• Minimum of 8 years of leadership experience in organizational communications, marketing, public relations and/or business development required.
• Minimum of 4 years of leadership experience in organizational communications, marketing, public relations and/or business development (within the 8 years noted above) in a health care provider setting required.
• Demonstrated experience in the areas of marketing plans, use of market data and research, media relations (including crisis communications), organizational image management, advertising, community events/relations, collaterals and publications and e-health strategies required.
• Prior specific experience with managed budgets and understanding critical organizational financial issues required..
• Prior experience working with to senior level health care executives, physicians, Board members, internal teams and key community stakeholders in a positive, enthusiastic and effective manner that generates goodwill required.
• Demonstrated familiarity with health care marketing support systems such as E-Health elements (web site design and content, social media, SEO/SEM, apps, etc.); call centers; CRM systems; marketing dashboards, etc. preferred.
• Prior experience with broad spectrum of “marketing” including non-communications strategies (access, pricing, etc.) preferred.
• Prior experience supporting business development activities including physician relations, new program design and new site determination preferred.
• Prior experience working in organizations that have an extensive scope of non-hospital provider elements including employed/integrated physician groups and ambulatory care services preferred.
• Prior experience working with “service line” structures preferred.
• Prior experience working with non-owned provider entities for marketing strategies related to potential joint venture efforts preferred.
• Prior experience with entities involved in “health care reform” initiatives – population health management, patient experience improvement, private label insurance products, health exchange preferred.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, Business Administration, Health Care Administration or a related field required. Master’s degree in one of the same areas noted above preferred.
• Exemplary project management skills with the ability to prioritize and implement multiple projects simultaneously required.
• Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment and to respond to unexpected organizational challenges or opportunities required.
• Demonstrated strong written and verbal communications and presentations skills required.
• Solid analytical skills including the ability to utilize data elements (research, market share, demographics, financial, etc.) to support strategy development required.
• Proficient core computer skills including business applications (including but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Explorer, Outlook, Publisher); web applications (Search engines, social media, web design software) and creative applications (graphic software, photo-shop software, etc.) all required.
Physical Requirements: “Light” Physical Agility test rating (PAT).
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently (activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) required to stand, sit, and walk; frequently to use hands, fingers; and frequently to talk or hear. The employee must exert up to 15 pounds of force occasionally (activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time), and/or up to 5 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job and will be measured by post offer PAT.
General Summary/Purpose of the Position& Key Components:
· Provides leadership and staff direction for the design and implementation of GHS marketing and communications efforts.
· Utilizes market information to (a) establish plans and guidelines for marketing initiatives for GHS and (b) monitor the impact of those marketing initiatives.
· Acts as a key (but not exclusive) source of “market intelligence” for the organization.
· Monitors organizational market image and directs/supports communications efforts aimed at all key audiences both internal and external.
· Acts as the key source of advice, information and leadership for all GHS managers on marketing issues.
· Supervises all marketing and communications staff and manages selection of and relationship with marketing-based external vendors (e-health, advertising, research, public relations, etc.)
· Serves as a resource to all levels of GHS management in the development of marketing and communications strategies. Provides marketing support for all key GHS efforts including (but not limited to) existing and new program/business development, physician relations, human resources, campus renovations/expansion/way-finding efforts, government and legislative issues, joint efforts with other provider organizations and initiatives aimed at helping GHS with changes in the macro health care environment (population health management, ACO and risk bearing efforts, EHR implementation, etc.)
· Develops data-driven Marketing Plans for GHS as a whole and for key programs, service lines, etc. as appropriate within the organization. Works with managers of all GHS programs and services to implement those Marketing Plans.
· Establishes measurable objectives where feasible for all Marketing Plan efforts and tracks the results of those marketing efforts within the boundaries of reasonable industry standards. This includes development and maintenance of a mechanism (Dashboard) to report marketing results to GHS leadership.
· In cooperation with other components of the GHS management team, monitors the GHS market environment to support the development of marketing strategies and to provide market intelligence to GHS leadership. Such environmental assessment would include (but not be limited to) market share patterns, competitor efforts, demographics, public opinion, physician referral patterns, etc.
· Directs all media relations efforts including monitoring of media coverage; development of media-related policies; routine media communications and crisis communications. Directs efforts to secure positive visibility for the organization through local, regional and (where appropriate) national media outlets – both traditional and new (social) media.
· Acts as the GHS spokesperson or delegates this activity to other Marketing and Communications staff members except in instances where the GHS Executive Leadership determines that another individual outside of Marketing & Communications is more appropriate given the situation (and in such cases the Assistant Vice President of Marketing and the Marketing and Communications staff will provide advice and support).
· Directs the development and implementation of communications efforts with key internal and external audiences including publications, collateral materials and paid advertising.
· Monitors the “brand image” of GHS and the impact of competitive activities, organizational activities, media coverage and market forces on the market position of the organization.
· Manages the brand identity standards for the organization including graphics standards, logo design and usage and name identity usage. Works with all areas within GHS to ensure consistent usage of identity standards.
· Directs all key audience market research (non-clinical) efforts to support GHS planning and brand position monitoring.
· Directs and supports organizational efforts related to participation in and sponsorship of service area community events; provides advice to GHS Executive leadership on appropriate event opportunities and on policies related to event participation and sponsorships by GHS. Where appropriate, represents GHS at key civic and community organizations within the service area.
· Directs all efforts related to E-Health Communications including web site content (Internet and Intranet), web related communications and advertising (SEO, SEM, etc.), social media communications and smart phone apps. Develops strategies to utilize E-Health capabilities to support key audience access, population health management, etc. Coordinates with GHS IT where appropriate to implement E-Health strategies.
· Works with the GHS Foundation to ensure coordination of message themes, graphic standards, event participation, etc. Provides support to the GHS Foundation as needed.
· Supports GHS campus renovation and expansion efforts via wayfinding and construction update communications to key audiences (consumers, physicians, visitors, patients, etc.).
· Where appropriate, supports GHS business development efforts by identifying and/or researching new business opportunities and by providing both communications and non-communications marketing support to new business and program development efforts. (Note: This includes efforts in both traditional “volume” marketing situations and future “value/population health management” marketing situations).
· Provides “Corporate Communications” support to Executive Leadership and the GHS Board of Directors for key audience messaging, media contact, presentations, etc.
· Provides leadership through hiring, coaching, performance management and educational growth opportunities for assigned staff members within the Marketing and Communications Department.
· Develops, monitors and manages the Marketing and Communications budget. Demonstrates fiscal responsibility and shows recognition of overall organizational financial needs in all budget-related decisions.
· Maintains a familiarity with the “state of the art” of marketing in the health care field through networking, professional organizations, industry literature and other methods. Helps to disseminate that knowledge where helpful throughout the organization.
· Maintains a familiarity with issues impacting hospitals and other provider entities at the local, state and national level (examples – impact of Population Health Management, Patient Experience, Reimbursement trends, Privacy laws, trends in Clinical services, etc.).
· Develops and maintains a strong understanding of general community issues and trends in the GHS service area.
· Manages the selection and management of all external marketing-related vendors (advertising, public relations, research, web, database marketing, etc.) and ensures that all work conducted by these external sources is consistent with technical and professional standards.
· Completes Other duties as assigned
Georgetown Hospital System - 10 months ago