Assists the Special Education Teacher and Behavior Therapist in (ABA) instruction for children with developmental disabilities in the classroom. This position is dedicated to facilitating communication, increasing social skills, academic skills, self-help skills and promoting independence. This position will work closely with the teacher and behavior therapist in helping the student decrease maladaptive behaviors that prevent the student from developing his/her full potential while systematically increasing socially appropriate behaviors.
- Provide intense monitoring of student behavior as indicated on the student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP) and Behavior Intervention Plan (BIP)
- Provides discrete trial instruction to identified students on a one-to-one basis
- Maintains appropriate documentation on outcomes of discrete trials and extensive behavior analysis data and graphing
- Demonstrates initiative and creativity with students and their individual programs
- Supervise student at all times as indicated on the IEP to ensure the safety of the
student, peers and adults
- Escorts students to and from services throughout the school, as needed
- Provide support in crisis situations using Professional Crisis Management (PCM) when a student becomes a harm to themselves or others
- Provide verbal support, prompting, redirection and modeling in helping the student access the activities of the school’s curriculum, whether they be group or individual in nature
- Model and encourage appropriate use of communication modes used by the student
- Assist with the implementation of the teacher's daily lesson plans
- Assists with conducting student assessments as directed by classroom teacher or Behavior Therapist
- Work cooperatively with other paraprofessional, certified and licensed staff to facilitate positive interactions for the student with all staff and the ability to take instructions from a variety of school staff who are responsible for the student's education
- Assists with setup of classroom and prepares materials for specialized instructional units as needed
- Individual aides are expected to work in collaboration with the teacher and other
paraprofessionals in providing assistance to all students in the classroom. Individual aides are also expected to work on days when the students they are assigned to are absent
- Attend meetings of the Interdisciplinary Team and faculty meetings, unless transportation duties have been assigned
- Other duties as assigned
- Illinois State Board of Education Paraprofessional Approval required
- Bachelors Degree in Psychology or related field preferred
- One year of experience working with students with disabilities in a school setting is required
- ABA experience preferred
- Ability to lift 30 pounds required
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing
Supervision by a BCBA is available for individuals pursuing BCaBA or BCBA certification who are in need of Supervised Independent Fieldwork hours.
About Esperanza Community Services:
Esperanza Community Services is an organization dedicated to helping children and adults with developmental disabilities become as independent as possible. The mission of Esperanza Community Services is accomplished through effective programs delivered both on our campus in the West Town neighborhood of Chicago and throughout the community. We offer a quality school for students age 5-22 with developmental disabilities and behavior concerns; a day program that helps developmentally disabled adults build self-care and vocational skills; in-home case management; 24-hour supported living residences; ABA behavior support; bilingual services (English and Spanish); plus art, music and many opportunities for remaining an integrated part of the community. Together, our programs and services provide a comprehensive array of support designed to help each student and individual reach his or her full potential.
Esperanza Community Services is an equal opportunity employer. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities.