Responsible for sustaining an environment of academic and professional excellence for students and educational team members. The Academic Advisor supports student life and learning through student advocacy, academic coaching, customer service, campus and community referrals and institutional outreach. The Academic Advisor works closely with all campus departments to support student success and persistence endeavors. Incumbent must assure that the EDMC philosophy: quality services to clients; development, growth, involvement, and recognition of employees; sound economic principles; and environment which is conducive to innovation, positive thinking and expansion - is considered in carrying out the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Key Job Elements
- Maintain direct contact with student advisees. This includes meeting with individual as well as small groups of on-ground and online students on an ongoing basis to build rapport, identify barriers to success, set goals and develop action plans for academic success. Provide proactive and timely outreach, referrals and intervention with student population through a variety of communication methods.
- Develop processes, programs, activities or workshops to support student cohorts such as new students, online/Plus students, students on academic warning, and honors students.
- Work with Academic Affairs to understand, monitor and convey all aspects of curriculum, sequencing, academic status, registration and college policies and procedures for both on-ground and online students. Work closely with Academic Affairs regarding curriculum updates, scheduling, student concerns and needs. Collaborate with faculty regarding student concerns, student progress and course content.
- Support curricular and co-curricular involvement through referral, participation and advertisement of available opportunities to on-ground and online students. Participate in new student orientation programs.
- Participate and support all key departmental operations including tracking statistics, proper file documentation, departmental meetings, strategic planning and program assessment. Understand and monitor institutional benchmarks and support all persistence endeavors.
- Additional duties as assigned
Director of Academic Advising
All campus departments
- Bachelor's degree in Education, Fine Arts, Psychology, Social Work or related field.
- One to three years experience working in an academic advising role, preferably in a post secondary institution Preferred Requirements:
- Understand current trends in Academic Advising and higher education.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with both faculty, staff and student populations
- Exceptional customer service and organizational skills
- Understand open-ended questioning, non-verbal communication and active listening
- Understand how to read and interpret reports and data
- Presentation and public speaking skills
- Strong computer and analytical skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team. Interact effectively and work collaboratively with other departments.
- Ability to listen and positively respond to student and co-worker requests.
- Ability to exercise considerable judgment in the application of college policies and procedures.
- Ability to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and successfully meet deadlines.
- Ability to adapt to changing assignments and multiple priorities.
- Ability to be creative and innovative.
Work Environment & Notice
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The term "qualified individual with a disability" means an individual with a disability who, with or without reasonable accommodation, can perform the essential functions of the position. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate professionally in person, over the telephone, through email and other electronic means, move about the office or school, handle various types of media and equipment, and visually or otherwise identify, observe and assess. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 10 pounds unless otherwise specified in the job description.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative and level of the types of duties and responsibilities that will be required of positions given this title and shall not be construed as a declaration of the total of the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Employees may be directed to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description. Education Management Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity as a critical step in ensuring employee, student and graduate success. We are committed to building and developing a diverse environment where a variety of ideas, cultures and perspectives can thrive.
Education Management Corporation - 14 months ago
Education Management Corporation is among the largest providers of private post-secondary education in North America, based on student...