Ithaca College is seeking applications for multiple full-time Academic Advisors to advise students on academic issues including degree requirements and the Integrated Core Curriculum ( ICC ); interpret and explain related college-wide policies and procedures; work with first year students and those who are undeclared, transfers and/or probationary; and work collaboratively with other student academic services offices to support student engagement and retention.
1. Responsible for delivering Academic Advising programs and services. Participate in the development of in-house and online programming and resources, advise students academic issues including degree requirements and the Integrated Core Curriculum ( ICC ).
2. Advise and counsel students on academic and curricular issues, as well as related career and personal issues; identify the educational options appropriate for each student and assist with the analysis of each option, including possible outcomes and their implications; if needed, refer student to counseling services and other campus resources; set up action plans for students to explore alternative majors and programs of study.
3. Identify options for students to satisfy degree requirements; assist students in completion of degree requirements; as appropriate, support students pursuing petitions and amendments to their programs of study.
4. Monitor academic progress of students, including eligibility and satisfactory progress toward degree; analyze progress reports from instructor; identify current and potential needs or problem areas such as study skills and need for tutoring and refer students to appropriate campus resources for assistance; communicate findings to other college employees in accordance with student privacy guidelines.
5. Interpret and explain College policies and procedures related to academic programs and requirements. Perform outreach to faculty advisors, and to other related programs and services.
6. Assist students with the processes of admission and registration; provide guidance on course selection in keeping with students’ interests, values and abilities.
7. Maintain student files and records, and document all pertinent student information, and ensure that online information systems are up to date regarding changes to student status.
8. Assist prospective students in determining how credits from other academic institutions are likely to apply to Ithaca College’s Integrative Core Curriculum and other degree requirements; teach transfer student sections of the Ithaca Seminar.
9. Prepare advising materials, such as brochures, handouts, general information summaries, and newsletters. Serve as liaison for departments in providing advisement information.
10. Assist in recruitment of potential students by advising them of general academic requirements; describe courses and assist potential students in identifying possible course selections.
11. Participate in recruitment and orientation programs for prospective students or participants in special programs, such as internships or advanced standing programs.
Position/Job Responsibilities continued
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years’ academic advising experience; familiarity with student development theory and current advising practices and principles; and strong interpersonal and communication skills required. Teaching experience, demonstrated skills in interviewing and advising, and general knowledge of issues and trends in higher education preferred.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants should apply online at apply.icjobs.org and attach a cover letter, resume, and a list containing the contact information for three professional references. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Review of applications will begin immediately. To ensure full consideration, complete applications should be received by February 1, 2013.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Ithaca College - 11 months ago