Intalco Works in Ferndale, Washington is a primary aluminum smelter facility which began operations in 1966. Today, Alcoa is the sole owner of the plant, which employs around 530 people. Intalco Works uses clean, renewable hydro power, which has made it one of Alcoa's most energy efficiency plants in the U.S.
The Technical Manager will report to the Production Manager and is responsible for the technical direction of smelter operations, including the Carbon Plant, Reline, Potroom, and Casthouse departments. In addition, the incumbent manages the Process Computer group.
This position is accountable for providing technical direction for key operating areas in the smelter. The incumbent will provide process control expertise for operational raw materials and equipment in the manufacture of aluminum.
The incumbent will also provide guidance, coaching, and technical assistance to process engineers, supervisors and operators in Carbon Plant, Reline, Potroom, and Casthouse departments.
Key challenges will include driving continuous improvement to key processes of producing anodes, smelting and casting aluminum, and relining smelting cells.
The position focus is to achieve overall plant objectives and Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s), technology and best practice transfers from benchmark facilities, implementation of HPI principles into the smelting operations, and integrating process control with safety performance to achieve an injury-free workplace.
Some key objectives include:
In addition, the local IT resources will have a dotted line into this position and the Process Technology group will report directly to this position.
- Identify, test and evaluate process changes which can improve product quality, increase production capacity and/or reduce the cost of production
- Coordinate and evaluate R&D projects in coordination with ATC (Alcoa Technical Center), LTT (Like Technology Team) or COE (Center of Excellence) resources
- Hire, place and develop Process Engineers in key operating areas
- Organize, plan and control efforts of personnel in the Technology Group to achieve the most effective balance between projects and resources
- Develop, conduct and coordinate technical training for operating and technical personnel in major operating areas
- Provide Process Computing services to key operating areas while optimizing performance
This position may be filled as a JG 19 or 20 depending upon experience and qualifications
ALCOA - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard -
While many of its aluminum products may be lightweight, Alcoa is anything but. The company is among the world's top producers of...