Percent Time: |
Type of Position
Regular: A position which is considered essential for the effective long-term operation of the university. Persons appointed to this position will receive the privileges and benefits associated with regular employment status.
This position serves as a member of the Tippie School of Management Accounting Team. Provides accounting, financial reporting, receivables and procurement expertise to the portfolio of MBA programs offered domestically and internationally for a multi-million dollar operation. While this position will maintain a primary set of responsibilities, it will also serve as a backup to the team and perform duties outside its primary function when necessary to maintain a high level of functional service to all the MBA programs.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Financial Oversight and Budgeting
• Assists Accounting Manager with reporting of revenue & expenses during preparation of budget proposals, mid-year and year-end budget submissions
• Performs back up as required for another Accountant with monthly budget reconciliation duties
• Point person for preparing monthly A/R reports to Accounting Manager and MBA program director
• Maintain system for financial reporting of past due receivables of MBA tuition
• Performs back up as required for another Accountant with monthly budget reporting duties
Financial Analysis and Planning
• Assist with routine retrieval of data from university systems to create financial analysis reports when directed by the Accounting Manager
• Prepare deposits for tuition received in accordance with the Cash Handling Policy
• Process journal entry moves for tuition received in central depository holding accounts as well as original entry moves for tuition paid by internal university budgets
• Process correcting journal entries when errors are identified
• Manage contracts and professional service agreements for all MBA programs
• Has oversight of a complex payment process to our Italy partners per our contract for the CUIS Study Abroad program
• Reconcile monthly procurement card statements for small number of select SOM staff
• Process travel expense vouchers (travel reimbursements) for small number of select SOM staff
• Process vendor payments/reimbursements
For a full job description, please visit
The Accountant position is the 1st of 8 dual career track levels in the Finance and Accounting (PBF) job family. For more information about this job family visit: https://hris.uiowa.edu/CC_Redesign/driver.php?ACTION=DETAIL&FAMILY=PBF
A Bachelor's degree in an appropriate discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
Typically 1-3 years related accounting experience
Demonstrates basic knowledge and ability to:
• Work in a team
• Communicate effectively, both verbal and written, with a diverse population of staff, students, faculty and UI administrative offices to resolve issues or to obtain additional information in an effective and professional manner
Demonstrates working knowledge and ability to:
• Use finance and accounting/budgeting principles
• Process Payables and Receivables
• Multitask in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines
•use Microsoft Office Suite applications including Excel, and Access Database. A work sample test will be given for Access and Excel.
Demonstrates extensive ability to:
• Perform with a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail in a high volume, high pressure environment
Note to Applicant:
Applicants should assure their application, resume and cover letter illustrate the work experience they have that demonstrates the qualifications and competencies listed above. The proficiency level required for the duties/skills of this position are defined as follows:
Basic - Uses basic understanding of the field to perform job duties; may need some guidance on job duties; applies learning to recommend options to address unusual situations.
Working - Successfully completes diverse tasks of the job; applies and enhances knowledge and skill in both usual and unusual issues; needs minimal guidance in addressing unusual situations.
Extensive - Performs without assistance; recognized as a resource to others; able to translate complex nuances to others; able to improve processes; focus on broad issues.
For more detailed information about competencies, visit:
• Highly desired working knowledge of accounting in an academic environment
• Working knowledge of university policies & procedures in Accounts Payable & Travel, General Ledger, eDeposit & Cash Handling
Online Application Options
This job requires basic applicant information, plus a resume. Your resume should not be sent to the contact below. The resume will be attached during the Online Application Process.
A plain text cover letter is required.
References must be filled out online during the application process, however, only professional references will be allowed.
Number of References: 3
To start the Online Application process for this position, click the "Apply for This Position" button located below the Contact Information.
Attention: Your resume should not be sent to the contact below. The resume will be attached during the Online Application Process.
Patricia K Millard - email@example.com
Cbus-Bus Admin - Graduate Prog
JOHN PAPPAJOHN BUSINESS BUILDING
21 EAST MARKET ST.
IOWA CITY, IA 52242
Department URL: http://tippie.uiowa.edu/mba/
The University of Iowa - 7 months ago