Best companies to work for in Tacoma?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Host

What companies are fueling growth in Tacoma? Why are they a great employer?

Reply - Report abuse

Mary V Doughty in Ann Arbor, Michigan

70 months ago

I would love to be able to move to the Tacoma/Puyallup area but I have been unable to find a job in 2 1/2 years therefore, no job, no money for relocation costs! What I have found in my home state is wide-spread discrimination against anyone who has a disability. In January 2003, I was "saved" by the doctors at the University of Michigan Hospital. Against my Advance Directives, I was put on life support and kidney dialysis was begun. I was not aware of what was taking place because I had slipped into a coma. When I came out of the 5 day coma, I was still on a respirator and saw that both of my feet and all but one finger and the thumb on my dominant left hand were turning black. I was finally diagnosed with the rare blood disorder called Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. 7 weeks later, the doctors amputated both legs (below the knees) and all but the thumb and middle finger from my dominant hand. I endured kidney dialysis for almost 2 1/2 years until I took myself off of it. It was only when I took myself off of dialysis that the good doctors ran some more tests and discovered that my kidneys had regained between 26% to 30% total function. I worked extremely hard to become totally independant again but I now wonder why. Was it worth it? Michigan employers won't hire me and even the personnel at the very hospital where my Advance Directives was completely ignored told me that "He" could not hire me because of my "shaky" work history since 2003! I guess I took too long to fully recover from TTP. Maybe I should have been walking within 30 days after I lost my legs and not the 3 months it took me to finally learn to balance myself on the prosthetics. I am beginning to wonder who has the real disability in Michigan. I only lost my legs, not my ability to learn new things and to think clearly. I think maintaining a 4.0 GPA at the local community college would be sufficiant but not here in Michigan!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

galaxiebeth@yahoo.com in Tacoma, Washington

40 months ago

My significant other used to work for a small local company in Tacoma that won the best small workplace award in 2011 (how? no one who works there seems to know)yet has a reputation for being an extremely bad employer who dismisses employees for spurrious resons and has a very low number of employees with more than a few years of service. We call them the tarnished metal company which is a clue. So check out if you can any company you are not sure about.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.