Meijer is a leading Supercenter located in five states throughout the Midwest, with nearly 200 stores and almost 60,000 employees. As a multi-billion dollar retailer, Meijer is ranked as the 15th largest privately held company in the country. We have become a respected leader in the competitive retail market by sticking to our core values of customers, competition, family, freshness, and safety & health. Meijer's Midwest geography includes corporate offices in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and stores, distribution centers, and manufacturing facilities throughout Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Ohio, and Kentucky. |
Meijer is seeking candidates for Information Technology internship opportunities in our Applications Development area! Join our program to get experience in your field while also learning more about the retail industry and the breadth of career opportunities that support the shopper experience. Your internship will include interaction with other interns, experts in your area of study, and Meijer senior leadership. Multiple assignments are available in our IT teams supporting internal clients in Retail Store Support, Marketing/Customer Loyalty, Merchandising, and Finance. Most positions will expose students to the full software development lifecycle, including analysis and development, with the following projects currently on the 2013 intern project plan:
- Mobile Applications: The intern will develop program code and test applications that will enable improved effectiveness and efficiency of sales floor/back room functions using mobile technology. All aspects of the software development lifecycle.
- POS Applications: The intern will support development and rollout of new functionality and quality for our Point of Sale (POS) systems.
- System Rollout Design: The intern will be responsible for building a core application to manage software and hardware rollouts to stores, assessing conflicts and interfacing to existing Meijer communication and tasking applications. A new solution will reduce redundant data entry and improve project rollout efficiencies. The intern will be involved in developing program code, providing unit testing and Integration testing.
- Mobile Applications: The intern will participate in development and enhancement of programs used by our customers through our mPerks program, including analysis and development of various mobile features.
- Shopper Marketing Campaigns: The intern will become a subject matter expert on the current application and evaluate inefficiencies, creating workflow templates to automate the management of stealth marketing campaigns from request to POS coupon creation and redemption and assist in integrating the existing application with our data warehouse and Offer Execution engine.
- Customer Information application: This system, used by our Customer Call Center, leverages information that has been updated for Meijer.com and our mPerks program. Working with a Project Lead, the intern will participate in requirements gathering meetings and document detailed requirements in Team Foundation Server (TFS), then support the design on new functions, document test cases, and develop one or more modules of the updated application and participate in code reviews.
- Applications testing: This intern will work very closely with the development team on a per release basis, test the system in unit testing, bug testing, beta testing, and integration testing, validating that business requirements are met. This work is an important part of the software development process, but requires less experience with specific software development than developer roles, making it a potential assignment for an underclassman with less development experience.
- VendorNet Portal Enhancements: This intern will support our VendorNet portal, the technology suite that enables Meijer vendors to do business with our teams, including product entry, data synchronization, vendor agreements, and other functionality. The intern will develop code in .Net using DB2 or SQL Server and also create some reporting using SSRS. The intern will also work on DataFlux tool, which is used to maintain standardized data for Product and other Merchandising core systems.
- Finance Business Intelligence Initiative: The intern will be responsible for developing Microstrategy reporting for desktop and mobile devices, including iPhone and iPad, based on functional and technical requirements and specifications. Reporting experience with relational databases is required, and experience with Microstrategy mobile for iOS is a plus.
The Meijer Internship Program is an experiential education program designed for students currently enrolled in a degree program, who are considering future careers in this exciting field. If you are not currently enrolled in a degree program, please search our site for other positions of interest. Specific requirements include:
Assignment-specific qualifications include a combination of some of the following:
- Progress toward a bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems, Business Information Systems, or Computer Information Systems (Fall 2013 or Spring 2014 graduate preferred).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, Access, and Powerpoint.
- Demonstrated understanding and experience of relational database concepts.
- Drive for results -- has focus on the bottom line
- Customer focus -- dedicated to meeting the expectations of internal and external customers
- Relationship Skills -- can create positive working relationships with customers, team members, leadership, and other internal and external constituencies.
- Communication skills -- conveys the right information in writing and verbally
Job Information Technology
- An understanding of application development cycles, including needs analysis, coding and testing
- Exposure to MicroSoft Team Foundation Server (TFS) tool
- .Net framework knowledge and experience obtained through college-level coursework
- Experience in C#
- Experience in C++
- Experience in VB.net
- Experience in ASP.Net
- Experience in Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)
- Experience in Objective C
- Development experience with Android, iOS, and/or Xcode
- SQL and SQL Server Reporting Service (SSRS)
- UML Modeling
- User Interface Design skills
- Microsoft Visio
Primary Location MI-Grand Rapids
Other Locations MI-Grand Rapids
Meijer is a leading Supercenter located in five states throughout the Midwest, with over 200 stores and more than 60,000 employees. Our...