This position exists primarily for the purpose of developing internal store manager bench from the assistant store manager population, although external candidates will also be in the program. It is a position to be used to give store manager candidates more experience prior to becoming a store manager, and is to be held for a specified period.
DUTIES and ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
* Assist in recruiting and staffing activities.
* Assist with store merchandising by facilitating and/or participating in staging, stocking and storage of merchandise; ensuring that merchandise is presented according to established practices and store manager direction; and properly utilizing merchandise fixtures, signing and pricing of merchandise.
* Assist in all aspects of inventory management (including proper execution of damages, markdowns, register scanning, paperwork and facility controls); prepare and conduct inventories.
* Follow prescribed ordering practices to ensure the meeting or exceeding of in-stock targets.
* Provide superior customer service leadership.
* Act as a role model by following company procedures and policies as outlined in the employee handbook, SOP manual and company communications.
* Participate in store opening and closing activities.
* Ensure the safe deposit of all company funds in the designated bank.
* Assist in ensuring the financial integrity of the store through strict cashier accountability, key control and adherence to company security practices and cash control procedures.
* Assist in the maintenance of clean, well-stocked stores; provide a safe environment for customers and employees.
* Manage store in store manager’s absence.
* Review operating statements to identify business trends (including sales, labor, profitability, and inventory turn), expense control opportunities, potential shrink, and errors.
* Complete all paperwork and documentation according to guidelines and deadlines.
KNOWLEDGE and SKILLS:
* Ability to read and interpret documents such as diagrams, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures manuals.
* Ability to perform mathematical calculations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and percentages.
* Knowledge of cash handling procedures including cashier accountability and deposit controls.
* Ability to learn and perform IBM cash register functions, including those necessary to generate reports.
* Knowledge of inventory management and merchandising practices.
* Knowledge of cash, facility and safety control policies and practices (deposits, store keys, SAFE and STARS programs, etc.)
* Knowledge of recruiting, interviewing, hiring, counseling, and termination practices including legal compliance and internal processes.
* Effective oral and written communication skills.
* Effective interpersonal skills.
* Effective organization skills with attention to detail.
* Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of situations where limited standardization exists.
WORK EXPERIENCE and/or EDUCATION:
* High school diploma or equivalent strongly preferred.
* One year of experience in a retail environment preferred for external candidates; four months experience as a Dollar General assistant store manager required for internal candidates.
* Aligns motives, values and beliefs with Dollar General values.
* Supports ownership by tapping into the potential of others.
* Acts as a liaison between the Store Support Center and store employees.
* Fosters cooperation and collaboration.
* Interacts tactfully yet directly with employees and maintains an open forum of exchange.
* Demonstrates responsiveness and sensitivity to customer needs.
* Applies basic principles of retail (i.e., ordering cycles, peak inventories, merchandise flow, etc.)
* Provides continuous attention to development of staff.
* Recruits, hires and trains qualified applicants to fulfill a store need.
* Ensures store compliance to federal labor laws and company policies and procedures.
WORKING CONDITIONS and PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
* Frequent walking and standing.
* Frequent bending, stooping and kneeling to run check out station, stock merchandise and unload trucks.
* Frequent handling of merchandise and equipment such as hand-held scanners pricing guns, box cutters, merchandise containers and carts, two-wheel dollies, and U-boats (six-wheel carts).
* Frequent and proper lifting of up to 40 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 55 pounds.
* Occasional climbing (using ladder).
* Occasional driving/providing own transportation to make bank deposits, attend management meetings and to other Dollar General stores.
* Fast-paced environment; moderate noise level.
* Occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
Note: This position requires some travel with limited overnight stays
Zip Code 16201-3548
Category Store Careers
Job Category Store Manager
Dollar General Corporation has been delivering value to shoppers for over 75 years. Dollar General helps shoppers Save time. Save money....