What are the best neigborhoods in Worcester?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

Where is the good life? For families? Singles?

Reply - Report abuse

Jim Savage in Worcester, Massachusetts

70 months ago

The Nob Hill Neighborhood of downtown Worcester is an excellent affordable place to live. Close to Main Street and also Elm Park, there is plenty of shopping and entertainment in the walking area. This neighborhood runs from generally Chestnut STreet to West Street and Cedar Street to Pleasant Street. It was Worcester's most exclusive neighborhood from around 1840- to the 1930s. Because of the large old mansions, they were subdivided into apartment houses as time went on. For the past 10 years, this area has seen dramatic renovation and increases in value. Although somewhat on hold at this time, the $600 million CITYSQUARE project that was supposed to be built this year has been delayed because of the economic situation. So Worcester Downtown is coming back to life and is affordable and close to public transportation. The Train Station is about a 10 minute walk or less. Give it a try!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Savage visiting in Bogotá, Colombia

65 months ago

Obviously out on Salisbury Street if you can afford it but the truth is that the best neighborhood is where you make the best out of it. Some of the people in the poorest neighborhoods have great lives since they keep their neighborhood under control and have a lot of friends. I live 3 blocks from downtown city hall and I like it since I am in the middle of anything I want to do. I also have a lot of friends and know a lot of my neighbors. Plus I go to church on the same block. Now if you lived in one of those 4 acre lots in a secluded place in Worcester you would not have all of that but it could cost everything you have without much money if any to eat. So find what activities you like and where they are and where there is a secure place to live. Even in higher crime areas, your home and cars can be secure. So Worcester may not be as new as some of the suburban towns, but it sure has a history that is hard to beat. Jim Savage Nob Hill NeighborhoodAssociation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Doris Ruther of Vancouver in Coquitlam, British Columbia

55 months ago

Jim Savage visiting in Bogotá, Colombia said: Obviously out on Salisbury Street if you can afford it but the truth is that the best neighborhood is where you make the best out of it. Some of the people in the poorest neighborhoods have great lives since they keep their neighborhood under control and have a lot of friends. I live 3 blocks from downtown city hall and I like it since I am in the middle of anything I want to do. I also have a lot of friends and know a lot of my neighbors. Plus I go to church on the same block. Now if you lived in one of those 4 acre lots in a secluded place in Worcester you would not have all of that but it could cost everything you have without much money if any to eat. So find what activities you like and where they are and where there is a secure place to live. Even in higher crime areas, your home and cars can be secure. So Worcester may not be as new as some of the suburban towns, but it sure has a history that is hard to beat. Jim Savage Nob Hill NeighborhoodAssociation

Need an OK B&B near Gardner. Can you help?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Doris Ruther of Vancouver in Coquitlam, British Columbia

55 months ago

yasmina Gonzalez in Worcester, Massachusetts said: I am hispanic and live in Worcester,

Thanks you

I need to come to Gardner, Massachusetts in the spring of 2010 to visit and look for work. I am American citizen living in Vancouver, Canada Is there an affordable Bed and Breakfast place there?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jim Savage in Worcester, Massachusetts

55 months ago

Doris Ruther of Vancouver in Coquitlam, British Columbia said: I need to come to Gardner, Massachusetts in the spring of 2010 to visit and look for work. I am American citizen living in Vancouver, Canada Is there an affordable Bed and Breakfast place there?

There are very few B&Bs in the USA especially Worcester however, there are several rooming houses but as a whole I would avoid those. Much better usually is a "shared apartment" where you pay your rent directly to the landlord and have a separate bedroom and share the kitchen and bath, etc. Many students opt for this arrangement and so do others who just want one bill a month for everything (usually you get to pay your own cable and telephone). Up and downsides are that often you do not control who are your roommates but there are many good people doing this. Just don't room with druggies or alcoholics. NOTE: Women like the Abby House run by the Catholics.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

dianbee in Los Angeles, California

52 months ago

Doris Ruther of Vancouver in Coquitlam, British Columbia said: I need to come to Gardner, Massachusetts in the spring of 2010 to visit and look for work. I am American citizen living in Vancouver, Canada Is there an affordable Bed and Breakfast place there?

Are you the Doris Ruther who went to NBS? If so, classmates are looking to contact you. If not, sorry to bother you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.