Good Shepherd Services |
, a leading NYC non-profit committed to the success of young people and families, is currently seeking an Advocate Counselor, for our West Brooklyn Community High School Program in Brooklyn.
The Advocate Counselor provides individual and group counseling to high school students and assists in implementing other aspects of the program. The Advocate Counselor plans and facilitates the Community Leaders' class.
- Monitor student attendance and educational progress.
- Provide counseling and conduct attendance outreach including homes visits and visits to work sites.
- Plan and facilitate Community Leaders' group classes.
- Recruit students and conduct intake assessments and interviews.
- Support student growth by providing continuous feedback and addressing behaviors to meet the individual needs of students.
- Develop student schedules; monitor and counsel students on credit accumulation and graduation requirements.
- Provide crisis intervention and conflict mediation and assistance with out-of-school issues.
- Assist with referrals to outside resources, including employment, emergency shelter, day care and additional social services.
- Develop and facilitate health services and insurance enrollment for youth from the high school.
- Complete program documentation, statistics, and assist guidance counselor with school records.
- Orient students to the program and assist them in developing and implementing academic goal plans.
- Work as collaborative team with faculty to support student progress.
- Engage students' families to support positive outcomes for the student. Assisting families with identified needs.
- Facilitate workshops for students regarding job and career development activities.
- Assist students with finding and sustaining employment.
- Assist students in preparing financial aid, college applications and other post-high school career/academic plans in collaboration with guidance counselor.
- Participate in staff meetings, overnight retreats, and staff development.
- Develop an elective, after-school component to the program.
- Develop and implement student enrichment activities.
- Occasional evening and Saturday hours required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in related field required.
- Bilingual Spanish/English preferred.
- Valid driver's license preferred.
- Extensive experience working with adolescents individually and in groups.
- Commitment to assisting students in understanding and working with the school mission and philosophy.
- Commitment to working as a member of the school team.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and or youth development perspective.
idealist.org - 2 years ago