The Access Services Technical Assistant provides administrative, public and technical support to maintain and provide access to Washtenaw Community College and other library and information access for students, faculty and staff through the maintenance and interpretation of specialized library knowledge. This position also has primary duties at the User Services Desk. This is a 20 per hour Union OPT position.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
• Act as initial contact for library users. Utilize broad knowledge of Library resources to determine user need and direct users to appropriate information resources including reference help, online catalogs, research databases, electronic book and microfilm collections and other resources as applicable.
• Communicate library specific information and directions to students, faculty, staff, community members and library staff at other institutions.
• Search WCC Library Catalog database for WCC material (physical and digital) based on user needs. Search nearby public and university online library catalogs as appropriate for additional resources. Interpret complex metadata in bibliographic and item records.
• Responsible for opening and closing of library; maintaining safety and security of materials and library users.
• Navigate and manipulate circulation module in Library systems software, including but not limited to, creating and modifying user records; execute and interpret library circulation transactions for various collections; maintain and process user fines and fees; maintain hold system.
• Utilize college integrated software to obtain verification information and perform transactions for students, staff and faculty.
• Provide technical support for remote and in library users of various library resources. Provide support and assistance to library users operating library equipment including computers, printers, microfilm/fiche, audio equipment and VCR / DVD players.
• Maintain physical library collections including filing, assessment of damage, inventory, shelf reading and withdrawing of materials.
Part-time Access Services Technical Assistant
• Assist with the training, delegate and oversee work of Student Workers assigned to area.
• Interact with vendors, suppliers, repair agencies and other WCC departments to maintain usability and accessibility of materials, services equipment and facilities.
• Operate and troubleshoot office equipment.
• In the absence of Reference Librarians, provide basic paraprofessional help in finding and obtaining materials in various online and print resources.
• Perform other related duties as directed by supervisor.
• High School diploma or GED equivalent and 0-2 years relevant work experience.
• Ability in spelling, basic math and accurate record-keeping, accurate filing, telephone etiquette, and data entry skills.
• Knowledge of and ability to learn software applications for database management, spreadsheets and word processing. Ability to learn multiple software programs, including the Library’s unique system and other electronic library tools.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to work with detail.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills to deal effectively with college student and staff and the public.
• Ability to adjust workload to manage simultaneous multiple tasks.
• Ability to learn cash transactions.
• Ability to handle confidential records appropriately.
• Must be dependable and available to report for work per operating hours.
• Ability to work independently, unsupervised, and as part of a team.
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Must be a current OPT union member to apply.
Washtenaw Community College - 23 months ago