High school diploma or GED and two years experience in vehicle maintenance and repair. Knowledge of the mechanical process and techniques used in the inspection, repair and maintenance of gasoline and diesel automotive equipment. Ability to read and understand automotive repair and installation manuals. Knowledge of the operation and maintenance of light, medium and heavy duty motorized equipment. Knowledge of safety procedures. Ability to operate diagnostic equipment. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and superiors. Possession of a valid state of Texas driver’s license. Must be able to work within internal and external environments with exposure to extreme weather and temperature conditions. May be required to lift and/or carry supplies, materials, equipment and/or items weighing up to 50 pounds. Must be able to navigate through Microsoft Office. Basic tools required to perform assigned duties. Subject to federal drug and local drug and alcohol testing regulations, which include pre-employment, post accident, reasonable suspicion, random, return to duty and follow-up testing.
1. Tests equipment to ensure safe and efficient operation by using various test equipment and tools.
2. Performs preventive maintenance on vehicles by changing oil, checking batteries, repairing and replacing tires and tubes and lubricating equipment and machinery; replaces oil and air filters.
3. Overhauls, tears down, rebuilds, repairs and maintains gasoline engines; overhauls and repairs small gasoline engines.
4. Orders and picks up parts and supplies.
5. Repairs and maintains diesel engines and related equipment.
6. Performs field repairs on various vehicles and equipment.
7. Overhauls hydraulic and air brake systems; repairs engine cooling systems, transmissions, axles, electrical systems and HVAC systems.
8. Replaces and adjusts shock absorbers and suspension systems; makes necessary adjustments to gasoline and diesel components; road tests equipment as needed.
9. Performs related work as required.
NOTE: T he above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
Under general supervision, inspects, repairs and maintains automotive and mechanical equipment and machinery.
* Expected duration of the selection process is approximately 6 months.
El Paso County Sheriff's Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
County of El Paso, TX - 10 months ago