General Job Description:
The Academic Counselor serves as a knowledgeable resource for students regarding academic success. Under the supervision of the Director of Student Affairs, the Academic Advisor will collaborate with colleagues across the University to provide information to students as they progress through an education program. The Academic Counselor will support the academic progress of students to successful completion of a degree as well as support academic and career goals. This position will work with a specific student population (incoming new graduate students) within the university to help students achieve educational goals and 85% retention rate.
The primary job responsibilities are:
- Provide basic information and routine advice, guidance and assistance to students using established procedures and policies on available programs.
- Serve as a liaison between student and campus
- Mentor and advise students to help them identify their unique skills and interests.
- Address any inquiries, questions, concerns or issues (will refer more difficult issues to a more experienced staff member), and ensure appropriate action is taken to the satisfaction of the student, University and/or regulatory agencies in compliance with policy, procedures and legal requirements.
- Initiates and responds to student communication concerning academic advising, academic programs, University policies, and other student concerns within the scope of Student Services.
- Promotes academic progress and degree completion.
- Interacts with other University departments on behalf of the student.
- Ensures high level of student retention through high standards of service.
- Performs other duties as needed to support our student body.
- Assess the student’s academic strengths and weaknesses.
- Make recommendations for study skills, career development and interpersonal skills.
- Make appropriate referrals to University departments and community agencies to meet student needs.
- Maintain student’s records (temporary and permanent files) with all required documentation.
- Monitor student’s progress by maintaining contact with the student and his/her professors.
- Work closely with Academic Success Center Coordinator to monitor attendance.
- Identify at-risk students.
- Work closely with the Director or Student Affairs to ensure 85% retention among all programs.
- Performs other duties as needed to support University’s student body.
- Ability to plan and monitor for results.
- Understanding of higher education organizations
- Ability to think strategically for change and innovation.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Effective verbal and written communications skills.
- Strong computer skills, specifically with MS Office Suite.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work independently with little supervision.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum one to two years of professional office experience required.
- Experience working in a Student Service or Registrar's office preferred.
Indeed - 24 months ago
copy to clipboard