ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT I
Administrative Unit - Sacramento
SALARY RANGE: (DOE) $15.96-$21.42/hour; $31,128-$41,784/year
DEADLINE: February 20, 2013
Disability Rights California will provide on-the-job training for this position, as well as ongoing training opportunities. This position is responsible to the Administrative Unit Office Manager for providing administrative and clerical assistance to office/unit staff.
1. Establish and maintain filing systems; prepare/update binders; coordinate and make arrangements for travel, meetings, and conference calls; calendaring; copying; faxing; distribution of materials; and processing mail.
2. Type/edit/proofread documents, correspondence, forms, and charts utilizing Microsoft Word or WordPerfect for Windows, and Excel.
3. With minimal supervision, handle telephone contacts with clients, professionals and others outside the organization; and also provide reception back-up relief as needed.
4. With supervisory oversight, act as liaison between other units within the agency – i.e., gather information from and/or convey information to other units, handle follow-up tasks, and report back to requestor as directed by supervisor.
5. Inventory and ordering of office supplies, including purchasing and maintenance of office furniture and equipment.
6. Process purchase orders and various accounting and administrative forms, including submission of related paperwork.
7. Maintain adequate postage and postage supplies.
8. Data entry and preparation of reports, as needed.
9. Provide logistical support for projects and trainings.
10. Provide assistance to staff with disabilities, as needed.
11. Participate in off-site outreach to minority and underserved communities.
12. Travel required on an as-needed basis, including occasional evening and weekend work.
13. Perform other duties as assigned.
(Applicants MUST meet EACH of the Minimum Qualifications to be considered for an interview.)
1. Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing, including a working knowledge of correct grammar, punctuation, spelling, and sentence structure.
2. Education equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade.
3. One year of progressively responsible administrative or secretarial experience.
4. Keyboard Proficiency: 45 net words per minute.
5. Experience using Microsoft Word or WordPerfect, and Excel.
6. Effective telephone skills, including the ability to handle difficult calls and situations patiently and tactfully.
7. Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions, to work well under pressure and deadlines, and to prioritize and handle multiple tasks, with minimal supervision.
8. Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and to be flexible with changing situations.
9. Experience working with or sensitivity to persons with disabilities.
10. Experience working with or sensitivity to persons from ethnic or language distinct communities.
(Applicants DO NOT have to meet any of the Desirable Qualifications to be considered for an interview.)
1. Ability to read, write, and speak Spanish or an Asian language fluently; or fluency in American Sign Language.
NOTE: Applicants who claim to be fluent in any of the desired languages will be tested at time of interview.
2. Specialized coursework or training in secretarial or business administration.
3. Experience using Access and/or PowerPoint database programs.
4. A working knowledge of the laws, rights, and services pertaining to people with disabilities in California.
5. Experience working for nonprofit and/or social service agencies.
6. Experience in the disability rights movement and/or extensive contacts in the disability community.
7. Experience with and/or extensive contacts in ethnic or language distinct communities.
8. Familiarity and/or extensive contacts with one or more of the following: homelessness, criminal justice, substance abuse, or Gay/Lesbian/Bi-Sexual/ Transgender/Intersex (GLBTI) communities.
To be considered for this position, applicants MUST submit the following:
1. Disability Rights California Employment Application (must fill out completely; do not state “See Resume”).
3. Cover Letter, which addresses your personal and professional motivation for seeking this position and indicating how you meet EACH of the Minimum and ANY of the Desirable Qualifications for this position.
1. General clerical skills tests will be administered to applicants who are selected for an interview.
2. An oral language assessment test will be administered to bilingual applicants ONLY.
3. Your typing will be tested at the time of the interview.