No, this isn’t one of those ordinary jobs.
Cummins is a team of dependable, innovative thinkers, who are empowered to generate and deliver solutions for customers, community and environment. Our employees develop their careers through the challenges only a diverse, global innovator can promise. This is a collaborative culture where thinking beyond your desk is more than part of the job. It is the job.
This is what we call Working Right.
Shift Team Manager – Fuel Systems Plant
- Supervises the daily activities of a production unit or teams
- Responsible for the daily activities of a production team including managing team members, housekeeping, and meeting production targets.
- Work cross functionally to improve safety, productivity, quality, and efficiency of operations.
- Serves as group lead on projects and work assignments.
- Provides guidance and feedback for team members in accomplishing tasks and goals; sets expectations and clarifies responsibilities.
- Coaches and mentors team members.
- Makes recommendations to improve productivity, quality, and efficiency of operations.
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 3-5 years’ experience in similar role.
- Intermediate level of supervisory experience required in a production environment.
- Experience working with in a unionized environment, is a plus
- Six Sigma Certification is a plus.
- Familiarity with other quality tools such as SPC, value stream maps and control charts
- Minitab experience is a plus.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Team Based Work systems - Production Structure utilizing consensus decision making process to balance customer, individual and business needs. Understands the team work system within the operation. Able to lead, guide and challenge the team. Leverages knowledge of the team work system to draw upon the skills/assets of those around them and in other departments to better execute their task
- Fosters Open Communication - Creates an atmosphere in which timely and high quality information flows smoothly between self and others; encourages the open expression of ideas and opinions. Solid understanding of how to foster open communication within department and work teams. Expresses views and thoughts when appropriate.
- Demonstrates the ability to listen to views and identify and acknowledge others feelings using active listening skills. Interacts with people openly and directly. Makes sure people have no surprises. Shares timely updates and information with relevant parties.
- Manage Execution - Assigns responsibilities; delegates to and empowers others; removes obstacles; allows for and contributes needed resources; coordinates work efforts when necessary; monitors progress.
- Solid understanding of how to manage execution. Manages the performance of self and others through the use of structured tools. Delegates effectively and regularly with solid support and follow through. Uses defined processes to manage execution.
- Motivate Others - Encourages and empowers others to achieve; establishes challenging performance standards; creates enthusiasm, a feeling of investment, and a desire to excel. Solid understanding of how to motivate others. Sets goals that challenge a team to higher performance levels yet pushes when necessary to get things accomplished. Encourages and inspires others to do their best. Shows a sense of energy, ownership and personal commitment to work. Creates a positive work environment with a focus on bottom line results.
- Emergency Management And Response - An emergency is any unplanned event that can cause deaths or significant injuries to employees, customers or the public. An emergency can also be an event that can shut down business, disrupt operations, threaten the facility's financial standing or public image, or cause physical or environmental damage. Emergency management is the process of preparing for, mitigating, responding to, and recovering from an emergency. Minimum elements for consideration in an emergency management system are: direction and control, communications (internal and external), life safety, property protection, community outreach, recovery and restoration, administration and logistics, emergency response team, and strategic emergency management committee. Understanding of emergency response includes knowledge of incident command systems, development of a written response plan, protective equipment, emergency action plans, escape procedures, reporting procedures, and hazard assessment. Understands and applies techniques related to incident command systems, protective equipment, escape procedures, reporting procedures, and hazard assessment
- Incident Investigation - The method of reporting the occurrence of an occupational injury/illness, near hit, or property damage. Incident investigations determine how and why these failures occur. Employees should be able to perform a thorough, effective incident investigation including root cause analysis, 5-why analysis and development of effective corrective actions. Knows and understands the components of an incident investigation and can participate in team investigation.
- Labor And Employee Relations - Labor and Employee Relations is a broad field encompassing all interchanges between employers and employees. Possesses a working knowledge of serving as an employee advocate. Understands the impact of employee relations on unionization, employee absenteeism and turnover, the potential for litigation, and credibility between management and employees. Implements programs and tools that influence the organizational culture and ensure fairness and consistent treatment of employees, consistent feedback mechanisms and communication programs such as surveys, skip level interviews, employee participation committees, and communication meetings. Has taken part in problem solving procedures, counseling for issues, and management and supervisor training.
Compensation: Base salary commensurate with experience.
Benefits: Additional benefits vary between locations and include options such as our 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan, Cash Balance Pension Plan, Medical/Dental/Life Insurance, Health Savings Account, Domestic Partners Coverage and a full complement of personal and professional benefits.
Cummins and E-verify:
At Cummins, we are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer dedicated to diversity in the workplace. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, gender, color, disability, national origin, age, religion, union affiliation, sexual orientation, veteran status, citizenship, gender identity and/or expression, or other status protected by law.
Cummins uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit
United States-Indiana-Columbus-US, IN, Columbus, Fuel Systems Business
Experienced - Professional / Office
Apr 15, 2014, 11:18:47 AM