What are the best neigborhoods in Staten Island?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 88)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Host

Where is the good life? For families? Singles?

Reply - Report abuse

Kim - Staten Islandi in Brooklyn, New York

91 months ago

Hi -

I'm not sure I would go by the Zip Codes, I live in 10306, my town is great, but in the same zip code about 2 miles away you can find yourself in a different demographic. I would suggest looking town by town - Anything South Shore is best - MidShore isn't so bad.
I WOULD Recommend THE TOWNS BELOW:

Annadale ***
Bay Terrace
Grant City
New Dorp Heights or Oakwood Heights
RichmondTown ***
Great Kills ***
Huguenot ***
Prince's Bay ***
Tottenville ***
Lighhouse Hill ***
HighRock ***

Each town is has a pretty good community - but like anywhere else none are perfect. You should visit - take a ride around in the different town - see which ones you connect to ...

Have fun - Hope this helps..

KIM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Priscilla in Brooklyn, New York

91 months ago

Kim - Staten Islandi in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi -

I'm not sure I would go by the Zip Codes, I live in 10306, my town is great, but in the same zip code about 2 miles away you can find yourself in a different demographic. I would suggest looking town by town - Anything South Shore is best - MidShore isn't so bad.

Annadale ***
Bay Terrace
Grant City
RichmondTown ***
Great Kills ***
Huguenot ***
Prince's Bay ***
Tottenville ***
Lighhouse Hill ***
HighRock ***

Each town is has a pretty good community - but like anywhere else none are perfect. You should visit - take a ride around in the different town - see which ones you connect to ...

KIM

I am planning to buy a house in Staten Island. I just went to Bulls Head today. Is it close to the garbage landfill? In which area you have to deal with the problem of bad smell?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Ron

90 months ago

I live near the Ferry and have never been on welfare or used or sold drugs what is the definition of a good neighborhood if you have the KKK in one and the drug dealers in the other what is the differance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (59) Reply - Report abuse

Diana

90 months ago

i am looking for a home as many first time home buyers i am so scared that i might make a wrong choice of where to purchase a new home where i would have to live with my family as a permanent residence due to we are looking for more space and comfort snd also somewhere safe to be able to raise our 1 year old grandchild i live in park slope Brooklyn where i have lived for almost 30 years and it is a big adjustment for us to make, the reason for the move is that the building has been sold to a new owner and hes making an offer, the diliema here is i don't know where to start looking finding resources or even homes and how to go about finacing going about a loan what are the first steps to take i have no clue we work in Brooklyn and are looking for a nieghborhood in Staten Island that would acommadate us with transportation to Brooklyn my sister works in the city and that is also an issue because she want to move with us so i figure why not look at two family homes and we can share all expenses my question is where can i look in staten island i want a safe nieghborhood a place where i feel safe to come home too. i really don't know staten island so many people tell me all kinds of bad things about the island, i am very confused can you help on where i can start searching or call for help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Staten Island, New York

86 months ago

There are good and bad parts of Staten Island, it just depends on the street not north or south. I live in Graniteville and the townhouse is nice but the trash on the streets and noise is a huge downside. 311 does not help because street sweepers can not come here and sanitation can not pick up branches due to some Japanese Beetle outbreak that we had last summer.

It is all preferences. Tottenville was voted as the best the best area for families in Staten Island since there is an acre of park for every 27 kids. However, a Sunnyside schools( North of 278) rated better than Tottenville. This is part of the 120th pct. There is crime in both the 120 and 122 PCTs...it is all about preferences.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Bayside, New York

85 months ago

Frank - I think Kim's advice is both responsible and accurate. It's not being a bigot, it's being realistic. Before projects and public assistance were prevalent on the Island, the areas were vibrant and safe to live in. Both of my parents grew up in New Brighton and know the north shore areas very well. They continue to cringe everytime they go to a restaurant over there or visit some family who still live there. Most of the people who have moved in those areas have made stapleton, new brighton, west brighton etc. empty shells of what they used to be. Anyone would be foolish to move into any of those areas. It's depressing to drive down jersey street and see the obviously drugged up people roaming lazily across the street as you are trying to drive by. There are small pockets but are too close to these areas for comfort. I would agree with the list of neighborhoods originally given, and would add Grasmere if you want to be closer to the city in a safe neighborhood.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (47) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

rezzo

85 months ago

thank you lily.
its sad that so many blue collar people aquire a home and think that their area is better than others and look down on people who get on government assistance . they need to do this so they can feel better about them selves. i mention blue collar because most dont have the college experience and bigotry is born of ignorance.
i am sure there are educated bigots but the numbers on the island dont indicate the majority are college educated. it doesnt matter the island is a great place to live but very boring.
the mindset is totally different than the rest of the city.
its almost like living upstate in some ways.
all of the island offers wonderful places to live and i urge people to move here. lets bring in more sophistication to staten island and make the bigots a minority.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

brian in Las Vegas, Nevada

84 months ago

My wife and I are thinking of renting an apt in New Dorp SI. I just wanted to know if it was a good place or not, and if the commute on the bridge was as bad as I have heard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (14) Reply - Report abuse

Lily in Staten Island, New York

84 months ago

thank you rizzo for agreeing with me :) glad to see there's hope on this island.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (22) Reply - Report abuse

Lily in Staten Island, New York

84 months ago

New dorp is okay. It's just kinda crowded, IMO. I think hylan blvd is just so chaotic and there's a lot of traffic. are you refering to the verrazzano bridge? if so, the commute is fairly decent. but once the evening rolls around there's a lot of traffic..maybe you should look for apartments in grasmere? or south beach? they're closer to the bridge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

rezzo

81 months ago

what is it with the ignorant bigots who live on staten island?
why do you think you are better than people on public assistance or welfare? why do you think you are better than brooklyn?
i spend a great deal of time teaching my college students the basis for bigotry is ignorance. you people live in the inner city period. you are not living on a fancy estate. how dare you presume you are better than others who have to depend on government help? its people like you that bring shame to our country. you are the ugly americans. kim why dont you spend some time taking a civics class instead of making derogatory comments about others.
maybe the people on staten island like to imagine they are better than others because staten island is such a problematic borough.
grow up you arent better than anyone. you just bring shame to staten island and nyc.
by the way do you know the crime rate for the south shore?
i doubt it.it makes me sad to be born and raised here when i hear dummies like you speak.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (66) Reply - Report abuse

Indeed Help in Stamford, Connecticut

81 months ago

Hello Everyone, Please remember that these forums are for educational purposes. It's important that you share your experiences and advice for the good of everyone who visits but engaging in personal disputes does not help. Please try to ignore personal attacks and keep the discussion on track. Thanks! Indeed Admin

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (42) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Staten Island, New York

80 months ago

hrld4runner in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi, my husband and i are looking to buy in S.I. how is west brighton in richmond county. it is on delafield avenue

That is a decent area...I live off of Forest Ave. It is close to some great resturants...Nurnberger Bierhaus is great!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

John Q. Public in New York, New York

79 months ago

JesusAVES in HIOWARD BEACH, New York said: HI,MY HUSBAND AND I ARE BUYING A HOUSE IN ANNADALE,STATEN ISLAND. WE CURRENTLY LIVE IN QUEEN,N.Y,BUT I WANT TO WORK AND GO TO SCHOOL IS STATEN ISLAND. WE ARE IN OUR EARLY 20'S. DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE ANNADALE AREA? DO YOU THINK I WOULD HAVE A PROBLEM FINDING A JOB IN THAT AREA, FOR MEDICAL RECEPTIONIST?

THANK YELITZA

Yelitza,
Annadale is a very nice, quiet and family friendly town that is close to major shopping and great schools. You will have no problem obtaining employment in your field as there are numerous doctor/medical facilities in the area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sonya in Staten Island, New York

77 months ago

Host said: Where is the good life? For families? Singles?

10312, 10314 great places. arden heights is great. aspen knolls community

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Randi in Brooklyn, New York

77 months ago

Hi Kim, My family is planning to buy a house in Staten Island, but many of our family memeber works or go to school in Manhattan, so i am looking for a good neighborhood that is safe and near the south ferry. Also i love my pets so i would like to know is there any pet friendly neighborhoods in Staten Island?

Kim - IN Staten Island in Brooklyn, New York said: I live in Richmondtown, SI., w/ my husband it's a beautiful area, I have a view of the light house and it has a small old town feel. The schools are great in this area if you are looking to have children. Lots of churches in this area and private schools. My husband and I are a young couple in our early thirties, we like this area as it is away from some of the more congested areas of SI. Unfortunately people continue to move and build and double park so in some areas it looks more like Brooklyn. I would suggest moving on the South Shore where there is less riff-raff and low crime.(not to mention less traffic) You will pay higher prices in theses neighborhoods as they are better...So be prepared if you are renting you can go to SILIVE.com or Craiglist to browse some adds. Hope this helps.
In you need specific towns I could suggest some for you just reply to posting..
Stay away from any place close to the ferry , its basically for those on Welfare & Public assitance...as you would guess the crime rate/drug wars etc. are higher in these areas. .the further South the better.

-Kim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lia in Brooklyn, New York

75 months ago

Lily in Staten Island, New York said: thank you rizzo for agreeing with me :) glad to see there's hope on this island.

is midland beach a nice and safe area for families to live?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

elmo in Staten Island, New York

68 months ago

brian in Las Vegas, Nevada said: My wife and I are thinking of renting an apt in New Dorp SI. I just wanted to know if it was a good place or not, and if the commute on the bridge was as bad as I have heard.

New Dorp is ok. You can shimmy straight up Hylan Blvd to get to the bridge. Yeah, there's a lot of traffic, but it moves.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

elmo in Staten Island, New York

68 months ago

Amanda in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi, we are looking to buy in SI in a safe, family and dog friendly, great public school area. We are married, in our early 30s with a 1 yr old and a dog. My husband works in the city, so need good and easy public commute. We are interested in townhouses/condos/single family house, within walking distanc to parks. Close to shops and Resturants would be a big plus. The areas we are looking into are:

Grasmere
Grant City
South Beach
New Dorp
Great Kills
Concord
Arrochar
Dongan Hill
Emerson Hill

I would love to hear any positive and negative input on these areas we have chosen, thanks!!!

There's a single family home on a double lot for sale on my block in Castleton Corners - near the junction of Victory Blvd & Manor Rd. Lots of bus lines here, both to the ferry & express. It's a nice dead end family oriented block.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Xime in Phoenix, Arizona

67 months ago

Hi, we are moving to Staten Island on July 2010 (two children: 1st grade and a 2 year old), and we should live in the Island due to my husband work.
We are looking for a house/condo/townhouse in a nice residential area in the south of SI. Which areas I should take a look?
Can anyone recommend a GOOD school for my son? ... he will start 1st grade.
please help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NativeStatenIslander63 in Staten Island, New York

66 months ago

My advice: Take your time and try to find a real estate agent who knows this Island for a very long time. Ideally, I think you should rent first. Traffic, commute, neighbors and experience can vary exponentially on this Island. Better to see for yourself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Xime in Phoenix, Arizona

66 months ago

Thank you for your time to reply my post, I really apreciate it :)
It is nice to find people like you that can share their experience. I have never been in NY. My husband will be working in the north shore of SI, very close to Bayonne bridge.
As we have a child who will be entering to 1st grade this September, there are 4 elementary schools that people had suggested us, like:
PS 3 - MARGARET GIOIOSA/PLEASANT PLA (zip code 10309)
PS 6 - CORPORAL ALLAN F. KIVLEHAN SCHOOL (zip code 10309)
PS 4 - MAURICE WOLLIN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (zip code 10312)
PS 36 - JOHN C. DRUMGOOLE SCHOOL (zip code 10312)

yes, you are right, we are going to rent first, I don't think we are going to buy in SI as the project is only for a couple of years, and then, who knows.

My husband prefers to live in the same island, rather than living in New Jersey, for example, he doesn't want to commute every day, and he told me that there are very nice areas in the island, like in the south area. We will look for a townhouse or something like that. We live in Prescott, AZ, and here is very nice, also very nice to raise our children; but every change is a challenge. I will be in contact with some realtors for our house searching around any of that four elementary schools.

Thank you again for your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in Staten Island, New York

63 months ago

Wow, I can't believe people are naming good and bad areas on this site. Are any of you professionals? How do you know what area is right for what a particular person is looking for. Some people want an easy commute, some people like to be in a quieter area and some wish to be around hustle and bustle.

I am a realtor for many years and every area of Staten Island is a good area. It's what suits the purpose of the indvidual and the feel of a neighborhood is a personal preference.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (32) Reply - Report abuse

Eeh in Staten Island, New York

63 months ago

Linda... "I am a realtor for many years and every area of Staten Island is a good area. It's what suits the purpose of the indvidual and the feel of a neighborhood is a personal preference."

As a wife of a cop who actually works in the 120 (Stapleton, Port Richmond, etc...), which is one of the busiest precincts in the city, I'd have to disagree that EVERY area of Staten Island is a good area. Would you really put a nice family smack in the middle of Jersey Street?? How about down the road from Holland Houses or any other projects? I wouldn't put my worst enemy in that area. Granted, some of the North Shore is nice... I wouldn't lie and say ALL of Staten Island. Be a realist....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (46) / No Reply - Report abuse

Eeh in Staten Island, New York

63 months ago

"Cultural melting pot" = open season for one culture to prey on another. As a flight attendent, you're probably not at home as often to hear the ruckus in the streets. You sound more like a hippie than anything. I moved here from North Jersey (lived 10 minutes away from "culturally diverse" Newark) originally. And not knowing anything about this island, I moved to the North Shore. Wouldn't you know there was a shooting right around the corner from my house in Graniteville that first month I was there. Apparently there were drug dealers living there, the "cultural diversity" you speak of. I moved to the South Shore and never looked back. The North Shore could keep its culture. If I wanted culture, I'll drive to a museum. If your a realist who cares about the safety of your family, South Shore is for you. If your a free loving hippie and blind to all the crime in the North Shore, than that is for you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Hostess de l'air of Staten Island in Brooklyn, New York

63 months ago

To Eeh in Staten Island, New York: There are police probings and crime investigations that go on in South Shore of Staten Island as well (I have watched news programs where people on the South Shore were escourted out of their homes in handcuffs). You speak of isolated incidents as though they are the norm. Brooklyn has a more dense population then all the boroughs of New York, so they will have the highest crime rates (read the NY Daily News). Similarly, the North Shore is very urban when compared with the South Shore so you might see higher crime rates than you would in the South Shore of course. However, when you find that the murder rates are 6 (for the entire island)out the hundreds of thousands of people that live on this island you can't say that the North Shore is dangerous. And you don't have to be a hippie to love diversity. I have heard people from Manhattan and Brooklyn say that they wouldn't move to Staten Island because "the people there are so Jersey Shore". My question to you is: Is their comment correct." Everything that you said in your commentary is false, but I have to correct you online because I don't want people taking your comments at face value. Truth is: You don't know me you are just making guesses and trying to put them as facts. For your information, every 16 days that I spend working, I spend 14 of those days home. My family lives here and I hear no complaints when I return home. There is no "ruckus" in the streets as you have suggested. Newark is not "culturally diverse". It is a prodominately black community. Just like Annadale is a prodominately white community. Cultural diversity is when people of different backgrounds and races live together--not where one race is the dominate group. Contrary to what you suggested in you e-mail, cultural melting pot does not mean that one race will prey on the other. That is a comment from a weak minded person. No one has the ability to prey on the beliefs that I have control over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

florida10 in New Port Richey, Florida

61 months ago

Which area in SI would you recommend for a family of 4? Two kids, ages 10 and 8, I'm an RN. Or any other areas close to NYC. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Lisa in New York, New York

61 months ago

How is Dongan Hill to live in? I have three small children and would like to purchase a home in the area of Dongan Hills since everything is in walking distance. A close friend of mine mention Buel Ave. is close to everything. Any input is highly apperciated....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Debra in Staten Island, New York

60 months ago

Priscilla in Brooklyn, New York said: I am planning to buy a house in Staten Island. I just went to Bulls Head today. Is it close to the garbage landfill? In which area you have to deal with the problem of bad smell?

I know that many people like the South Shore. Personally, I love the North Shore. I am a medical professional and I live in Westerleigh. I love it here! There is cultural diversity and a sense of community. I enjoy the older restored homes and the tree lined streets. The neighbors are friendly and the streets are clean. We do not have anyone loitering on the corners and there are plenty of churches, community activities and family based events. I moved here from a lovely neighborhood in Brooklyn ten years ago, and have not regretted one day. I have never once smelled the bad smell from the dump in my neighborhood! I love Westerleigh!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

lisa in Staten Island, New York

60 months ago

The landfill is closed now and there is a proposed park being built on the site. If you want to get an idea of the proximity of the old landfill and other areas:
www.statenislandusa.com/map.html
Fresh Kills Park is noted on this map, which was the landfill. You can find information about the park and proposed plans for it.
Good luck with your search.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Colter in Elmhurst, Illinois

60 months ago

brian in Las Vegas, Nevada said: My wife and I are thinking of renting an apt in New Dorp SI. I just wanted to know if it was a good place or not, and if the commute on the bridge was as bad as I have heard.

I lived on the island for three years. New Dorp is pretty decent. Traffic during commuting hours(+/- 3 hours) is INSANE going into Brooklyn and Manhattan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Colter in Elmhurst, Illinois

60 months ago

A few general comments- I was stationed in Staten Island while I was in the Coast Guard 03 to 07. I didn't like the South Shore of SI. It's very "Jersey Shore". Sorry to stereotype, but its true. When people ask me about my time in SI, I say "It's like living in a cross between the city and the country, but with the benefits of neither." However, I was 21 years old and was not looking for the things that you folks are looking for.
I really like the following neighborhoods for their proximity to THE REAL CITY, THE FERRY, narrow twisting streets, and the abundance of BEAUTIFUL unique houses:

Emerson Hill- This is where I lived. One of SI's best kept secrets. Awesome Italian grocery stores and affordable houses with views. I often didn't lock my door!

Grymes Hill- Located near a nice liberal arts college. Very nice forested neighborhood. Probably expensive.

Concord- Also a nice, down to earth neighborhood.

West Brighton- Great local shops and cafes abound and very close to some amazing city parks, such as the "green belt".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl from Staten Island NY in Brick, New Jersey

56 months ago

Brenda in Owego, New York said: I am a Certified Nursing Assistant currently living in Upstate NY but will be moving to the Staten Island area in August. I am trying to get some in put on my job opportunities there. I am currently in a nursing home but would like to go to the hospital setting. I would like to find a place where I can work who will also help pay some of my tuition to go back to school for my LPN.

Brenda, Let me ask you are you still looking for a place on Staten Island, b/c I want to sell mine. Great Commute, 1/2 block from a hospital. Let know if your interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Cheryl from Staten Island NY in Brick, New Jersey

56 months ago

Lisa in New York, New York said: How is Dongan Hill to live in? I have three small children and would like to purchase a home in the area of Dongan Hills since everything is in walking distance. A close friend of mine mention Buel Ave. is close to everything. Any input is highly apperciated....

Lisa, Iam looking to sell my house in Dongan Hills and walking distance to Buel Ave. I loved it I grew up in Dongan Hills.
Let me know if your still looking and interested.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Alice in New York, New York

55 months ago

I am considering purchasing a home in the Randall Manor area near Snug Harbor. Is that a good neighborhood to raise a child and also commuting to work in Manhattan?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

lily in Staten Island, New York

55 months ago

Alice in New York, New York said: I am considering purchasing a home in the Randall Manor area near Snug Harbor. Is that a good neighborhood to raise a child and also commuting to work in Manhattan?

yeah it's a really nice neighborhood. although there are rough sections nearby like castleton/west brighton/st. george..but honestly i dont think its a bad neighborhood at all. i love the homely feel to randall manor..the homes are gorgeous..it looks like a real neighborhood and the commute to the ferry is very close and easy. best of luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Alice in New York, New York

55 months ago

Thanks for the feedback Lily. i get the feeling of hominess too. I wonder how long the commute would be to the ferry...
I did pass by the areas that you mention but it seems several miles away. Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

elmo in Bloomfield, New Jersey

51 months ago

Castleton Corners off victory, bordering Westerleigh is nice. Lots of buses to the ferry plus express buses to the city. There's 2 big brand new houses near Met food, too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

DJ Bob in Monroe Township, New Jersey

51 months ago

Kim - Staten Islandi in Brooklyn, New York said: Hi -

Annadale ***
Bay Terrace
Grant City
RichmondTown ***
Great Kills ***
Huguenot ***
Prince's Bay ***
Tottenville ***
Lighhouse Hill ***
HighRock ***

KIM

I grew up in Staten Island and your list is very good. Just forgot Eltingville and Pleasant Plains

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

annmarie in Brooklyn, New York

48 months ago

hi all i am about to buy my first home in si in "graniteville" on ada drive can anyone please tell me about this area? is it safe are the schools good? I have a 1 year old and love to walk at night with him is it safe? any input would be great thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sikid in Richardson, Texas

47 months ago

annmarie in Brooklyn, New York said: hi all i am about to buy my first home in si in "graniteville" on ada drive can anyone please tell me about this area? is it safe are the schools good? I have a 1 year old and love to walk at night with him is it safe? any input would be great thanks

It an ok area,would'nt sugest walkin at night tho.i have to say sunnyside is a great area ,some of the islands best schools,two great parks clove lake and silver lake also 5min away from v bridge if u p.t it 53 takes you to 82 nd in b.k and its five min to s.i ferry.

beth in Staten Island, New York

47 months ago

shouldn't you have asked this BEFORE buying a house?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Mercedes in New York, New York

46 months ago

Hello to all! I am an East Coast resident at heart, born and raised. However, until recently I have been trying to get the hell out. I am a married mother of two small boys Tyler Maurice and Tristen Michael. I have two dogs a female red-nosed pit and a yorkie. Point blank I really don't want my children growing up in some of the neighborhoods I or my husband have (brooklyn, bronx, harlem, etc.) It has been said to me that my family will be fine in the "HOOD". However, as soon as we decide to upgrade that's when I'll have to worry. My husband is a Hispanic male and I am a Black women, both in our early/mid twenties. He definitely has a spanish look and everyone always thinks I am hispanic as well (lightskinned with nice hair). I've been looking into moving to SI being it is the only part of NYC I have never lived. I have white friends who feel they love me and are being completely honest with me when they tell me SI is not the place for me (nationality wise). Is this true? I lived in Oneonta for about a yr and 1/2 and I can't begin to describe my expreience of hate crime in that town. That was school and now this is different I have children now. Like any normal parent I want my children to experience more than I have in life and that's not gonna happen hanging around in an overpriced townhouse in the South Bronx. I want a great multi-racial family friendly neighborhood for myself and my children. However, it is hard to find that in or near NYC, atleast for a reasonable price. My current SI searches have been perfect (money wise). I would be a second home owner (currently renting a home). If anyone knows anything plz if at all possible. I am dying to know before I decide to hop on that bridge or the Ferry for a friendly visit. My only other option was Roosevelt Island, however, RI is mostly apartments. Plz someone take the time and be completely honest with me plz post if not afraid to post your opinion or personal experience. Thanks to all in advance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

NOrth Shore BOII in Staten Island, New York

46 months ago

Debra in Staten Island, New York said: I know that many people like the South Shore. Personally, I love the North Shore. I am a medical professional and I live in Westerleigh. I love it here! There is cultural diversity and a sense of community. I enjoy the older restored homes and the tree lined streets. The neighbors are friendly and the streets are clean. We do not have anyone loitering on the corners and there are plenty of churches, community activities and family based events. I moved here from a lovely neighborhood in Brooklyn ten years ago, and have not regretted one day. I have never once smelled the bad smell from the dump in my neighborhood! I love Westerleigh!

i got jumped in westerleigh and mad fights there i live in west brighton westerleigh is a bunch of trashy ass kids they think they are tough i used to live on the brink of stapelton and tompkinsvillle and i loved it out there but over hear everyone think they tough

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NOrth Shore BOII in Staten Island, New York

46 months ago

Mercedes in New York, New York said: Hello to all! I am an East Coast resident at heart, born and raised. However, until recently I have been trying to get the hell out. I am a married mother of two small boys Tyler Maurice and Tristen Michael. I have two dogs a female red-nosed pit and a yorkie. Point blank I really don't want my children growing up in some of the neighborhoods I or my husband have (brooklyn, bronx, harlem, etc.) It has been said to me that my family will be fine in the "HOOD". However, as soon as we decide to upgrade that's when I'll have to worry. My husband is a Hispanic male and I am a Black women, both in our early/mid twenties. He definitely has a spanish look and everyone always thinks I am hispanic as well (lightskinned with nice hair). I've been looking into moving to SI being it is the only part of NYC I have never lived. I have white friends who feel they love me and are being completely honest with me when they tell me SI is not the place for me (nationality wise). Is this true? I lived in Oneonta for about a yr and 1/2 and I can't begin to describe my expreience of hate crime in that town. That was school and now this is different I have children now. Like any normal parent I want my children to experience more than I have in life and that's not gonna happen hanging around i
Staten isladn is not racist if yuh live on tha north shore yur fine theyre are many blacks hispanics white and asian on the north shore but u gotta take the risk of livin in a kind of area were theyre are alot of fights and other problems and most of that is on the north shore

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Debra in Staten Island, New York

46 months ago

I am so sorry you have experienced such awful activity! There are good and bad in all communities, but overall, I believe this community (my neighborhood borderlines with West Brighton) is safe, clean and welcoming.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Boricarabali@yahoo.com in New York, New York

46 months ago

Check out Goethals community 2701 Goethals road north, 10303. It is the best ( economical home prices, security, location, peace, schools, tranquility). I've lived in ALL the boroughs and drive all day in & out of them every day and HAVE NOT encountered such a community. It's awesome!! For about $1000/ month- you live in your own house!! Not an apartment. No one under or over you to complain. You actually have a yard, driveway and the parking spot directly in front of your home is exclusively reserved for you or your guests! There's also a huge parking lot in the back for residents and thier guests. Everyone here has passed a criminal background check too!! We have some elderly residents that have either passed away or been placed in a nursing facility, these homes are a bargain as they are estate sales. I know of someone who bought such a home recently for approx. 50,000!!

Lucy in Staten Island, New York

45 months ago

People are so annoying. Just because kim gave her opinion, that does not give people the right to accuse her of thinking she's better than anyone. Im sure she has lived on the island for quite some time to have heard enough crimes happening on the news in areas close to the ferry. Kim gave a great list.

I would definitely do as she recommended like staying away from anywhere close to the ferry.
Id also avoid neighborhoods like:
Park Hil,
bay street
Port Richmond.
Mariners Harbor,
Jersey Street,
parts of Arlington,
Stapleton
Parts of south beach...like by sand lane
Midland beach is pretty sketchy too.

Good luck! (:

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Dipu in New York, New York

45 months ago

Lucy in Staten Island, New York said: People are so annoying. Just because kim gave her opinion, that does not give people the right to accuse her of thinking she's better than anyone. Im sure she has lived on the island for quite some time to have heard enough crimes happening on the news in areas close to the ferry. Kim gave a great list.

I would definitely do as she recommended like staying away from anywhere close to the ferry.
Id also avoid neighborhoods like:
Park Hil,
bay street
Port Richmond.
Mariners Harbor,
Jersey Street,
parts of Arlington,
Stapleton
Parts of south beach...like by sand lane
Midland beach is pretty sketchy too.

Good luck! (:

Hi can you please tell me whether Brighton avenue and Corson avenues are safe areas? thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.