Reports to the education director. Responsible for providing instruction to offenders in accordance with approved curricula. Provides offenders with basic direction in compliance with Management & Training Corporation (MTC) and Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) directives.
1. Plan and conduct classes for offenders in Adult Basic Education (ABE) and General Education Development (GED), life skills, cultural awareness, health education and special education curriculum and other subjects selected to correspond with the ability and limitations of the class.
2. Prepare special teaching plans, courses, activities and learning experiences appropriate for the specific offenders assigned with written curricula coordinated with the Secretary’s Commission on Achieving Necessary Skills (SCANS) competencies and workplace skills.
3. Utilize appropriate audio and visual teaching materials individualized to the specific need of the offender.
4. Administer individual educational tests and learning aptitude tests and use the results for prescriptive instruction.
5. Assess student performance.
6. Participate in staff conferences in an endeavor to develop and improve educational programs.
7. Counsel and advise offenders on academic problems.
8. Coordinate activities and classes in conjunction with appropriate school districts or other involved parties.
9. Develop program and related educational materials as necessary for the establishment and maintenance of assigned classes.
10. Adjust material and curriculum to the individual differences of the offenders assigned.
11. Confer with offenders and instructors to evaluate results of conducted classes.
12. Promote the development of positive social skills through modeling appropriate behaviors and intervening when inappropriate behaviors are observed.
13. Maintain accountability of offenders and property; adhere to safety practices.
It is expected that the incumbent shall perform other duties as assigned within his/her capabilities as determined by management.
Education and Experience Requirements:
High school diploma or equivalent required. Valid driver’s license in the State of Texas with an acceptable driving record required, unless waived by management.
Post Hire Requirements:
Must successfully complete annual in-service training requirements and pass an annual background check, which must be approved by TDCJ.
Management & Training Corporation - 19 months ago
Management & Training Corporation (MTC) prepares prison inmates for re-entry into society. It provides a variety of academic,...