Job Search for individuals over 50

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Over Fifty in Saint Louis, Missouri

43 months ago

I am in my mid fifties in a job transition. I am currently networking and doing all the things that job coaches tell you to do to find that next job. It has been very discouraging when no one replies to completed applications and or emails. It seems people in their mid fifties are being forced out of the job search. Now applications ask for the year you finished high school or have gone as far as to request that if you are not currently employed, do not apply. It seems that experience and knowledge does not men a lot in the current job market. Anyone else having these same issues?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Still Searching in Saint Louis, Missouri

41 months ago

Over Fifty in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am in my mid fifties in a job transition. I am currently networking and doing all the things that job coaches tell you to do to find that next job. It has been very discouraging when no one replies to completed applications and or emails. It seems people in their mid fifties are being forced out of the job search. Now applications ask for the year you finished high school or have gone as far as to request that if you are not currently employed, do not apply. It seems that experience and knowledge does not men a lot in the current job market. Anyone else having these same issues?

YES YES YES I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A LONG TIME. MY HUSBAND TOLD ME I WAS TOO OLD TO GET A JOB THAT I'D NEVER FIND ONE. WHEN I'VE BEEN LOOKING ON-LINE HE SAYS,WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT. YOU WONT GET ANYTHING.
NOW WHETHER HE MEANT IT MEAN OR NOT DIDN'T MATTER. ALL I KNOW IS I STOOD IN LINE THAT REACHED SCHNUCK'S STREET LEVEL ENTRACE ALONG WIH 100 OTHER PEOPLE MANY MY AGE FOR 1 LOUSY PART TIME POSITION SHE TOLD ME IF I MATCHED HER QUALIFICATIONS SHE'D CALL ME.YOU ARELUCKY IF YOU GET A RESPONSE. DO YOU REMEBER WHEN OUR BOSSES TOLD US THAT FOLLOW UP AND FOLLOW THROUGH MADE THEM GLAD THEY CAME TO YOU? HOW COURTESY WAS TO BE A PRIORITY TO ALL CUSTOMERS, FRIENDS AND FAMILY?
I STILL BELIEVE IN THE OLD SCHOOL TRAINING. I THINK TODAY'S WOMEN WHOSE TITLE IS BIG-SHOT HAVE FORGOTTEN THEIR PLACE, PEOPLE ARE DOWN-RIGHT RUDE TODAY. I AM VERY DISCOURAGED VERY DISCOURAGED.I WONDER IF I'LL EVER FEEL PRODUCTIVE AGAIN. I HATED LOSING MY JIOB, MY HOME, MY CAR MY SANITY AND MY SELF RESPECT. I DO WISH YOU WELL.

STILL SEARCHING

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joyce J. in Saint Louis, Missouri

33 months ago

Over Fifty in Saint Louis, Missouri said: I am in my mid fifties in a job transition. I am currently networking and doing all the things that job coaches tell you to do to find that next job. It has been very discouraging when no one replies to completed applications and or emails. It seems people in their mid fifties are being forced out of the job search. Now applications ask for the year you finished high school or have gone as far as to request that if you are not currently employed, do not apply. It seems that experience and knowledge does not men a lot in the current job market. Anyone else having these same issues?

Same problems...I'm 51 been looking for 8 months. Have good skills and experience. It's a real joke...don't they know we will b the ones who will work the hardest, be on time, do a good job. A lot of us have responsibilities that won't allow us to fail. Getting to the end of the end of the rope here but staying faithful and encouraged as we all should. Oh yeah unemployment picture not 9 1/2% unemployed more like 25% unemployed to me...ok

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Forced into Looking in Arnold, Missouri

30 months ago

I am right there with you. My husband of 25 years, has decided to trade me in a younger model, so at 57 I'm looking for full time employment with benefits. He's been having this affair for almost 3 years and has been stashing money. I hired an attorney who is excellent, but I don't know how I'm going to pay him either. I have been told I'm overqualified and in the next breath since I don't have a college degree they are not interested. I am getting desperate, but I know there are many of us having this issue.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

RENITA WATERS in CHESTERFIELD, Missouri

21 months ago

ALL OF YOU LADIES ARE SO RIGHT THE JOB MARKET IS HARD FOR OLDER WOMEN IN THIER FIFTIES LOOKING TO FIND EMPLOYMENT.SOCIETY SHOULD BE AWARE THAT WE ARE WOMEN THAT WILL DO 150 AND WHATEVER IT TAKES TO DO THE JOB RIGHT.I WENT BACK TO SCHOOL TO FINISH MY DEGREE AND GRADUATE THIS MAY 2012 FROM WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY ST.LOUIS MO.I ALSO BATTLE BREAST CANCER AND I AM A TWO YEAR SURVIVAL WHILE GOING TO SCHOOL I WAS WIFE, MOTHER.AND GRANDMOTHER HOLDING DOWN A HOUSEHOLD.I KNOW THAT AS WOMEN IN OUR FIFTIES WE ARE DEDICATED,WE CAN BE GREAT MENTOR TO THE YOUNGER GENERATION,WE HAVE REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE IN THE FIELD OF LIFE.MY STRONG DESIRE TO HELP YOUNG PEOPLE WITH THIER ACADEMIC,PERSONAL.AND SOCIAL NEED.SO LADIES DONT GIVE UP I WILL START MY JOB SEARCH IN JULY WE MUST STICK TOGETHER UNTIL OUR VOICES ARE HEARD.THE JOB MARKET MUST UNDERSTAND WE ARE STRONG CANDIDATES FOR ANY JOBS WE APPLY FOR BECAUSE OF OUR MATURITY IN OUR FIFTIES AND THAT IS THE BEST AGE TO BE.............

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

alemac in Saint Louis, Missouri

21 months ago

Still Searching in Saint Louis, Missouri said: YES YES YES I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A LONG TIME. MY HUSBAND TOLD ME I WAS TOO OLD TO GET A JOB THAT I'D NEVER FIND ONE. WHEN I'VE BEEN LOOKING ON-LINE HE SAYS,WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT. YOU WONT GET ANYTHING.
NOW WHETHER HE MEANT IT MEAN OR NOT DIDN'T MATTER. ALL I KNOW IS I STOOD IN LINE THAT REACHED SCHNUCK'S STREET LEVEL ENTRACE ALONG WIH 100 OTHER PEOPLE MANY MY AGE FOR 1 LOUSY PART TIME POSITION SHE TOLD ME IF I MATCHED HER QUALIFICATIONS SHE'D CALL ME.YOU ARELUCKY IF YOU GET A RESPONSE. DO YOU REMEBER WHEN OUR BOSSES TOLD US THAT FOLLOW UP AND FOLLOW THROUGH MADE THEM GLAD THEY CAME TO YOU? HOW COURTESY WAS TO BE A PRIORITY TO ALL CUSTOMERS, FRIENDS AND FAMILY?
I STILL BELIEVE IN THE OLD SCHOOL TRAINING. I THINK TODAY'S WOMEN WHOSE TITLE IS BIG-SHOT HAVE FORGOTTEN THEIR PLACE, PEOPLE ARE DOWN-RIGHT RUDE TODAY. I AM VERY DISCOURAGED VERY DISCOURAGED.I WONDER IF I'LL EVER FEEL PRODUCTIVE AGAIN. I HATED LOSING MY JIOB, MY HOME, MY CAR MY SANITY AND MY SELF RESPECT. I DO WISH YOU WELL.

STILL SEARCHING

Hello fellow St Louis job hunters: I know the feeling and yes it discouraging. All I can say is Pray and keep the faith. Man say no and God thru Jesus Christ can make it ok! Good Luck and may God bless and keep us all in his loving care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

alemac in Saint Louis, Missouri

21 months ago

Still Searching in Saint Louis, Missouri said: YES YES YES I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR A LONG TIME. MY HUSBAND TOLD ME I WAS TOO OLD TO GET A JOB THAT I'D NEVER FIND ONE. WHEN I'VE BEEN LOOKING ON-LINE HE SAYS,WHY ARE YOU DOING THAT. YOU WONT GET ANYTHING.

STILL SEARCHING

Hello fellow St Louis job hunters: I know the feeling and yes it discouraging. All I can say is Pray and keep the faith. Man say no and God thru Jesus Christ can make it ok! Good Luck and may God bless and keep us all in his loving care.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.