Applications Accepted from: ALL PERSONS INTERESTED
Department: Houston Emergency Center
Division: Office of Emergency Management
Location: 5320 N. Shepherd
Workdays & Hours: M-F, 8 a.m.- 5 p.m.
*Subject to change*
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Performs varied professional administrative functions in the research, development, interpretation and implementation of the assigned department's fiscal and operational policies and procedures.
• Interprets and disseminates administrative policies and procedural revisions for staff implementation.
• Provides guidance to department staff in various activities necessary to attain operational goals.
• Composes correspondence, directives, speeches, etc.; prepares drafts on various departmental matters and edits material as required.
• Prepares and analyzes the department's annual budget and budget revisions; manages expenditures and monitors line item balances.
• Responds to written and telephone inquiries, requests and complaints from the general public.
• Conducts studies of department organization and operation; coordinates preparation of report on findings and offers recommendations concerning various problems.
• Represents department head at designated conferences, meetings, and public events.
• Assists as needed in producing public information activities, including preparing news releases, brochures, visual presentations, etc.
Participates in special projects as assigned.
Performing these duties will involve: the ability to visually observe and differentiate details; sit for extended periods; solve arithmetic and numerical problems; adjust to repetitive activities; speak and write effectively; attend to details amid distractions; deal with people in tense situations; stooping, bending and lifting up to twenty (20) pounds; operate city vehicles; speaking clearly and effectively; getting people to cooperate. Must be willing and available to work all shifts, including rotation, weekends and holidays.
MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Liberal Arts or a related field.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
Three years of administrative experience are required. Professional administrative experience may be substituted for the above education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
MINIMUM LICENSE REQUIREMENTS
Valid Class C Texas driver's license and compliance with city's policy on driving (AP 2-2).
Preference will be given to applicants with administrative experience involving office and records management. Proficient in Windows 95, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and with strong interpersonal, analytical and problem solving skills
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION: ( X ) Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if candidate is promoted into this position, he/she must pass an assigned drug test.
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
The salary range for this position is: Pay Grade 21
OPENING DATE: February 13, 2013
CLOSING DATE: February 26, 2013
Only online applications are accepted and must be received by the Human Resources Department during posting opening and closing dates shown. For consideration apply online at: www.houstontx.gov.
For application status inquiries or special accommodations, please call (713) 884-3633.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
An Equal Opportunity Employer