Perform administrative and operational duties in support of the leadership within the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management to include maintaining confidential records, files and documents. Prepare, monitor, and reconcile the departmental and project budgets, and assimilate and analyze data, and prepare reports. Schedule appointments and arrange meetings; compose and prepare letters, presentation materials, and other correspondence. Serve as the first point of contact for visitors to the office, screen visitors and callers, and provide information and assistance. Process a variety of College procedural and operational forms.
1. Assist in developing the department annual budget; collect and organize necessary budgetary information from the Administrative Services, Patrol Operations and the Environmental Health and Safety divisions. Assume responsibility for monitoring, verifying and reconciling expenditures of budgeted funds. Analyze budget expenditures and prepare budget reports.
2. Secure approval for the purchase of items and services identified by the Assistant Directors; oversee the posting of expenses and maintain monthly review of budget expenditures; prepare related monthly billings. Communicate with appropriate personnel the correct procedure for utilizing departmental funds.
3. Set up and maintain office files, correspondence and reports required for reference and efficient operation of the Office of Public Safety. Prepare and copy judicial and court-related documents for dissemination on and off campus.
4. Serve as the primary liaison within the Office for processing purchasing requests for operating and capital expenses. Identify and work with vendors to obtain pricing and purchasing options, set up meetings, and serve as the contact person. Track purchase requests and monitor invoices for accuracy. Process purchase requisitions, procard, and E-Z pay transactions using the on-line financial information system Parnassus. Provide updated information, data and reports as requested.
5. Maintain the Office of Public Safety calendar. Arrange for and schedule appointments, meetings and special functions. Assist in coordinating crime prevention and community policing programs and services. Prepare and assist in distributing publications and materials for the College community; prepare invitations, arrange venues, meals and refreshments, and maintain documentation on programs and services conducted. Provide reports and statistical data regarding programs and services.
6. Create, update and maintain various databases and spreadsheets of internal and external trainings, crime prevention, and community policing programs. Maintain records and files documenting the training and re-certification of current Ithaca College Office of Public Safety staff; notify supervisors of required trainings and dates for staff members and assist in registering staff for training activities and programs. Research travel and living accommodation options, make reservations and prepare and process expense reports.
7. Maintain and update the event tracker system to include receiving notification of upcoming events through email, disseminating event information to appropriate staff members, print and log event information and run reports outlining current and future events. Gather information on services provided by the Office of Public Safety and prepare and process billing information to departments.
8. Coordinate staff employee recruitment process. Compile appropriate paperwork for Human Resources; review applications and participate in interviews with applicants as requested; process applications via Manager Self-Service in Parnassus; review payroll and accrual procedures with new staff employees.
9. Update, process and distribute general orders; maintain the internal policies and procedures manual.
10. Provide administrative support to the leadership and staff members within the Office of Public Safety & Emergency Management to include composing and typing letters, reports, statements, and other documents, preparing presentation materials, scheduling meetings and maintaining calendars. Sort and distribute mail; and screen in-coming correspondence and compose replies based on general instructions
11. Serve as first point of contact for visitors to the Administrative Services area within the Office of Public safety; greet and screen students, staff and visitors, answer telephones and provide information and assistance.
12. Coordinate the lost and found property program, to include proper documentation, identification of the rightful owner, and storage and return/disposal of found property. Maintain the lost and found property database and physical inventory. Log property in and out upon receipt and return; arrange for return of property.
13. Order and renew departmental subscriptions, publications and supplies. Participate in special projects and duties as assigned. Attend staff meetings and take minutes; Recommend to supervisor methods for improvement of office procedures or workflow; initiate approved suggestions.
14. Initiate requests for routine maintenance, and equipment repair in accordance with departmental procedures. Ensure confidentiality and security of office facilities, equipment and records and provide assistance within the Office of Public Safety and Emergency Management as needed and assigned.
Position/Job Responsibilities continued
Associate’s degree and a minimum of 3 years previous office experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience; in-depth knowledge of various word processing, spreadsheet and database software applications and familiarity with automated records management systems; excellent attention to detail; strong organizational, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills; previous experience maintaining and monitoring departmental budgets and expenditures, accounting or processing of financial transactions; demonstrated ability to handle confidential information, prioritize projects, handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines are required.
This position is critical to Public Safety operations and provides both administrative and operational support to three (3) different service units within the Office of Public Safety which is operational 24/7 year round and is comprised of 40 professional staff and 40 student staff. Service units supported by this position include Patrol & Security, Environmental Health & Safety; Administrative/Parking Services; and Student Auxiliary services, including student safety patrols (approx. 35 SASP students with a dedicated budget). This single administrative position for the entire department provides the following support (in part and/or in whole) to all Public Safety administrators from the three (3) different service units, to include the Public Safety Director: payroll; training; travel, budget; procurement; processing and reconciling expenditures; first point of contact for Administrative Services (phone, walk up counter/reception); and, all traditional, essential job duties of an administrative assistant.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested individuals should apply online at apply.icjobs.org and attach a cover letter, resume, and the contact information for three (3) professional references. Questions about online application may be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Review of applications will begin immediately.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Ithaca College - 5 months ago
A comprehensive college that since its founding in 1892 has recognized the value of combining theory and performance, Ithaca provides a rigo...