Did you know?
Costco Wholesale is a multi-billion dollar global retailer with warehouse club operations in eight countries. We are the recognized leader in our field, dedicated to quality in every area of our business and respected for our outstanding business ethics. Despite our large size and explosive international expansion, we continue to provide a family atmosphere in which our employees thrive and succeed.
Description of position
This individual will join the AIX team at Costco, participating in administration of the AIX environment, integration of licensed and/or OEM software packages as well as all strategic and tactical planning of the environment required to meet Costco-specific business needs. The individual filling this role will also be expected to deliver excellent customer service and to interact in a highly effective manner with other team members and management. Costco is looking for a creative individual who can effectively manage projects and multiple tasks to meet business objectives.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Implement and maintain AIX solutions that support systems such as WebSphere and MQ Series.
- Plan and execute major platform software and operating system upgrades and maintenance across a multi-LPAR environment.
- Manage the planning, implementation, and upgrade of OEM packages.
- Proactively manage system resources to assure maximum system performance and appropriate additional capacity for peak periods and growth.
- Plan, configure and implement features on the AIX platform that improve availability, response time, and monitoring of key system metrics.
- Provide support to the user community using incident and problem management tools, email, and voicemail.
- Serve as a mentor and provide guidance and training to other team members and I.S. personnel.
- Periodic off-hours work required including weekends and holidays. Must be able to provide 24 by 7 on-call support as necessary.
- Participation in off-site DR tests and occasional travel will be required.
Required skills, abilities, and certifications
Recommended skills, abilities, and certifications
- Minimum of 3-years of strong AIX / Unix skills as a System Administrator or Engineer/Architect with the following:
- Systems Management and Administration (applying fixes, loading the OS, creating Gold images, resolving system issues, working with vendors to resolve issues, etc).
- Able to plan, install and integrate software packages (OEM, OS, etc.).
- AIX / Unix Systems and Application integration.
- System Backup and Recovery.
- Performance Tuning and Capacity Planning experience.
- Understanding of Configuration Management and Change Management Best Practices.
- Possess thorough understanding of AIX connectivity at a physical and logical level.
- Unix Security.
- Scripting experience.
- Excellent trouble shooting skills and the ability to logically think through problem situations.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to partner with others in the area or company to deliver quality solutions.
- Able to work effectively and produce consistent results with a minimum of supervision. Self-motivated, responsible, conscientious, and detail-oriented.
- Able to work well under pressure and handle crisis situations professionally.
- Ability to easily adapt to a rapidly changing work environment.
- No telecommuting.
To Apply: Email your current resume to IT_JOBS@costco.com . If hired, you will be required to provide proof of authorization to work in the United States.
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or equivalent formal training and experience.
- Experience and interest in Red Hat Linux enterprise environments.
- Experience with IBM p-Series hardware, LPAR’s and other hardware management technologies.
- Understanding of Clustering and High Availability (preferred, but not required).
- System Backup and Recovery (Tivoli Storage Manager preferred, but not required).
- Monitoring (Tivoli Enterprise Monitoring preferred, but not required).
Costco Wholesale - 2 years ago
Costco Wholesale is a multi-billion dollar global retailer with warehouse club operations in eight countries. We are the recognized leader...