The Accountant I position is responsible for recording journal entries, performing balance sheet account reconciliations, assisting with the preparation of financial statements, reports, and performance metrics as assigned, and performing various projects requested by the accounting management team.
Essential Functions of the Job:
• Prepare, post, and archive the support for assigned journal entries on both a weekly and monthly basis, having all entries completed in order to achieve a close within one (1) week after each period-end.
• Conduct analytical reviews of operating results/trends and balance sheet accounts/trends on a monthly basis prior to the final closing of the books each period.
• Assist with the preparation of financial statements and/or ad hoc research requests as assigned by the accounting management team.
• Prepare and file balance sheet reconciliations on monthly basis, having all assigned accounts reconciled within three (3) weeks after each period-end.
• Assist, as requested by the accounting management team, with gathering data as well as preparing audit schedules associated with the Company’s annual audit.
• Identify and implement improvements in work flow processing and department efficiency.
• Assist with process and procedure documentation utilizing Microsoft Word as requested.
• Notify management proactively of any issues encountered.
• Assist with the preparation of presentations utilizing Microsoft PowerPoint as requested.
• Assist with special projects as assigned.
• All other duties as assigned.
Yearly performance appraisals will include, but are not limited to the review of the following areas. Other areas may be included / added as business needs warrant.
• Accuracy and completeness of all responsibilities.
• Initiative to understand and proactively partner with the business, not just the accounting mechanics.
• Consistently meeting deadlines.
• Attendance and timeliness, reliable and willing to work additional hours as needed to accomplish responsibilities by defined deadlines, flexible.
• Maintaining a good attitude with professional demeanor and communication at all times.
• Initiative to communicate and resolve encountered issues proactively.
• Consistently demonstrating effort toward learning, growing professionally, and providing increased value to the company.
• Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field.
• 1-3 years of hands on general accounting experience including working with journal entries, general ledger maintenance, and balance sheet reconciliations.
• Must be well organized and motivated.
• Large-box accounting computer software knowledge and experience.
• Demonstrated previous experience maintaining confidential information.
• Excellent professional communication skills (verbal and written).
• Strong Computer Skills – Excel, Word, and 3rd Party Data Mining systems.
• General Business Knowledge.
• Professional work experience with Lawson Financials.
Prior accounting experience in the wholesale, grocery, or foodservice distribution industries