Under direction of Animal Care Program Animal Resources Supervisor, incumbent is responsible for physical environment for group of assigned laboratory animals. Performs routine animal health related tasks. Performs basic animal husbandry, assists with rodent colony maintenance (breeding, weaning, etc.). Operates computer terminal. Maintains records on animal deliveries. Prints and receives all I.D. cards.
- Works overtime, weekends and holidays, as needed.
- Works in biohazard and radioactive areas; and wear protective clothing/equipment.
- Sensitivity to needs of caged laboratory animals. Skill in administration of medications: oral, topical and injectable.
- Skill with clinical diagnostic lab specimen collection techniques. Ability to learn and apply principles of sanitizing and disinfecting.
- Skill to recognize normal and abnormal body functions and vital signs in variety of laboratory animals.
- Skill in humane methods of euthanasia in laboratory animals.
- Ability to use and understand basic medical terminology.
- Ability to follow direction, be thorough in performing assigned tasks, and to organize work.
- Ability to work with diverse group of people. Ability to exercise diplomacy and flexibility in interacting with diverse and multi-national scientific staff.
SPECIAL CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
- AALAS certification - ALAT or higher.
- Working knowledge of laws and regulations that govern housing and management of lab animals as applied to University of California.
UC San Diego is an Equal Opportunity / Staff Affirmative Action Employer that values a diverse workforce and provides reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities.
- Must posses a valid California driver's license.
- Placement contingent upon satisfactory background check.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment physical examination.
UC San Diego Health System is San Diego’s only academic health system and is composed of UC San Diego Medical Center in Hillcrest, and...