The Assistant Director of Engineering-Plant Maintenance and Operations:
- Assures the delivery of quality department services in accordance with established hospital and regulatory/accreditation agency standards.
- Is responsible and accountable for the overall operations of their assigned department. Overall operations of the department include development of department goals and objectives that are consistent with the hospital mission, the management of personnel, preparing/monitoring of and accountability for the department budgets.
- assures employee compliance with hospital and Human Resources policies and procedures
- Assures that employee competency and education requirements are satisfied as per hospital policy.
- As required, participates in the Performance Improvement Program as defined by the organization.
- Attends Management/Leadership meetings as scheduled/required and communicates hospital policies, performance improvement initiatives and all other required information to their staff.
- Is responsible for participation in committees, task forces and projects as appropriate.
- Assures the provision of a safe employee/patient environment.
- Maintains knowledge related to the operations of their department.
- Works collaboratively with all levels of the hospital interdisciplinary team and promotes the team concept within their department and hospital wide.
- Demonstrates positive customer service, fosters positive employee relations and assures that staff adheres to the Customer Service Behavioral Standards.
- Is supportive of hospital initiatives and projects and functions as a positive change agent.
- Promotes a positive and professional image and is a role model, coach, mentor and resource for staff and peers.
1. Develops and submits departmental goals and objectives as required by the Division Administrator. Assist in the development of policies and procedures to assure standards of performance are met.
2. Participates in Interviewing, hiring, evaluating, counseling and terminating employees as per hospital policy. Utilization of the grievance procedure will be followed as required.
3. Schedules staff based on budgeted staffing plan and department needs.
4. Develops and submits operating and capital budgets and reports variances as required to the Division Administrator.
5. Assures compliance with Federal, State, and Local regulations and accreditation standards, including but not limited to: The Joint Commission, New York State Building and Health Departments, City of White Plains Building and Public Safety Departments, Unites States Department of Housing and Urban Development, National Fire Protection Association standards, AIA Guidelines for the Construction of Healthcare Facilities, and others as required by individual projects.
6. Assures completion of staff orientation, annual and ongoing competency and education requirements.
7. Attends and participates in educational programs or activities to maintain current level of knowledge or expertise to manage department.
8. Participates and assures department involvement in ongoing Performance Improvement initiative as required. Submits reports as required.
9. Conducts monthly staff meetings to update staff and/or address department issues and records meeting minutes for all staff.
10. Utilizes multiple methodologies to communicate information.
11. Adheres to and implements safety standards for employees, visits and patients.
12. Participates in committees, task forces, projects, etc. as required.
13. Assist in the development of end user programs by directly overseeing design meetings with facility employees and design consultants.
14. Assist in the development of project equipment lists and requirements by participating in design meetings with facility employees and design consultants, including Department Managers, Biomedical Engineering, Telecommunications, Information Technologies, Building Services, and Project Management.
15. Assist in the development of project budgets to be presented to facility administration and regulatory agencies, and used for overall project design parameters.
16. Assist in the development of capital projects by working with outside designers, vendors, and contractors to ensure continued plant operations throughout the project
17. Assist in the implementation of capital projects by working with the construction team to ensure compliance with all Hospital & Regulatory requirements including PCRA, ICRA, ISLM assessments: Shut Off and Hot Work requests, and the continued operations of the plant
18. Assist in the development of regulatory review packages, including submissions to New York State Health Department, City of White Plains Building Department, United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
19. Assist in the direct supervision of Engineers and Design Consultants as required by ongoing projects. Including review of design documents for compliance with end user programs, facility standards and needs, regulatory agency requirements and codes.
20. Assist in the direct supervision of contactors working on facility grounds including: scheduling, adherence to job specifications, quality of work placed, safety, and regulatory compliance.
21. Assist in the direct supervision of department staff including: facility operations, maintenance, and facility construction projects. Including: scheduling, adherence to job specifications, quality of work placed, safety, and regulatory compliance.
22. Assist in the set up and occupancy of new and relocated end user programs. Including punch list development and implementation, commissioning of mechanical equipment and systems, scheduling of equipment deliveries and startups, coordinating and working with all regulatory agencies, development and implementation of staff orientation and education.
23. Responsible to share On-Call with other department managers to give the facility 24/7 coverage by an Engineering Manager.
24. Assist the Director (s) of Engineering and Vice president of Facilities in the test and inspection of Utilities and Life safety systems and ensure compliance of all required documentation for The Joint Commission, OSHA, WPFD, NYSDOH and other regulatory agencies
25. Assist in the development and maintenance of facility system As-Built documentation by working with project teams, designers, and contractors and ensuring that building information is correct and updated.
26. Submits all other work reports as required/requested by the Division Administrator.
Performs all other duties as assigned.
Education, Training, Licensure and Experience Requirements
Bachelors degree in related specialized field preferred
At least 5 years of plant operations experience, preferably in a hospital environment
At least 5 years of progressive supervisory experience
In-depth understanding and working knowledge of The Joint Commission, environment of care and life safety standards
Demonstrated knowledge of building, infrastructure, and transportation systems, including applicable building and environmental codes, and regulatory requirements
Effective, credible, engaging leader with ability to hold team accountable
Excellent interpersonal skills - ability to motivate and influence others to achieve excellence
Highly organized, systematic and able to function successfully in a fast paced environment
High level of initiative and ability to manage competing priorities / short deadlines
Embraces shared decision making and coordination with other departments
Effective oral and written communication with all levels of the organization
High level analytical, critical thinking and problem solving ability
Experience in computer software including: Microsoft Word and Excel ( required); Microsoft Access, Project and Auto CADD ( preferred) .
Licensure in at least one of the following trades is desirable: Electrician, Plumbing, HVAC, Stationary Engineer
White Plains Hospital - 17 months ago
White Plains Hospital is a voluntary, not-for-profit health care organization with the primary mission of offering high quality, acute...