The American Institutes for Research (AIR) is a leading professional services firm which prides itself in conducting high-impact, high-stakes projects for significant Federal, state, and private organizations. The Information Technology Department is a dynamic workplace within AIR with a clear agenda to develop a service oriented organization in line with large scale changes both within IT and the business. It is composed of a strong team of co-workers and challenging varied roles that aim to stretch and expand the value IT delivers within American Institutes for Research (AIR). This position will be located in our Washington, D.C. (Georgetown) office.
American Institutes for Research is searching for a System Engineer with a strong working knowledge and demonstrated competency of supporting a wide range of enterprise applications including Windows 2008, Active Directory, Exchange 2010, as well as experience with VMware and enterprise storage systems.
The Systems Engineer will have responsibility and accountability for the day to day operations of the infrastructure services as well as researching, designing and implementing innovative solutions based on business strategic goals. The Systems Engineer reports to the Sr. Manager of Infrastructure services and will be responsible for:
- Support storage solutions for all AIR offices and remote offices, technology centers and facilities.
- Support efforts with data storage systems including the design/implementation of storage services strategically throughout the enterprise.
- Execute on server hardware and software life-cycle management policies and procedures.
- Research and formulates technical, installation, corrective, preventative maintenance standards.
- Leads projects to further AIR initiatives or assist on projects as a team member, ensuring research, testing, documentation, and implementation effectively bring solutions to enhance our effectiveness.
- Develops technical documentation, operational documentation and training materials as requested.
- Monitors servers and applications to ensure high availability, usability, and security.
- Provides server and network administration and other related support, including maintenance and operation of a diverse array of Windows (2003/2008) servers and systems. Installs and maintains software on the LAN.
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge on a wide range of applications and systems to include Active Directory, IIS, SQL, Exchange, and SharePoint in clustered and non-clustered configurations.
- Performs initial troubleshooting and diagnostics on IP-based local area network in concert with network operations group.
- Monitors Server Operations FootPrints Queue to address all server and application issues in a timely manner, recording solutions, and escalating tickets as required.
- Participates in the on-call rotation, ensuring uptime of critical servers, networks, and applications.
- Assists in the maintenance and enhancement of monitoring systems to track performance, events, physical environment, security, and age of all systems to increase overall effectiveness.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering or related field or equivalent experience.
- Recent Profession Certification (Microsoft, Cisco, NetApp)
- 5+ years of experience with enterprise level design and support
- Deep technical expertise on Windows Server 2008, Active Directory and DNS.
- Advanced knowledge in building Windows and/or Linux servers in conjunction with storage services.
- Has a working knowledge of system management tools (Backup, Performance, Capacity Planning, Storage Management (NetApp/EMC)) and application tools (IIS, SQL Server, Oracle).
- Moderate experience with infrastructure and server theories, principles and concepts; application infrastructure and standards; networking fundamentals; Windows; SAN storage systems; clustering; physical server architecture; Virtualization Technologies and LAN/WAN/Firewall/VPN network technologies.
- Familiarity with DR and high-availability architectures.
- Strong detail orientation, follow-through capabilities and escalation of key issues with practiced analytical and problem solving skills.
- Experience writing policies and procedures is required.
Nice to have:
- Linux / UNIX experience.
- Scripting and/or Application Programming skills.
- Experiences working or providing external webhosting services.
- Understanding of relevant service management frameworks, such as ITIL and COBIT.
Email applications will not be considered.
AIR offers an excellent compensation and benefits package, including a fully funded retirement plan, generous paid time off, subsidized garage parking, and tuition assistance. For more information, please visit our website at www.air.org. To apply, please go to https://jobs-airdc.icims.com/jobs/intro and conduct a job title search. EOE.
The American Institutes for Research (AIR) lives and breathes to enhance human performance. The not-for-profit organization conducts...