HOURS: Full time - 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday -Friday, Flex time available. Ability to perform after hours work and participate in after hours rotation required.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The AVP, Risk Management will develop and direct physician, clinic and hospital risk management activities of MMIC through leadership of the Risk Management department. She/he will work collaboratively with all MMIC departments to ensure the risk management offerings and services MMIC provides are differentiators in the market for MMIC, adding value for all clients and agents. This individual will strategically understand industry trends and plan for/be proactive in leading the marketplace with respect to risk management services provided. Travel required will be 30% to 40% in the first year; 25% to 30% thereafter.
Position Requirements and Specifications:
Major Position Accountabilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in healthcare, business, marketing or related field; advanced degree in health-related field strongly desired
- Certification in the field of Healthcare Quality, Healthcare Risk Management or Claims is a plus
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in risk management and/or patient care in the healthcare or insurance industries
- Minimum of 7 years management experience
- Proven technical ability in general safety, patient safety, risk management and mitigation as well as claim management techniques
- Demonstrated analytical and financial skills to measure current processes and outcomes of a quality improvement process
- Strong project management skills and experience
- Proven ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing, with all levels and including public speaking to lead discussion groups, present at conferences and present to customer groups, management and internal board members
Risk Management Strategy (35%):
Organizational Strategic Planning (20%)
- Strategically assess MMIC’s risk management offerings to ensure they meet the organization’s goal of being a partner in patient safety by promoting safety and minimizing risk for MMIC’s clients.
- Ensure MMIC is leading the market with respect to the services offered and deliver to clients, focusing not only on traditional risk management but also on patient safety and quality care.
- Ensure MMIC’s Risk Management team offers a comprehensive, integrated suite of risk solutions to the policyholders.
- Evaluate department structure on a regular basis to determine ongoing needs and appropriateness of current staffing levels, talent levels and positions to meet the ongoing and changing needs of the department and organization.
- Evaluate products and services to ensure that current needs of clients are being met appropriately and timely.
- Evaluate competitor products and services on a regular basis and, if necessary, develop products and services to retain a competitive place in the market.
- Develop methodology to meet the strategic initiatives of the organization such as entering new markets, new products or enhancing current services to current clients.
- Coordinate department efforts with those of underwriting, claim and marketing departments to provide a seamless system to the clients.
- Establish measureable outcome goals for teams, department and individuals.
Customer Service (20%):
- Collaborates with the Chief Medical Officer on MMIC’s offerings, services and products.
- Collaborate with other operational departments in development of goals and measures.
- Participate in organizational wide strategic planning process.
- Align departmental goals with strategic goals of organization.
- Effectively communicate organizational goals to department team members and assure that individual’s goals will directly support the strategic initiatives of the organization.
Financial Accountability (10%):
- Provide customers with exceptional service in all aspects of delivered products.
- Attend seminars, conferences and meetings hosting clients, agents and prospects.
- Return all client calls as soon as possible after receiving messages.
- Plan for strengthening client confidence.
Board Support (5%):
- Develop an annual budget that is reasonable and will allow for achievement of financial and strategic objectives.
- Balance line items so that priority initiatives are appropriately funded.
- Monitor financial progress on a monthly basis and make mid-year adjustments as needed.
- Administer salary adjustments that appropriately reflect the performance and talents of individuals and provide rewards that correlate to performance.
- Prioritize the needs of the organization ahead of those of the department when necessary or in conflict.
- Educate departmental managers and staff on the financial aspects of the business.
Staff Recruitment and Development (5%):
- Attend board meetings with few exceptions.
- Coordinate the function of the CRUS (Claims, Risk, Underwriting, Sales and Operations) committee with other senior team members.
- Provide information to members of committee with enough lead time to review before the meeting.
- Manage risk review function for risk management and underwriting departments in preparation for committee meetings.
- Provide effective reports and information to the board when called upon.
Critical Success Factors:
- Evaluate staffing needs on an ongoing basis and particularly with changes in delivery of products and services.
- Identify candidates for positions that meet all the minimum qualifications.
- Develop an effective orientation program for all new hires.
- Provide current staff with educational, developmental and growth opportunities appropriate to their job function and that will keep them current with cutting edge knowledge and practice in the field of risk management and patient safety.
- Develop and keep current an active succession plan for the department.
- Coach and mentor staff in their roles.
- Set mutual goals with each staff member and hold each other accountable for reaching those goals.
- Ability to work collaboratively and within a strong team environment
- Experience as a self-starter and multi-tasker, self-motivated, with a capacity to perform in a fast paced environment
- Highly strategic, analytical and creative, with proven problem-solving abilities
- Ability to quickly establish credibility and relationships; ability to work with a variety of personalities and styles
- Action oriented with a proven ability to achieve results
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
MMIC Group, Inc. - 16 months ago