NEON is looking for an individual to be part of the Airborne Observatory team that is developing the airborne remote sensing payloads, operating the airborne payloads, and commissioning the airborne systems for operations. The AOP remote sensing payload consists of a VSWIR imaging spectrometer, a small footprint waveform LiDAR, and a digital camera. The successful candidate will have hands-on experience with remote sensing instrumentation, analyzing systems, performing requirements analysis and management, verification and validation, troubleshooting issues and commissioning the airborne systems. The individual will be capable of analyzing and documenting system architecture and requirements, contributing to and leading system validation and system level test cases and procedures, performing and leading test activities on the airborne remote sensing systems, performing requirements traceability, leading troubleshooting activities and tracking issues to closure. The individual will be capable of accepting different tasks out of his/her comfort zone and knowledge base and have the ability to successfully communicate with diverse teams and audiences.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• May travel to assigned site as a member of the AOP (Airborne Observation Platform) flight operations team during Operations, from March to October (i.e., one week away from HQ every couple of months) as project needs indicate.
• Analyze and understand the airborne observatory operations concept.
• Define operational scenarios and/or use cases to capture user needs and requirements.
• Elicit, analyze, document and review system requirements.
• Analyze detailed designs and compare against system requirements and architecture.
• Deconstruct requirements.
• Manage requirements, requirements traceability and integrate requirements into database.
• Analyze and document system architecture and external interfaces.
• Develop integration and system verification test cases and procedures.
• Execute and document system integration and verification tests.
• Identify, track and resolve issues.
• Lead the development of and execution of commissioning of airborne systems – based on the operations concept and operational scenarios/use cases.
• Develop and manage risk analysis and risk management.
• Coordinate and collaborate with Systems Engineering during systems integration, validation and verification testing.
• Complete flight operations training.
• Follow FAA, NEON and site specific, flight safety and environmental protection requirements, policy and procedures
Required Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills:
• Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or other relevant technical discipline.
• 7 or more years’ experience in a design and development environment. Equivalent education and experience may be considered.
• Experience with hardware/software experience in remote sensing system development.
• Experience with acceptance reviews and commissioning activities.
• Experience writing detailed test procedures for consistent test execution.
• Experience performing hands-on system integration and verification test execution and troubleshooting.
• Experience in the design review process execution/facilitation.
• Experience with configuration management and quality management plans and processes.
• Ability to analyze and integrate data and information from complex, distributed systems.
• Ability to apply Systems engineering plans and processes to NEON systems engineering processes.
• Ability and knowledge of how to conduct requirements analysis and management.
• Ability to conduct requirements verification and validation, including writing system test cases based upon system requirements and system operational concept.
• Knowledge of System architecture definition and Interface Control Documents (ICDs).
• Ability to create integration test cases based upon system architecture documents and ICDs.
• Ability to pass FAA Third Class Medical Exam.
• Very effective communication and interpersonal skills.
• Experience working in a collaborative scientific enterprise.
• Ability to work independently and as a part of an active science/engineering team.
Preferred Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills:
• Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or other equivalent technical discipline.
• 5 or more years’ experience in the systems engineering discipline.
• Knowledge of modeling, simulation, and calibration activities.
• Experience building and configuring test systems for remote sensing instrumentation.
• Interest in applying skills and experience to gathering data on ecological issues.
NEON Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.
NEON Systems, Inc. (NEON) is a provider of enterprise-class mainframe integration software. NEON develops, markets and supports a unified...