The Academic Advisor position serves as the primary contact for learners as they progress through their degree programs. Advisors manage a pipeline of learners through proactive outreach and coaching. This includes providing program progress updates, requirement information, Capella policy, and financing information to help learners complete their degree. They help learners clarify key decision-points and solution alternatives which align with learner needs and objectives. Advisors utilize strong relationship building skills and intrusive advising techniques to ensure learners have the skills and resources they need to be successful.
This role is responsible for providing personalized, proactive outreach to learners to assist them in successfully navigating the path to reach their educational goals. The advisor will execute outreach at key milestones of the learners’ program to help keep each learner on track. This includes data driven outreach to learners who are at risk during their program. Each interaction includes exploration of needs and providing personalized solutions to effectively prepare the learner for long-term success. It requires developing an advanced understanding of the academic offerings, requirements, and the systems and tools necessary for solving learner issues. Advisors help learners make fully informed decisions on how to achieve their educational goals.
- Provide purpose-driven connections with learners to identify success strategies and drive an exceptional learner experience.
- Provide coaching and guidance to learners throughout their degree program to give them the tools and resources they need to be successful. Each interaction involves discovering needs, understanding the situation, recommending options and customized solutions, and always listening to the needs of the learner.
- Facilitate the resolution of learner issues while supporting university integrity and values.
- Typical day will involve continuous customer interaction throughout the majority of the day on the phone or via chat, social media & email; A variety of service and quality standards are measured such as quality call evaluations, learner survey data, availability, service levels, adherence to contact protocol, learner file management, academic plan management, etc.
- Responsible for maintaining accurate academic plans, securing registrations and proactively addressing learner barriers impacting their enrollment status.
- Leverage tools, systems and software applications to manage learner data.
- Commit to continuous training and development to become experts on academic programs and outcomes, learner tools and resources, and financial solutions. Establishing credibility is essential and advisors are responsible for utilizing extensive institutional knowledge and expertise to assist learners.
- Advisors are responsible for individual pipeline management but also to operate as a team, dedicated to meeting learner expectations and reinforcing a high quality, end-to-end learner experience. This entails supporting colleagues, other departments, and taking an active part in team discussions, 1:1 call coaching sessions, and providing constructive feedback to management.
- Improve learner persistence by creating personalized pathways for learners, by assessing needs and being transparent and clear with all learners so they are making fully informed decisions. This includes both transactional and transformational conversations to help learners be successful.
- Note – these are the fundamental responsibilities of an Advisor, but Advisors are involved in many aspects of the university and can expect to be accountable for additional and changing responsibilities.
- BA/BS in relevant field; (a Masters degree is required for Doctoral Advisors) and professional experience using coaching/counseling and critical thinking skills.
- Must be able to work effectively and efficiently with a diverse population.
- Ability to adapt quickly and thrive in a fast paced, changing professional environment.
- Excellent time management, interpersonal, written/verbal communication, and presentation skills.
- Evidence of organizational accomplishments in a productive and contributive team environment.
- Highly motivated, self directed and able to demonstrate independent judgment to positively impact learners and university colleagues.
- Expertise leveraging customer-tracking software applications and tools.
- High achievement-orientation and drive.
- High service-orientation; strong desire to work in a mission-driven culture and work in the best interests of customers/learners.
- Experience creating and maintaining strong customer/learner relationships.
- Ability to work between the hours of 8-6 and 11-8 with periodic weekend coverage???
- Ability to communicate with learners by phone in a high volume environment.
- Focused on the needs of the learner first, and committed to providing an excellent learner experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Keen investigation and listening skills to solve problems and provide solutions.
- Ability to think critically in order to build plans of action and personalized solutions for the learner.
- Driven, self motivated, organized and detail oriented. Ability to remain focused on the right outcomes.
- Comfortable representing a complex portfolio of programs requiring in-depth, specialized knowledge and regular research and review to remain current.
- Desire to work in a progressive, high energy and achievement-oriented environment.
- Ability to work cross functionally and partner effectively with other work groups in the organization that support learner functions.
- Creates alignment and maintains high personal standards with regards to process knowledge, detailed understanding of the inner workings of the organization and the ability to set expectations and offer full transparency to the learner.
- Proficient with technology and experience with maintaining and updating contact management systems in addition to Microsoft Office Suites and the internet.
- Advanced understanding of relationship building, understanding motivations and personal and professional aspirations.
- Proven ability to plan accurately leveraging technology and reporting tools.
- Demonstrable time management experience and ability to multi-task and manage a variety of daily activities including outbound calling, inbound calls, problem solving and solution building.
- Ability to continuously evaluate work priorities and make adjustments as needed throughout day/week.
225 S. 6
Minneapolis, MN 55402
How To Apply
Click the apply now button and apply to this job opening. You will be prompted to either login using an existing user ID and password or register for a new account.
About Capella University
Capella University is an online university built on graduate degrees, with more than 36,000 students throughout the U.S. and in other countries. Founded in 1993 to provide advanced educational opportunities for working professionals, Capella has become a national leader in online education, offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs. The university's success is built upon a culture that promotes human potential, achievement, innovation, integrity, collaboration, and teamwork. Capella Education Company (CPLA), parent company of Capella University, is publicly traded on the NASDAQ. Capella Education Company was named to the Inc. 500 Hall of Fame for being listed as one of the nation's fastest-growing companies for 7 consecutive years. Capella University is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, located at 230 S. LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60604-1413, (312) 263-0456,
Equal Employment Opportunity
Capella is committed to the development of a multicultural environment. We seek greater diversity in our faculty and staff to broaden our academic experience and to reflect the diversity within our learner community. We value the input of multiple viewpoints and perspectives across the university and our corporate offices. Our goal is to create academic and business communities that are rich with cultural, social and intellectual diversity. Capella is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer.
Where Academic Excellence is Online
As a regionally accredited institution offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degree programs in...