What are the best neigborhoods in Tucson?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Host

Where is the good life? For families? Singles?

Reply - Report abuse

Cashi in Omaha, Nebraska

80 months ago

Host said: Where is the good life? For families? Singles?

We lived also on the Northwest side in Oro Valley. Great location, schools are good, location is excellent for getting to the interstate. Depends though how much you can afford and what type of environment you wan to live in. There are many "cement neighborhoods" in Oro Valley. I call them that because they are soooo close together and not a blade of grass.
But if you can afford 1/2 acre then Oro Valley is paradise.
Close to great shopping and easy access to Oracle Road too

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

If-You-Must in Tucson, Arizona

70 months ago

Avoid living in 85705 ... it has the great honor of having the highest drug traffic and burglary rate in the city.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Tucson, Arizona

65 months ago

I'd shoot myself in the face before I'd live in Marana! I suppose it's ok if you buy everything at Walmart, love having the exact same beige house as your next door neighbor, and think chain restaurants are the perfect dining option. Personally, I like a little character to my neighborhood. If you want to be near local businesses, good restaurants, and live in an architecturally interesting home, you have to live downtown. I'm in Armory Park; the only other places I'd consider living in Tucson would be the Barrio, West University, or maybe Dunbar Springs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Upchuck in Stamford, Connecticut

64 months ago

Concerned in Michigan in Wayland, Michigan said: We live in Grand Rapids, Michigan and are considering moving to the Tucson area. We visited and were in shock as to how close the houses were and then we heard that the schools were in big trouble. Any advice on great schools and communities? The job seems awesome..but will we be happy???

You will love the weather. If I had a choiuce I would move to Tucson in a heartbeat. Go visit Patagonia or stay down in RioRico.Not much there,but that is the point. I used to go to Phoenix once a year but don't even like to change planes there anymore!
Tucson is nice. Don't know about the schools but that will work out,as will the housing. RENT for a year while you look and decide. That is teh very best approach! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Janet U in Benson, Arizona

63 months ago

We moved her from Caro, MI in 2002 and love it. We chose the NW area as the Amphitheatre School System is so strong. Its true that all AZ schools are facing major budget issues - I work as a Benefits Administrator in a district on the south side, but Amphi seems to be holding its own. The schools are being forced to find creative ways to do more with less, and one of those will likley be increased class sizes. We looked at homes in Oracle, AZ as they were larger, less money but in '02 that school system wasn't strong enough. Our girls are now at CDO HS and we have been very happy with the other Amphi schools they attended as well as with CDO. The others were Mesa Verde Elem and Cross MS. The farther south you go, the more social issues. While I work at the district in the South side (Sunnyside) they are doing a fabulous job of connecting parents to the kids overall experience.

I have never looked back and do not miss my home state of Michigan at all!

Good luck to you,

Janet in Arizona

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Joe leloup in Chicago, Illinois

55 months ago

I bought my home ten years ago in .I rented it for the last nine years, and making payments last two.My mom just passed, and moving I cant get out of here fast enough. I love Tucson lived in Indiana all my life Its time? Ind Joe,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (18) Reply - Report abuse

issy in El Paso, Texas

54 months ago

Moving back to Tucson....looking for a job...need a rental...700 and under for two of us....and would like to find something in the NW since my son already found a job there...
Issy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Ex LA in Tucson, Arizona

34 months ago

Concerned in Michigan in Wayland, Michigan said: We live in Grand Rapids, Michigan and are considering moving to the Tucson area. We visited and were in shock as to how close the houses were and then we heard that the schools were in big trouble. Any advice on great schools and communities?

Public schools here are bad, but this is a state which keeps electing an anti-education legislature. Everyone who can goes private, but most of those schools are religious. The independent schools here are as good as any in the nation and much cheaper. We put our kids into the International School of Tucson which at $7000 a year is a third of what we paid in LA and a fourth of what my brother pays in Manhattan.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Kathi in Tucson, Arizona

25 months ago

Concerned in Michigan in Wayland, Michigan said: We live in Grand Rapids, Michigan and are considering moving to the Tucson area. We visited and were in shock as to how close the houses were and then we heard that the schools were in big trouble. Any advice on great schools and communities? The job seems awesome..but will we be happy???

Try Vail. They have a great school district, a little larger lot for the most part. The negative is that it is not close (30-45 minutes or so) from the city of Tucson. It is nice. Oro Valley would be another great choice. Nice community and great schools as well. It is on the North side, and is also a bit of a drive, but great mountain views!Good luck in your search. The further south and central you go (south of 22nd Street) the sketchier the neighborhood. Much of 85746 is bad, though there are good areas in that zip code. We live in a house on a hill in that zip, and am quite happy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

azrunr in Chandler, Arizona

12 months ago

I am a runner, bicyclist (very high BIKE score for Tucson!)and hiker. I found an incredible bargain in a GREAT near Eastside location. My place has stained concrete floors and ALL utilities are included. I look out on to the Alamo Wash and Trader Joe's is 1 (longish) block away, Bookmans (great book and music store) is even closer. Bus is at the corner. Incredibly low rent with a pool, great management. Ck out zip 85711. (my specific location is off Speedway on Alamo in that zip)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

sunny19@cox.net in Vail, Arizona

12 months ago

Anonymous in Tucson, Arizona said: [QUOTE who="The farther south you go, the more social issues. /QUOTE]

Translation = the farther south you go, the less white it becomes. Be wary of such comments. There is a lot of coded language here in a largely red-neck state. Comments promoting the foothills (or District 16) usually really mean "majority white".

That is not, necessarily true, however, when we first moved to Tucson, from California, (1978), we purchased a home on the east side, and loved the area; after a year, we had the opportunity to purchase a rental unit off Mission Rd, and had a lot of problems there. It wasn't with out tenants, they were all very nice. The problems were due to the neighbors, who were Hispanic; they gave our tenants (who were Caucasian)a difficult time while they were there, they moved. then we had two young college students male/Caucasian) there, who got the same treatment from those next door neighbors. One day, while the boys were at school, the neighbors broke into their apartment, and stole some of their things, and left damage, which the renters insurance paid for. The students moved, we, eventually, sold the townhouse, for a nice profit, to a young Hispanic couple, who were very nice, and hoped they faired better than the tenants did. The point of my story is, it was not because the bad neighbors were Hispanic, that caused the problems; it was because they were just plain mean people (they exist everywhere, and in all cultures). Its a fact more of those type live in lower income communities, but it would not matter if they were living in the best community in the world, mean spirited people would still create problems, until someone called them on their behavior,(translated: knocked some do right into them) or the police got involved.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

rach in Chandler, Arizona

8 months ago

Anonymous in Tucson, Arizona said: I'd shoot myself in the face before I'd live in Marana! I suppose it's ok if you buy everything at Walmart, love having the exact same beige house as your next door neighbor, and think chain restaurants are the perfect dining option. Personally, I like a little character to my neighborhood. If you want to be near local businesses, good restaurants, and live in an architecturally interesting home, you have to live downtown. I'm in Armory Park; the only other places I'd consider living in Tucson would be the Barrio, West University, or maybe Dunbar Springs.

Hi, my husband and I have the same opinion of living in the suburbs. But we are having out first baby and I'm concerned about noise and safety. I was wondering how old are you and do you have any kids?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lucille in Missouri in Saint James, Missouri

4 months ago

We are wanting to relocate to the Tucson area because my husband has Rheumatoid and there a less dramatic changes with the barometric pressure. We live in out in the country on 5 + acres and access to 80 acres. We visited last summer in June and loved it 105 for the week were there! How safe is Tucson? As I read other posts is crime high in Tucson? We spent all our time Northwest and North, Northeast of Tucson....loved it. I noticed a post rach in Chandler said that Armory Park is a good place to live? Anyone want to chime in on this discussion...thanks.

What would be the first step in the transition? I am a RN and seems as though there is plenty of work in Tucson and the area?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.