Under the general direction of the President and Vice President of Student Services, this position performs executive level secretarial duties; relieving the President and Vice President of administrative detail by receiving and handling inquiries, performing clerical tasks and addressing other requests related to departmental activities. This position requires exposure to highly sensitive information and involvement with internal and external contacts requiring considerable use of discretion, tact, diplomacy and judgment. The Executive Secretary coordinates office activities, works on assigned projects (reports, correspondence) and coordinates the President’s and Vice President’s daily activities with a high degree of independence.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Perform various administrative support duties that are highly sensitive for the President and Vice President of Student Services.
• Work closely with the Executive Administrative Assistant to the President in coordinating the President’s schedule, providing administrative support, and ensuring all activities of the office are maintained and organized.
• Compose memoranda and letters in response to questions and requests.
• Take and transcribe dictation on confidential and technical matters.
• Receive and screen visitors and incoming calls, determining the priority matters and providing alert messages to the President and Executive Leadership team accordingly.
• Assist in resolving student, personnel and community concerns directly or through appropriate referral. Ensure President is fully prepared to meet or respond to requests.
• Read and screen incoming reports and correspondence, making preliminary assessment and organizing/ prioritizing documents.
• Research, compile, assimilate and prepare sensitive and confidential documents.
• Review, proofread, and edit documents developed for the signature of the President.
• Coordinate activities and events related to the President’s Office working collaboratively with the Assistant to the President, the Executive Assistant to the Board of Trustees, the Executive Associate to the President and Executive Liaisons when necessary.
• Coordinate and facilitate the President’s and Vice President’s calendar to arrange meetings, appointments and conferences.
• Make travel arrangements and prepare itineraries; prepare, compile and maintain travel records and vouchers.
• Plan and coordinate arrangements for professional meetings and conferences.
• Recommend actions to be taken on office expenditures such as supply and equipment needs.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the President and Vice President of Student Services.
• High school diploma or GED equivalent, and 60 credit hours in related coursework and seven (7) years relevant work experience OR the equivalent combination of education and work experience. Associate degree in an Executive Secretarial program preferred.
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Exceptional language proficiency skills.
• Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, dictation, letter composition and editing. New testing will be required for all applicants where appropriate.
• Experience with dictation and transcription preferred.
• Ability to maintain utmost confidentiality required.
• Effective interpersonal skills in dealing with various College and community constituents.
• Possess an understanding of and the commitment to work in a participatory environment.
• Professional attire.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Must be a current WCC OPT union member to apply.
Washtenaw Community College - 30+ days ago