This position reports to the REP Associate Director.
About the Department: The Representation & Engagement Programs (REP) Associate Director is responsible for supervising the overall operations of the REP. This includes ensuring and facilitating coordination of the activities of the AS Elections Coordinator, AS Student Senate Chair, AS Legislative Liaison, the Committee Coordinator, and the Voter Registration and Education Coordinator (in federal election years). The Associate Director will work with the University Administration and Faculty to coordinate efforts to promote effective citizenship and civic engagement
Term of Position
Temporary position: Beginning approximately 2 weeks prior to the start of fall quarter and ending the day after Election Day. The position is designed to require approximately thirty (30) to forty (40) hours of total work.
AS Employment Responsibilities
- Be fully aware of the REP Voter Registration policies and methods by:
- Attending the voter registration staff training
- Register students to vote by:
- Being on time for work as scheduled.
- Actively encouraging students to register to vote.
- Being present at the voter registration booth or other voter registration outreach activities during scheduled working hours.
- Assisting students in registering to vote either online or on paper registration form.
- Communicating with students about the importance of registering to vote.
- Providing voter registration volunteers with direction.
- Answering questions that arise while students are registering to vote.
- Reporting and discussing problems as encountered to supervisor.
- Keeping the voter registration booth clean and organized.
- Help to ensure that students vote by:
- Encouraging students to join a reminder to vote list/system.
- Informing students about voting related events being put on by the REP.
- Participating in Get Out the Vote efforts by assisting at outreach events such as going door-to-door in residence halls or educational events and forums.
- Keep accurate records of students registered to vote by:
- Keeping a count of number of students registered to vote by hour.
- Collecting, sorting and preparing voter registration forms for mailing or delivery.
- Assisting in keeping an electronic record of the number of students registered to vote.
AS Representation & Engagement Programs Responsibilities
- Serve the diverse membership of the Associated Students in a professional and ethical manner by:
- Being familiar with and upholding the AS Charter, all WWU policies, and all AS policies including the Employment Policy, Code of Conduct, and Program Standards.
- Being knowledgeable of the AS organization and its general operations.
- Ensure the legacy of this position by:
- Working with supervisor and Personnel Director to revise and update position job description.
- Empower and support the Associated Students membership with civic engagement information, activities, and peer education by:
- Maintaining regular posted office hours per week as arranged with the REP team. Providing unbiased, nonjudgmental, and accurate information and services to students.
- Maintaining up-to-date records and information of on and off campus services in order to provide effective referrals
- Provide voter education and voter registration information
- Ensure the smooth, effective operations of the Representation and Engagement Programs by:
- Attending weekly REP staff meetings, office check-ins, and any additional departmental activities.
- Promoting teamwork and collaboration throughout the REP office.
- Assisting with the coordination of activities, materials, and tabling schedules for all REP civic engagement events
- Establishing and maintaining active working relationships with other REP team members.
- Develop and enhance the teamwork, communication, and effectiveness of the REP by:
- Plan short- and long-term goals for the REP with office staff and the REP Director
- Continually receiving feedback from participants of events and services
- Maintaining continual communication with REP staff outside of meetings
- Foster working relationships with related campus and community resources by:
- Being aware of and participating in REP related events
- Fostering and enhancing working relationships and communications with Western Votes and other civic engagement organizations on campus.
- Maintain a minimum credit load throughout term of position of 6 credits for undergraduates and 4 credits for graduates.
- Maintain a minimum of a 2.00 cumulative grade point average.
- Ability to complete the entire term of the position.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with a wide variety of people.
- Organizational and time management skills
- Outgoing nature that is comfortable communicating with and outreaching to strangers
- Basic knowledge of the voter registration process
- Ability to provide information in an unbiased and neutral manner
- Understanding of the importance of maintaining confidentiality of voter registration information and documents
This position reports directly to the REP Associate Director .
all majors encouraged to apply
Job Location: Western Washington University-Viking Union 435
Salary: This position will receive a Program Support Staff 2 wage, which is $9.19 per hour.
Bargaining Union: Not applicable
Application Instructions and Requested Documents: Please log in below and submit your application via Western's Electronic System for Employment (EASE). Note: You will need to be using Internet Explorer to utilize our online application system.
A cover letter and resume are required and should address your experience related to the position responsibilities and the required and preferred qualifications. In your cover letter please also specifically address the following questions:
Why are you interested in working for the Associated Students?
Why are you interested in working in this position?
What specific skills, knowledge, and/or experience (paid and volunteer) do you have that would help you be successful in this position?
What is your schedule of availability for a job interview?
You may cut and paste or upload your resume and cover letter as noted on the EASE application. Please complete the education and work experience section of the EASE application and submit the names and contact information of two professional references.
Western Washington University - 14 months ago