This is responsible work in providing academic advising. Work includes providing new and returning students with information about the College’s programs and degree offerings, assisting with class selection and scheduling, advising students about articulation into baccalaureate programs, and ensuring students have met requirements for graduation.
Provides information to prospective and current students about program content, application and enrollment processes, educational requirements and continuing education opportunities. May be responsible for advising students for specific academic areas such as Business and Technology, Baccalaureate programs, Public Safety or Health Professions.
Meets with, advises and prepares official education plans for all student types. Conducts initial advising session and may provide subsequent advising sessions.
Evaluates degree audits, transfer credits, college placement test results and other available reports and student information to guide students in the selection of appropriate courses to fulfill program requirements; meets with students to discuss results and track progress.
Maintains appropriate records for student advising sessions and educational plans ensuring folders are accurate and properly filed.
Works with faculty and administration to interpret and ensure academic policies, program content and data are designed to provide efficient and effective advising services to students. Recommends solutions and establishes best practices for academic advising.
Works with colleagues to disseminate programmatic advising information, supports with curriculum development and offers new ideas to ensure student needs are met.
May provide group advising to ensure the efficient flow of students through course registration and to facilitate student use of online course enrollments.
Reviews student files to monitor progress; works with students to ensure stated goals are met; assists students with academic petitions; refers students to appropriate College services as needed.
Ensures graduation applicants have met requirements for graduation; provides guidance to students to assist in timely completion of requirements; works with the Registrar’s office to provide error free and proper certification for graduates.
Attends scheduled meetings, workshops and training sessions as scheduled by the department. May be required to attend meetings and events related to the Advisor’s academic area of focus.
Participates in college recruiting events both on and off campus.
May act as a liaison between institutional instructors and students to communicate disabled students special needs; arranges all necessary accommodations; provides and maintains related reports and files.
Models and sustains effective Servant-Leadership and Shared Governance practices which enhance the achievement of the vision, goals, plans and student-centered culture of Edison State College.
These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed; employees will be required to perform other job related duties as required. An employee with a disability is encouraged to contact the Human Resources Office to evaluate the job in greater detail in order to determine if she/he can safely perform the essential functions of this job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education and two (2) years professional experience in counseling, advising, or a related field. A master’s degree in a related field may be substituted for years of experience.
Demonstrated experience using a personal computer, office software such as MS Office and electronic mail.
Demonstrated ability to:
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students and the public.
- Work in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Interpret degree program requirements and assist students in the achievement of the requirements.
Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education and professional experience in counseling, advising, or a related field.
Thorough understanding of the curriculum, College requirements and regulations, course sequences and degree requirements.
Experience using an enterprise-wide integrated student information systems such as SCT Banner.
All employees are expected to:
Work Conditions/Physical Demands/Special Conditions
- Promote a common purpose consistent with stated College goals and demonstrate a commitment to students and the learning environment.
- Possess the knowledge of general written standards and procedures utilized, and have the ability to read, interpret, and follow procedural and policy manual related to the job tasks.
- Demonstrate the ability to respond to supervision, guidance and direction in a positive, receptive manner and in accordance with stated policies.
- Provide quality customer service by creating a welcoming and supportive environment.
- Present a professional image in word, action and attire.
- Demonstrate professionalism in dealing with a diverse population while understanding and respecting each other’s view of the world, personalities and working styles.
- Conduct oneself in a manner consistent with the College’s standards of ethical conduct.
- Apply effective techniques to create working relationships with others to achieve common goals; successfully communicates and collaborates with others to achieve goals.
- Demonstrate skills necessary to look at situations and processes critically to make recommendations for improvement.
Physical: Routinely requires the ability to see, hear, and speak. Routinely requires sitting, bending, stooping, walking. On occasion, incumbents may be required to lift 20 or more pounds.
Environmental: Normal general office
Mental: Routinely requires the ability to interpret, analyze and perform critical thinking skills.
Fully complete the application form. All work history must be included on the application and all fields must be accurately and specifically completed.
Candidates must list ALL work experience which proves sufficient for meeting minimum qualifications of this position.
Unofficial transcripts MUST be uploaded to the applicant system. It is suggested that all documents be uploaded as PDF documents.
PLEASE NOTE: Additional documents or changes cannot be made to your application once it has been submitted.
- Candidates must upload copies of ALL transcripts (need not be official at the time of application) which prove sufficient for verifying minimum qualifications of this position.
- Official transcripts for all coursework and degrees are required at the time of hire.
- Foreign transcripts must be transcribed in English AND evaluated for U.S. equivalency by a bonafide U.S. evaluation service. The evaluation must be uploaded to the application.
We regret that we are unable to accept faxed, emailed, mailed or hand delivered application materials outside the Edison online e-Jobs system.
A selection committee will review application packages and will select a limited number of qualified applicants for interview.
Criminal background check and fingerprinting will be required of the final candidate.
Edison State College is proud to be a tobacco-free organization.
Edison State College is committed to providing an educational and working environment free from discrimination and harassment. ?All programs, activities, employment and facilities of Edison State College are available to all on a non-discriminatory basis, without regard to race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or veteran's status. The College is an equal access/equal opportunity institution. Questions pertaining to educational equity, equal access, or equal opportunity should be addressed to the College's Equity Officer.
The College’s Equity Officer/Title IX Coordinator is:
Ronald A. Dente, Jr.
District Director, Human Resources/Assistant General Council
Royal Palm Hall N-120 – Lee Campus
8099 College Pkwy. SW
Ft. Myers, FL 33919
Edison State College - 13 months ago