The City of Davenport Parks and Recreation is looking for an enthusiastic, self-directed individual, who has good people skills and enjoys gardening, teaching, and community outreach, to fill our Environmental Education Seasonal position.
This unique and fun position embraces creative thinking, exploration in various teaching styles, and excitement for gardening.
Environmental Educator will work primarily with the Mobile Garden which is a garden that travels from park to park visiting a wide range of age groups and community members. The Mobile Garden program offers discussions, mini-lessons, and activities about gardening, plants, sustainability, and the environment. Environmental educator will work directly with Davenport Parks and Recreation Interpretive Horticulturalist to plan, coordinate, and implement the program.
Environmental Educator will also be involved in other Environmental youth programs and community events which may or may not include the Mobile Garden.
Examples Of Duties:
· Responsible for transportation of the Mobile Garden to and from sites using a city vehicle.
· Parking trailer/garden in appropriate spot after each use and returning all supplies to their designated places. (Including personal protection equipment, gardening tools, watering cans, and lesson supplies)
· Assist Interpretive Horticulturalist with preparing and conducting various gardening, environmental, youth programs throughout the City of Davenport.
· Prepare for each lesson and gather materials needed before each site
· Teach and interact with children ages 5 and up; interact with parents and adults
· Maintain garden beds (pulling weeds, ensuring adequate water is provided, insect/disease management, and proper drainage) and report observations to Interpretive Horticulturalist.
· Inspection of trailer, garden, and vehicle before and after every use, report any concerns or changes.
· Assist with public events (planning activities, marketing materials, set-up, public interactions, and tear-down)
· As a representative of the City of Davenport and as an educator for youth and the community, staff must have a positive, outgoing attitude and present themselves with high standards.
Qualified applicant must be comfortable with teaching and conducting activities with children 3 and up and must be both self-directed and willing to work with others.