished high school or have gone as far as to request that if you are not currently employed, do not apply. It seems that experience and knowledge does not men a lot in the current job market. Anyone else having these same issues?

YES YES YES I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A LONG TIME. MY HUSBAND TOLD ME I WAS TOO OLD TO GET A JOB THAT I'D NEVER FIND ONE. WHEN I'VE BEEN LOOKING ON-LINE HE SAYS,WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT. YOU WONT GET ANYTHING.
NOW WHETHER HE MEANT IT MEAN OR NOT DIDN'T MATTER. ALL I KNOW IS I STOOD IN LINE THAT REACHED SCHNUCK'S STREET LEVEL ENTRACE ALONG WIH 100 OTHER PEOPLE MANY MY AGE FOR 1 LOUSY PART TIME POSITION SHE TOLD ME IF I MATCHED HER QUALIFICATIONS SHE'D CALL ME.YOU ARELUCKY IF YOU GET A RESPONSE. DO YOU REMEBER WHEN OUR BOSSES TOLD US THAT FOLLOW UP AND FOLLOW THROUGH MADE THEM GLAD THEY CAME TO YOU? HOW COURTESY WAS TO BE A PRIORITY TO ALL CUSTOMERS, FRIENDS AND FAMILY?
I STILL BELIEVE IN THE OLD SCHOOL TRAINING. I THINK TODAY'S WOMEN WHOSE TITLE IS BIG-SHOT HAVE FORGOTTEN THEIR PLACE, PEOPLE ARE DOWN-RIGHT RUDE TODAY. I AM VERY DISCOURAGED VERY DISCOURAGED.I WONDER IF I'LL EVER FEEL PRODUCTIVE AGAIN. I HATED LOSING MY JIOB, MY HOME, MY CAR MY SANITY AND MY SELF RESPECT. I DO WISH YOU WELL.

STILL SEARCHING

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Joyce J. in Saint Louis, Missouri

36 months ago

Over Fifty in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am in my mid fifties in a job transition. I am currently networking and doing all the things that job coaches tell you to do to find that next job. It has been very discouraging when no one replies to completed applications and or emails. It seems people in their mid fifties are being forced out of the job search. Now applications ask for the year you finished high school or have gone as far as to request that if you are not currently employed, do not apply. It seems that experience and knowledge does not men a lot in the current job market. Anyone else having these same issues?

Same problems...I'm 51 been looking for 8 months. Have good skills and experience. It's a real joke...don't they know we will b the ones who will work the hardest, be on time, do a good job. A lot of us have responsibilities that won't allow us to fail. Getting to the end of the end of the rope here but staying faithful and encouraged as we all should. Oh yeah unemployment picture not 9 1/2% unemployed more like 25% unemployed to me...ok

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Forced into Looking in Arnold, Missouri

33 months ago

I am right there with you. My husband of 25 years, has decided to trade me in a younger model, so at 57 I'm looking for full time employment with benefits. He's been having this affair for almost 3 years and has been stashing money. I hired an attorney who is excellent, but I don't know how I'm going to pay him either. I have been told I'm overqualified and in the next breath since I don't have a college degree they are not interested. I am getting desperate, but I know there are many of us having this issue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

RENITA WATERS in CHESTERFIELD, Missouri

25 months ago

ALL OF YOU LADIES ARE SO RIGHT THE JOB MARKET IS HARD FOR OLDER WOMEN IN THIER FIFTIES LOOKING TO FIND EMPLOYMENT.SOCIETY SHOULD BE AWARE THAT WE ARE WOMEN THAT WILL DO 150 AND WHATEVER IT TAKES TO DO THE JOB RIGHT.I WENT BACK TO SCHOOL TO FINISH MY DEGREE AND GRADUATE THIS MAY 2012 FROM WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY ST.LOUIS MO.I ALSO BATTLE BREAST CANCER AND I AM A TWO YEAR SURVIVAL WHILE GOING TO SCHOOL I WAS WIFE, MOTHER.AND GRANDMOTHER HOLDING DOWN A HOUSEHOLD.I KNOW THAT AS WOMEN IN OUR FIFTIES WE ARE DEDICATED,WE CAN BE GREAT MENTOR TO THE YOUNGER GENERATION,WE HAVE REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE IN THE FIELD OF LIFE.MY STRONG DESIRE TO HELP YOUNG PEOPLE WITH THIER ACADEMIC,PERSONAL.AND SOCIAL NEED.SO LADIES DONT GIVE UP I WILL START MY JOB SEARCH IN JULY WE MUST STICK TOGETHER UNTIL OUR VOICES ARE HEARD.THE JOB MARKET MUST UNDERSTAND WE ARE STRONG CANDIDATES FOR ANY JOBS WE APPLY FOR BECAUSE OF OUR MATURITY IN OUR FIFTIES AND THAT IS THE BEST AGE TO BE.............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

alemac in Saint Louis, Missouri

24 months ago

Still Searching in Saint Louis, Missouri said: YES YES YES I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A LONG TIME. MY HUSBAND TOLD ME I WAS TOO OLD TO GET A JOB THAT I'D NEVER FIND ONE. WHEN I'VE BEEN LOOKING ON-LINE HE SAYS,WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT. YOU WONT GET ANYTHING.
NOW WHETHER HE MEANT IT MEAN OR NOT DIDN'T MATTER. ALL I KNOW IS I STOOD IN LINE THAT REACHED SCHNUCK'S STREET LEVEL ENTRACE ALONG WIH 100 OTHER PEOPLE MANY MY AGE FOR 1 LOUSY PART TIME POSITION SHE TOLD ME IF I MATCHED HER QUALIFICATIONS SHE'D CALL ME.YOU ARELUCKY IF YOU GET A RESPONSE. DO YOU REMEBER WHEN OUR BOSSES TOLD US THAT FOLLOW UP AND FOLLOW THROUGH MADE THEM GLAD THEY CAME TO YOU? HOW COURTESY WAS TO BE A PRIORITY TO ALL CUSTOMERS, FRIENDS AND FAMILY?
I STILL BELIEVE IN THE OLD SCHOOL TRAINING. I THINK TODAY'S WOMEN WHOSE TITLE IS BIG-SHOT HAVE FORGOTTEN THEIR PLACE, PEOPLE ARE DOWN-RIGHT RUDE TODAY. I AM VERY DISCOURAGED VERY DISCOURAGED.I WONDER IF I'LL EVER FEEL PRODUCTIVE AGAIN. I HATED LOSING MY JIOB, MY HOME, MY CAR MY SANITY AND MY SELF RESPECT. I DO WISH YOU WELL.

STILL SEARCHING

Hello fellow St Louis job hunters: I know the feeling and yes it discouraging. All I can say is Pray and keep the faith. Man say no and God thru Jesus Christ can make it ok! Good Luck and may God bless and keep us all in his loving care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alemac in Saint Louis, Missouri

24 months ago

Still Searching in Saint Louis, Missouri said: YES YES YES I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A LONG TIME. MY HUSBAND TOLD ME I WAS TOO OLD TO GET A JOB THAT I'D NEVER FIND ONE. WHEN I'VE BEEN LOOKING ON-LINE HE SAYS,WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT. YOU WONT GET ANYTHING.

STILL SEARCHING

Hello fellow St Louis job hunters: I know the feeling and yes it discouraging. All I can say is Pray and keep the faith. Man say no and God thru Jesus Christ can make it ok! Good Luck and may God bless and keep us all in his loving care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

cruisepuppy7452a@yahoo.com in Saint Louis, Missouri

1 month ago

Praying isn't going to fix this. We older adults need to seriously band together, meet up, try to form a company that only hires older adults. Something tells me we can get a business loan, Guys, if they refuse, we can sue on bias. Go public if we are rejected We can sit around and complain, or band together, help each other out. I don't know about you, but I need a job, the income and the market isn't open to hiring us. Any takers?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Fight For Your Rights in Anaheim, California

1 month ago

Forced into Looking in Arnold, Missouri said: I am right there with you. My husband of 25 years, has decided to trade me in a younger model, so at 57 I'm looking for full time employment with benefits. He's been having this affair for almost 3 years and has been stashing money. I hired an attorney who is excellent, but I don't know how I'm going to pay him either. I have been told I'm overqualified and in the next breath since I don't have a college degree they are not interested. I am getting desperate, but I know there are many of us having this issue.

Hi
I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, make sure you put money aside for yourself as well without his knowing.
See if your attorney can do your case Pro-Bono (free) or at least give you a payment plan. Hang in there, I will keep you in prayer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

1 month ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this, I'm 55 y/o (but really I'm 38 and so in denial - LOL ).

But I have been experiencing the same thing here in CA. The employers are even asking for date of birth now on the applications and that is so against the law here in this state. Just blows me away.

I been working temp jobs here and there but it's mostly just a waste, my last assignment my supervisor was 23 y/o and didn't know his head from a hole in the ground, how he got his IT Tech position I don't know, he couldn't even figure out how to connect 2 computer monitors to a desk top computer, never got them to work either. LOL

I just pray that if Jesus is coming back, that its soon because this economy is not getting any better but getting worse.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

anne nava in London, United Kingdom

1 month ago

Hi,

We know that it is hard for us to look for jobs within this age bracket and harder to fix our files. Have you heard about Jobform? They act like organizer and it seems to me it is beneficial as we tend to lose our memories at a split second. Have you experience that stupid face when you are trying to figure out where you placed your glasses and you realized it was just over your head? lol!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

dotcom60 in Saint Louis, Missouri

1 month ago

cruisepuppy7452a@yahoo.com in Saint Louis, Missouri said: Praying isn't going to fix this. We older adults need to seriously band together, meet up, try to form a company that only hires older adults. Something tells me we can get a business loan, Guys, if they refuse, we can sue on bias. Go public if we are rejected We can sit around and complain, or band together, help each other out. I don't know about you, but I need a job, the income and the market isn't open to hiring us. Any takers?

I too am feeling the rejection...in the automotive industry for 15yrs until company closed the plant and kicked up to the curb. Ever since been doing temp jobs that never hire or last!!Got laid off from the last one a week ago...too young to get full retirement or social security so still need to work. I agree we need to find a way to get employment for people our age.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada

1 month ago

dotcom60 in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I too am feeling the rejection...in the automotive industry for 15yrs until company closed the plant and kicked up to the curb. Ever since been doing temp jobs that never hire or last!!Got laid off from the last one a week ago...too young to get full retirement or social security so still need to work. I agree we need to find a way to get employment for people our age.

I don't understand? The stock market is making new highs. Housing is looking healthy and recent unemployment reports show us as having replaced all the jobs that were lost. Things are fine. Just kidding.

If you are over 50, forget about another career. Best you can hope for is a minimum wage job.

1 month ago

anne nava in London, United Kingdom said: Hi,

We know that it is hard for us to look for jobs within this age bracket and harder to fix our files. Have you heard about Jobform? They act like organizer and it seems to me it is beneficial as we tend to lose our memories at a split second. Have you experience that stupid face when you are trying to figure out where you placed your glasses and you realized it was just over your head? lol!

LOL, Yes and this has been happening to me a lot lately with looking for my glasses and forgetting their on top of my head. Just too funny.

I researched the jobform but it looks like they charge a fee.
I try to stay away from those kind of websites.

1 month ago

D

1 month ago

oK, something is wrong, I been trying to post with no luck for some reason

1 month ago

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada said: If you are over 50, forget about another career. Best you can hope for is a minimum wage job.

No way, Nope, not gonna settle for less. No one should.
It's never too late to start a new career or use your skills that are transferable to a different job.

Believe me, its hard going from fifty five thousand a year to twelve thousand or even less.

In order for ones survival no matter where you reside, you would have to work at least two and a half to three jobs to survive on minimum wage and that's after the government taxes you to death.

Sorry, your comment just hit a nerve because my friends are constantly making the same statement regarding taking a minimum wage job but when I ask if they would consider working for minimum wage, all I hear is Crickets. LOL

1 month ago

Fight For Your Rights in Anaheim, California said: No way, Nope, not gonna settle for less. No one should.
It's never too late to start a new career or use your skills that are transferable to a different job.

Believe me, its hard going from fifty five thousand a year to twelve thousand or even less.

In order for ones survival no matter where you reside, you would have to work at least two and a half to three jobs to survive on minimum wage and that's after the government taxes you to death.

Sorry, your comment just hit a nerve because my friends are constantly making the same statement regarding taking a minimum wage job but when I ask if they would consider working for minimum wage, all I hear is Crickets. LOL

Funny, I said the same thing a year ago.

1 month ago

Ruby Slippers in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Funny, I said the same thing a year ago.

LOL. Really ?
I'm a newbie to the forums here, so this was a first for me. :)

1 month ago

OK, I was speaking with my neighbor (she is 62) last night and she informed me that after working at Walmart for 11 years she is barely making 11 an hour. I was shocked.
She also gets her 40 hrs a week and works a good hour away by bus. She told her manager she'd like to transfer to the walmart that's 5 minutes away but was warned that if she transferred her full time status could not be guaranteed nor her employment.
Wow, what a shock, I am now thinking Jesus has to be coming back because this is a lot of BS to deal with.

1 month ago

Fight For Your Rights in Anaheim, California said: OK, I was speaking with my neighbor (she is 62) last night and she informed me that after working at Walmart for 11 years she is barely making 11 an hour. I was shocked.
She also gets her 40 hrs a week and works a good hour away by bus. She told her manager she'd like to transfer to the walmart that's 5 minutes away but was warned that if she transferred her full time status could not be guaranteed nor her employment.
Wow, what a shock, I am now thinking Jesus has to be coming back because this is a lot of BS to deal with.

Jesus has been coming back for the last 2,000 years.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.