Moving to Virginia Beach - how did you get here?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Where did you come from? How did you move here? What would you do different now?

Reply - Report abuse

D.J. in Virginia Beach, Virginia

85 months ago

I came to Virginia Beach for an opportunity to work as a Quality Engineer with Stihl Inc.
After six weeks, I was tag teamed by my manager and one of his flunkies (my co-worker). I was screamed at and ridiculed after doing what I was hired to do. The flunkie had been with Stihl for over 25 years and wanted my job, yet he had a wall of fame which consisted of a lot of certificates, but no formal degree.
The flunkie was supposed to train me, yet when I asked him any questions, he would beush me off and say that he didn't have time...he was too busy.
I was assigned every crap job that came along. I was even assigned a job that had plagued the company with returns for years. I immediately found the problem and was correcting the problem when I was asked to resign or be fired.
The environment at Stihl Inc. is definately Theory X, which feels that people are stupid and lazy. The only way to get people to work is to scream at them. The Gestapo still lives at Stihl Inc. That explains the tremendous turnover which exist at Stihl.
I would not recommend Stihl to ANYONE! I wouldn't even buy any of their products because of they have an entire rework department. Can you imagine the crap that gets out the door?
What would I do differently? I would have stayed at my previous employer as Quality Manager and continued to treat my direct reports like human beings who want to do a good job. I would continue to mentor my direct reports in a way that makes people like to come to work.
Don't misunderstand me: My family and I love the Virginia Beach area, with the exception of the outrageous taxes! I have been looking for employment since March of this year and have not found suitable work yet.
I have a A.A.S. Degree in Industrial Management, B.A. in Industrial Management and M.S.A in Administration, concentrating in Human Resources Management. I have 32 years experience in Manufacturing, with the last 12 years as Quality Manager.
Anyone got any suggestions?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Cammie Goa in Charlotte, North Carolina

75 months ago

D.J. in Virginia Beach, Virginia said: I came to Virginia Beach for an opportunity to work as a Quality Engineer with Stihl Inc.
After six weeks, I was tag teamed by my manager and one of his flunkies (my co-worker). I was screamed at and ridiculed after doing what I was hired to do. The flunkie had been with Stihl for over 25 years and wanted my job, yet he had a wall of fame which consisted of a lot of certificates, but no formal degree.
The flunkie was supposed to train me, yet when I asked him any questions, he would beush me off and say that he didn't have time...he was too busy.
I was assigned every crap job that came along. I was even assigned a job that had plagued the company with returns for years. I immediately found the problem and was correcting the problem when I was asked to resign or be fired.
The environment at Stihl Inc. is definately Theory X, which feels that people are stupid and lazy. The only way to get people to work is to scream at them. The Gestapo still lives at Stihl Inc. That explains the tremendous turnover which exist at Stihl.
I would not recommend Stihl to ANYONE! I wouldn't even buy any of their products because of they have an entire rework department. Can you imagine the crap that gets out the door?
What would I do differently? I would have stayed at my previous employer as Quality Manager and continued to treat my direct reports like human beings who want to do a good job. I would continue to mentor my direct reports in a way that makes people like to come to work.
Don't misunderstand me: My family and I love the Virginia Beach area, with the exception of the outrageous taxes! I have been looking for employment since March of this year and have not found suitable work yet.
I have a A.A.S. Degree in Industrial Management, B.A. in Industrial Management and M.S.A in Administration, concentrating in Human Resources Management. I have 32 years experience in Manufacturing, with the last 12 years as Quality Manage

Cammie Goa in Charlotte, North Carolina

75 months ago

Lets try this again. Just wondering where you are today? Do you still feel the same way about STIHL?

Soylent Green in Pruszków, Poland

70 months ago

Not sure Stihl chainsaws are crap!! i use them every day!! but the clothing they make is piss poor!! cheaply put together by a VC!!

Christopher in Chesapeake, Virginia

29 months ago

I moved here because my sister in law was here and I wanted to get out of Southwestern Virginia. I don't know what I could have done differently on the job. Had I done it all over again, I would not have moved into a $1,280 a month house which was entirely too much to pay in rent considering my income at the time! There were times I had $20 for the entire week to my name! Housing is too much in this area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.