The Assistant Controller is responsible for planning, directing, and coordinating all general ledger and accounting operations functions. The position also develops and monitors departmental performance metrics, continually assessing current accounting operations and recommending/implementing improved processes to keep the department’s on-going support of the business relevant and value-added. The Assistant Controller leads special projects as business needs dictate.
Essential Functions of the Job:
• Responsible for the general ledger ensuring its accuracy, integrity, and consistency across all subsidiaries including its design/structure, alignment with GAAP, and its monthly reconciliation to all sub-ledgers and supporting documents.
• Design and direct the month-end closing process to consistently achieve closes within one week following each fiscal period-end.
• Ensure balance sheets across all entities are reconciled with filed support on a monthly basis.
• Plan and direct the functional areas of Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable.
• Ensure compliance with defined internal controls, partnering with Manager, Internal Controls & Audit to keep processes and controls relevant and effective.
• Collaborate with Manager, Financial Reporting & Consolidations to deliver timely and accurate financial statements and sub-schedules for each business unit.
• Collaborate with Sr. Manager, Margin Management to ensure accurate ledger representation of Buying Income performance.
• Partner with Manager, Internal Controls & Audit serving as liaisons to external auditors to support their audit review procedures.
• Build effective relationships with Business Leadership and drive a culture of Continuous Improvement within accounting to ensure deliverables and service remain relevant and value-added to the business.
• Take a lead role in the conversion of current systems and business processes to new platforms ensuring data integrity and accounting operations are accurate, efficient, and drive value.
• Own special projects as requested by Corporate Controller and/or SVP Finance & CFO.
Yearly performance appraisals will include, but are not limited to the review of the following areas. Other areas may be included / added as business needs warrant.
• Work Standards: Sets high level of performance for self; self-imposed standards of excellence rather than having standards imposed by others; Publishes accurate deliverables by checking /validating processes, tasks, and results; Consistently achieves deadlines.
• Communication: Expresses information and responds to others professionally and effectively (written and verbally); Adjusts terminology and approach to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
• Initiative: Active attempts to influence events to achieve goals; Self-starting; Takes action to achieve goals beyond what is required; is proactive; Designs/Implements improved methods.
• Reliability: Attendance; Flexibility; Invests additional hours to achieve results and meet goals.
• Collaboration: Works effectively with peers and others outside of formal authority lines to accomplish goals; Takes actions that respect the needs and contributions of others; Contributing to and accepting consensus.
• Professionalism: Maintains a professional demeanor and approach in all times
• 10 or more years leading accounting teams for high transaction, multi-location organizations.
• Advanced strategic planning, collaboration, communication, and leadership talent.
• Comprehensive knowledge of and the ability to research GAAP.
• Strong organizational, analytical and technology skills.
• Extensive experience multi-tasking, working under pressure, and meeting required deadlines.
• Multiple years of hands-on experience with large-box Accounting Systems, Microsoft Suite, and 3rd party data extraction/analysis tools.
• BA/BS in Accounting, Finance, or related discipline.
• Multi-year experience within the Grocery, Foodservice, or Wholesale Distribution industries.
• Previous experience in public accounting and/or Sarbanes-Oxley environment.
• MBA, CPA, CMA or MS in Accounting.
The Grocers Supply Co., Inc. - 24 months ago
copy to clipboard