IFC Asset Management Company, LLC (AMC) is the fund management arm of International Finance Corporation (IFC). AMC was established in 2009 as a wholly-owned subsidiary of IFC to mobilize and manage third-party capital for investment in private enterprise in developing and frontier markets. It aims to enhance IFC’s development impact and financial sustainability, as well as generating attractive returns for its investors. AMC-managed funds are targeted at investors who are looking to increase their exposure to emerging markets and who are interested in accessing IFC’s transaction pipeline, investment approach and standards, global reach and track-record of superior returns. AMC currently has $4.5 billion under management in the following funds:
In addition, AMC is in the process of raising new funds and will manage these funds as well as raise and manage additional funds in the future, each with a focus on a particular sector, region or product.
- IFC African, Latin American and Caribbean Fund, which co-invests in IFC equity and equity related transactions in Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean across a broad range of sectors
- IFC Capitalization Fund, which invests in the equity and subordinated debt of large domestic commercial banks in developing countries
- Africa Capitalization Fund, which makes equity and equity-related investments in commercial banks in North Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa
- IFC Russian Capitalization Fund which makes equity and equity-related investments in commercial banks in Russia
IFC’s investment departments support AMC by providing investment origination, execution and supervision services, while investment and portfolio decisions for funds under management are taken independently by AMC.
Duties and Accountabilities:
AMC is looking to hire a lawyer for the position of Counsel to work with AMC’s Head of Legal to support the legal, compliance and regulatory functions at AMC. The Counsel will report to the Head of Legal of AMC.
Under the direction of the Head of Legal, take primary responsibility for all assigned transaction-specific legal work through appropriate supervision of the legal teams involved in each transaction, including (i) evaluation of due diligence results; (ii) review of the transaction structure and all relevant terms; (iii) negotiation and review of documentation prepared by IFC lawyers and external counsel; and (iv) oversight of the commitment and disbursement process.
- Due Diligence, Transaction Structuring and Negotiation.
Assist the Head of Legal in managing the Company’s relationships with outside counsel; monitoring and controlling legal expenses; maintaining corporate records and internal “knowledge base” of precedent transaction documents, legal memoranda and other materials; preparation for AMC Board meetings and Conflicts of Interest Committee and other Board committee meetings; compliance with AMC internal policies, procedures and codes of conduct; ongoing administration of funds, including compliance by AMC with applicable partnership agreements, shareholders agreements and other governing documents.
- Corporate Legal Administration; Fund Administration and Compliance.
Under the direction of the Head of Legal and with the assistance of external counsel and tax consultants, analyze the applicable foreign investment and tax regulations applicable to potential investee companies of AMC-managed funds to ensure (i) compliance by the relevant fund with applicable foreign investment laws and (ii) optimal tax results. Supervise the preparation and filing of applications, notices and other materials with regulatory authorities and the creation, as necessary, of holding companies to hold fund investments.
- Investment-Specific Regulatory and Tax Matters.
NOTE: The selected candidate will be employed directly by AMC, which is a distinct legal entity from IFC. While the initial job post is based in Washington DC, the position may be relocated outside of the U.S. after 12 months. If the selected candidate is a World Bank Group (WBG) staff member, he /she would be able to be seconded to AMC under the WBG External Service Program.
- Law degree with at least 6 years of experience in relevant legal work for a leading international law firm and/or in-house legal department
- Substantial transactional/corporate law/compliance experience
- Private equity fund formation experience a plus
- Excellent business judgment and pragmatic hands-on approach, willingness to assume multiple roles and tasks to meet changing business needs.
- Sharp analytical skills and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to form effective working relations with clients and colleagues across the IFC Group
- Ability to manage outside counsel and control costs effectively
- Ability to handle negotiations with investors, co-investors, investee companies and suppliers in a constructive and positive manner
- Highest professional integrity and ethical behavior
For External Applications
External Applicants (non-World Bank Staff) MUST NOT submit application through Job World. Please send your cover letter and resume via e-mail to AMCRecruit@ifc.org
IFC Asset Management Company, LLC is an equal opportunity employer.
IFC - 21 months ago
IFC, a member of the World Bank Group, is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in developing countries....