Description of the Position:
The Associate Cook will learn to safely prepare food items while following menu specifications and standard recipes in a quick, timely, and accurate manner. This Team Member will perform all duties in accordance with Valley View Casino & Hotel's policies and within the realm of the Valley View Casino & Hotel’s Mission Statement. Carries out responsibilities with the direction of the culinary team and exercises good judgment to achieve desired results. Team Member will rely on limited experience instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job.
Primary Duties, Responsibilities, and Tasks:
• All team members are obligated to support and uphold the Valley View Casino & Hotel’s Standards of Excellence as outlined in the Team Member Guide to Success.
• Maintain positive guest relations at all times, resolving guest complaints and ensuring guest satisfaction. Greet guests in a courteous and caring manner using personalized service.
• Prepare all food items according to standard recipes and menu to ensure consistency of product.
• Build knowledge, understanding, and application of various cooking techniques.
• Build preparation and knowledge of base sauces, stocks, and soups.
• Actively participate with staff to cook, prepare, dish-up and assemble food.
• Learn to operate kitchen equipment including slicer, steamer, deep fryer, ovens, broiler, grill, mixer, kettle, and flat top.
• Maintain a working knowledge of all food products.
• Perform all assigned sidework to include replenishing/restocking work station with supplies.
• Rotate all products on the first-in, first-out philosophy. Properly label and date all products to ensure safekeeping and sanitation.
• Check station before, during, and after shift for proper set-up and cleanliness.
• Abide by all health codes and hand washing guidelines and encourage team members to do the same.
• Fully observe all safety procedures.
• Strive for picture perfect plate presentation.
• Perform other duties as assigned by management.
• Responsible for conducting all responsibilities in a professional and ethical manner
• Responsible for maintaining a consistent, regular attendance record.
• Ability to learn and maintain a working knowledge of weights, measures, and various cooking techniques.
• Ability to learn and identify pan types and knife types.
• Ability to maintain knowledge of sanitary practices.
• Reading and math skills for recipes and measurement.
• Ability to stand on a hard surface for long periods of time.
• Ability to tolerate areas with extreme hot and cold temperatures.
• Effective communication and organizational skills.
• Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form.
• Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
• Must apply for, receive, and maintain a Gaming License from the Tribal Gaming Agency.
• Must successfully pass a drug screening test.
• Must be able to successfully pass applicable auditions or skill testing.
• High school diploma or GED equivalent.
• Previous culinary experience.
Physical Requirements of the Position:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the Team Member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Clear vision (close, distant, peripheral, and depth perception) is needed for navigating office and casino environments, reading and reviewing reports and policies, operating data processing equipment and other essential job functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is regularly required to talk and hear.
• The Team Member is regularly required to sit and use hands to manipulate, handle, or feel.
• The Team Member is regularly required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and taste or smell. Team Member must be able to stand for the majority of their shift.
• The Team Member must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
• The Casino is open 24 hours per day, seven (7) days per week; therefore, you must be flexible to work any and all shifts.
• While performing the duties of this job, the Team Member is exposed to second hand tobacco smoke, moving mechanical parts and fumes or airborne particles.
• The Team Member is usually subject to inside environmental conditions, which provide protection from weather conditions, but not necessarily from temperature changes.
• The Team Member is occasionally subject to outside environmental conditions and to wet and/or humid conditions.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. When on the casino floor, the noise level increases to loud.
• Native American hiring preference applies.
• This job description does not list all the duties of the job. You may be instructed by management to perform other tasks or functions.
• You will be evaluated in part based upon your performance of the tasks listed in this job description and your ability to commit to the Standards of Excellence.
• Management has the right to revise this job description at any time.
• The job description is not a contract for employment.
Valley View Casino and Hotel - 15 months ago
copy to clipboard