The Department of Forest Engineering, Resources and Management (FERM) and the Office of Undergraduate Studies invites applications for a full-time (1.00 FTE), 12-month, fixed-term Academic Advisor - Professional Forestry position. Reappointment is at the discretion of the Department Head.
The College of Forestry (CoF) is one of 12 colleges on the OSU campus, comprised of three departments offering undergraduate and graduate programs to a student body of approximately 1000 students. As the sole university-level forestry program in Oregon, it is a primary resource people turn to for information on forestry-related issues and education.
This position will advise undergraduate students in the following degree programs: Forest Operations Management; Forestry- Management Option; Forestry- Operations Option; Forest Engineering; and Forest Engineering- Civil Engineering dual degree program. These degree programs are accredited by the Society of American Foresters, additionally, Forest Engineering and Forest Engineering- Civil Engineering are accredited by ABET, Inc.
All duties include working with diverse student populations, including ethnic minorities, older than average students, students with disabilities, and veterans. Important aspects of the work include developmental advising, attention to detail, and frequent contact with other units within the College and at the University.
85% Provide one-on-one academic advising for individual undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students.
(1) Helping students match their personal strengths and interests with opportunities within the University curriculum in general and within the professional forestry degree programs or College of Forestry degree programs in particular.
(2) Review and assess the evaluation of transfer credits and applicability of academic credit to program requirements.
(3) Advising on course selection, prerequisite requirements and registration timelines to maximize the advisee's ability to progress through their intended degree program.
(4) Directing students to college and university based support and academic resources when appropriate to their success.
(5) Advise students on academic warning, probation and suspension, assisting them in constructing a plan of action for resolution and academic success.
(6) Maintain individual student files as appropriate, updating and evaluating file and MyDegrees audit as new information is received.
(7) Clarify university academic policy and procedure to assist students in making decisions concerning personal education goals leading to graduation. Participates on academic curriculum committees to assess/recommend changes to curriculum and impacts to graduation requirements.
(8) Represent CoF at various recruitment and orientation events such as Pre-View Days, Beaver Open House, OSU Nights, Summer START program; CONNECT Week, and term-based orientation events.
(9) Write letters of recommendation for students enrolled in or graduated from the professional forestry degree programs.
Position Duties (continued):
10% Communicate with currently enrolled and prospective students concerning the application process for consideration of admission to the Professional School of Forestry. Review application material, review and update MyDegrees audit when necessary and make recommendations to the appropriate faculty committee charged with approving admission to the Professional School. Communicate and advise students of remedial action necessary for admission and/or provide alternatives to the professional forestry degree programs in pursuing their career and professional goals.
5% Participate in departmental, college or unit staff meetings. Participate in college and university committees, task force, or work groups where appropriate. Attend and participate in meetings, conferences, and seminars when professional development opportunities are made available. Other duties as assigned.
Working Conditions/Work Schedule:
Ability to work nights and weekends to meet the schedule constraints of undergraduate students.
Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Forestry, Natural Resources or other land-grant university related discipline.
At least two years experience in academic advising or in a field related to Engineering, Forestry, Natural Resources or a related discipline.
This position requires extensive daily use of computers. Competency with Microsoft Office applications including Microsoft Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Access and Excel, as well as with use of web browsers, such as Explorer or Firefox.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including telephone skills.
This position requires experience in organizing programs, preparing advising materials, working closely with the advising team and communicating with administrators, faculty, and other advisors.
Accuracy and attention to detail are crucial for this position as is the ability to maintain high level of confidentiality and integrity; must possess strong problem-solving skills as well as the ability to learn independently.
A full understanding of the academic process, structure, and system is necessary for this position.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Criminal History Check and be deemed fit for duty at placement and while serving in the position.
Master's Degree in Engineering, Forestry, Natural Resources, or a land-grant university related discipline.
At least three years experience in undergraduate student advising or counseling in a college or university setting.
Previous experience in Student Information Systems such as: Banner, MyDegrees, GQL Data Warehouse, Cognos, CAPS, PeopleSoft.
A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
Scholarly Outcomes for Position (academic faculty only)
Indicate how you intend to recruit for this search:
Competitive / External - open to ALL qualified applicants
For Full Consideration Date
Recommended Full-Time Salary Range
A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity is:
A preferred qualification
Special Instructions to Applicants
This posting has been re-opened in order to expand the original applicant pool, and will now close on 5/14/13.
When applying you will be required to attach the following electronic documents:
1) A resume/CV that includes the names of at least three professional references, their e-mail addresses and telephone contact numbers (Upload as 'Other Document' if not included with your resume/vitae).
2) A cover letter indicating how your qualifications and experience have prepared you for this position.
For additional information please contact: Clay Torset, (541) 737-1592, Clay.Torset@oregonstate.edu
OSU is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Criminal History Check and be determined to be position qualified as per OAR 576-055-0000 et seq. Offers of employment are contingent upon meeting all minimum qualifications including the Criminal History Check Requirement.
Preview of Posting Specific Questions
Responses to the Posting Specific Questions are limited to 1200 characters, including spaces, when answered within the system space provided.
Oregon State University - 20 months ago