WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY
VETERANS UPWARD BOUND
ADULT EDUCATION SPECIALIST
Western Kentucky University’s Veterans Upward Bound project is seeking to hire an Adult Education Specialist. This is a 12-month full-time regular position, and its continuation is dependent on grant funding.
Western Kentucky University (WKU) is located in Bowling Green, KY, and is a research institution with over 20,000 students. WKU is conveniently located approximately 50 miles from the metro Nashville, TN area.
Veterans Upward Bound is designed to motivate and assist veterans with developing academic and other requisite skills necessary for acceptance and success in postsecondary education. The primary goal of the program is to increase the rate at which participants enroll in and complete higher education programs. The program provides assessment and enhancement of basic skills through counseling, mentoring, tutoring, and academic instruction in core subject areas (e.g. math, english, science, etc.).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The following duties are customary for this position, but are not construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted, and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs.
- Develops and assists in successful motivational and remedial/refresher classroom programs designed to prepare qualified veteran participants for success in college/vocational school
- Prepares individualized instructional plans and materials to diagnose and meet student academic needs
- Provides stimulating academic motivation for re-entry adult students
- Considerable record keeping is required
- The availability to work some nights and weekends is necessary for this position
Minimal Required Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Student Affairs, Human Services, or a related area
- Experience in an educational or agency setting
- Demonstrated ability to teach mathematics, science, and/or computers
- One year teaching experience or commensurate experience in the field of expertise
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and varying educational levels
- Strong desire to promote educational achievement and opportunity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with technology, including Microsoft Office
Salary Grade: 107 Salary Range: $29,000 - $33,000
Applications for employment will be accepted electronically only. Interested candidates must submit a letter of application, current resume, and names, addresses and daytime phone numbers of three professional references using the online application process. Please refer to the following website to apply:
. For further assistance call (270) 745-5934. Please reference requisition number S3541. For full consideration, submit application materials on or before February 22, 2013. Position will remain open until filled.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, religion, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify The Office of Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services at (270) 745- 5121, a minimum of five working days in advance.
- 2 years ago - save job