Dish Network Age Discrimination?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (15)

Frustrated in Tulsa, Oklahoma

54 months ago

Due to the current economic situation I feel that I need to get a job with a steady paycheck and not one where I only work for commission. I decided that I would apply for a job with Dish Network.

I have been a Dish Network installer, a manager for a team of Dish Network installers, and a corporate trainer that trained over 300 installers in the proper proceedures to meet Dish Networks high standards. I am probably more qualified than most installers working for Dish Network.

At the end of the application process I got this message "At this time, we are pursuing candidates who more closely fit the requirements of this position."

hmmmm. The only thing that I can think of is that early on in the process they asked me for my age, which is 48 years young. Do you think that they are discrimating towards age? So much for their equal opportunity policy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Artestwd

52 months ago

I have experinced the same issue of employment, I'm 48 . I have a very good resume with all the quilification that an employer is looking for and time and time again I keep getting turned down. In fact, after the interview I never get a response back. I think we need to pass some employment laws having employers notified canadates why they were not chosen or some explnation in writting for ineligiablity.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Pissed in Beckley, West Virginia

45 months ago

I have had the same problem 4 diffrent times and im 24

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bitter in OK in Bartlesville, Oklahoma

41 months ago

Frustrated in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Due to the current economic situation I feel that I need to get a job with a steady paycheck and not one where I only work for commission. I decided that I would apply for a job with Dish Network.

I have been a Dish Network installer, a manager for a team of Dish Network installers, and a corporate trainer that trained over 300 installers in the proper proceedures to meet Dish Networks high standards. I am probably more qualified than most installers working for Dish Network.

At the end of the application process I got this message "At this time, we are pursuing candidates who more closely fit the requirements of this position."

hmmmm. The only thing that I can think of is that early on in the process they asked me for my age, which is 48 years young. Do you think that they are discrimating towards age? So much for their equal opportunity policy.

Hey Kids... I'm 50 freakin' 9. I never expect to be hired again. Fired by TDW after 10 years of service for a bogus reason; dismissed with no annuity or insurance. Life sucks for old people and I'm bitter.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Reno2341#yahoo.com in Beaumont, Texas

41 months ago

Frustrated in Tulsa, Oklahoma said: Due to the current economic situation I feel that I need to get a job with a steady paycheck and not one where I only work for commission. I decided that I would apply for a job with Dish Network.

Well I thought I was the only one getting the cold shoulder. I have been Installing for 5 years up until March 2011 and I am 56 years young. They dont even want to talk to me. I went to there local bldg. and talked to the install manager, and he refered me to the web site. I think he reported me to Corp. heads Cause I cant even log on to there employment site anymore.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jo in Dothan, Alabama

41 months ago

Article from AARP
Some online listings at Careerbuilder, Craigslist, Monster and other websites flatly state "must be currently employed," or "the unemployed will not be considered at all."
Some with a bit more flexibility say that applicants can be unemployed for up to three months, a caveat that spells trouble for 55-plus job hunters, who on average are out of work for one year---
"Human resource departments are telling recruiters and staffing agencies not to waste their time sending applications from people out of work six months or longer," he says. "Recruiters are getting chastised for it, no matter how perfect the individual's qualifications for the job." Companies' primary concern, he adds, is that unemployed individuals' skills are out of date and retraining would cost money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

jo in Dothan, Alabama

41 months ago

Article from AARP
Some online listings at Careerbuilder, Craigslist, Monster and other websites flatly state "must be currently employed," or "the unemployed will not be considered at all."
Some with a bit more flexibility say that applicants can be unemployed for up to three months, a caveat that spells trouble for 55-plus job hunters, who on average are out of work for one year---
"Human resource departments are telling recruiters and staffing agencies not to waste their time sending applications from people out of work six months or longer," he says. "Recruiters are getting chastised for it, no matter how perfect the individual's qualifications for the job." Companies' primary concern, he adds, is that unemployed individuals' skills are out of date and retraining would cost money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Atlanta in East Dublin, Georgia

40 months ago

Age Discrimination?
Let me tell you, I'm a 175lb, 5'-11", 50 year old man that can out labor any physically fit 25 year old any day, in any environment. I have references to substantiate this. It took 10 weeks to be officially rejected. Allow me to guide you older applicants through my Dish experience. My initial tele-interview took 2 weeks from my date of resume submission. A 1 on 1 was scheduled for the following week. I was stoked..... Upon arrival 30 minutes prior to my interview time I was given my initial paperwork. Shortly after that,(very shortly) some guy, who I assume was my interviewer, sat down without even an introduction or hand shake and proceeded to tell me that I SHOULD NOT be applying at his location, there was one closer to my house that was hiring an I needed to schedule an interview with them... Both locations are about 20-25 minutes from my house so I dont see the big deal.... This guy should have shown me some professional courtesy and at least interview me first, then recommend that I interview at the other location. Anyway, upon arriving 30 minutes early to my rescheduled interview the following week, I was greeted at the door by my interviewer,he was very pleasant,we shook hands and then he proceeded to tell me that due to his manager calling in sick, he was required to assist a technician in the field that day so we would have to reschedule our interview for the following week. WOW, something smells fishy.. We did finally have our interview the following week which went extremely well in my opinion. After numerous email inquirys I finally receive the stock "After carefully reviewing your qualifications, we have other candidates that more closely meet our needs" I promise all of you old guys/gals out there, I certainly have the qualifications. Unfortunately, I appear to be too old. I later tried to apply to another posting but have been locked out as well, if you're rejected you will not be allowed to re-apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jo in Dothan, Alabama

40 months ago

Wow-Talk about "breaking all the rules"...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

older worker in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

35 months ago

jo in Dothan, Alabama said: Article from AARP

If AARP was an advocate for the aging as they say they are, they would be lobbying Congress for laws that would put a stop to this. Not only is it discrimination, but it is costing the taxpayers more money to continue jobless benefits driving the national debt through the roof ( along with the other payoffs from the last election ).

AARP was all over Capital Hill when the so-called Obamacare bill was passed because they sell suplemental insurance, but when it comes to serving their members by doing something that benefits anybody but AARP they are noticably absent.

I get an envelope from AARP every month asking me to send in $16 per month to be a member. I send it back with a note that says "when you start becoming an advocate for us on age discrimination I'll consider it, until then you can kiss my a__."

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Mike G in Coeur D Alene, Idaho

34 months ago

I as well have had many rejections due to age ,one job i was able to get hired after cutting my hair real short ,dying my hair so no gray would show .After about a month i was told that the company was trying to keep the age group to 40 or younger ,im 55 .i guess once you get in the 50's you are all used up.I could only hope that all big companies one day will have nobody young that will work then they will have to call all us old dudes to work only to find that older workers can and do out work younger ones, good day to all

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary Mader in Denver, Colorado

12 months ago

I have been a Dish Network installer , a manager for a team of Dish Network installers, and a corporate trainer that trained over 300 installers in the proper proceedures to meet Dish Networks high standards. I am probably more qualified than most installers working for Dish Network.

I have this same issue, I got to the 1st recruiter and she liked me then I get an email " At this time, we are pursuing candiates who more closely fit the requirements of this position. I am filing a claim with EEOC! I have had it with the companies in Colorado letting older adults go and keeping on younger ones. Watch out Colorado firms!

Mary Mader in Denver, Colorado

12 months ago

I have this same issue, I got to the 1st recruiter and she liked me then I get an email " At this time, we are pursuing candiates who more closely fit the requirements of this position. I am filing a claim with EEOC! I have had it with the companies in Colorado letting older adults go and keeping on younger ones. Watch out Colorado firms!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Bluetea in Texas

12 months ago

Mary Mader in Denver, Colorado said: I have this same issue, I got to the 1st recruiter and she liked me then I get an email " At this time, we are pursuing candiates who more closely fit the requirements of this position. I am filing a claim with EEOC! I have had it with the companies in Colorado letting older adults go and keeping on younger ones. Watch out Colorado firms!

Good Luck with that. EEOC doesn't really do anything unless you have a media story first.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

kenro27325 in Benson, North Carolina

2 months ago

I just recieved the same e-mail from Dish and I thought the other day that my phone interview went well ..I'm only 45 and can run circles around younger people 1/2 my age,have worked with Terminix so crawling under low crawl spaced houses are no problem as a matter of a fact when our dish installer came out to put our dish in, guess who crawled under my house while the installer stayed inside waiting on me to feed the wires?ME..it's a bunch of crap.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.