The Student Access Advisor is a full time employment opportunity. Reporting to the Access Manager, the Student Access Advisor will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of student disability accommodations and initiatives at Ashford University, under the mandates of Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, as amended in 2008. Additionally, the Student Access Advisor is responsible for managing a student caseload, providing superior student-centered advising and support to ensure a positive student experience.
Essential Job Duties:
Additional Job Duties (include but are not limited to):
- Serve as primary point of contact to the student providing disability related counseling and academic advisement.
- Monitor and provide guidance regarding academic progression, answer student inquires regarding student lifecycle and progression.
- Monitor student records and documentation; interpret psycho-educational reports, disability documentation, and related records to determine the impact of disability within the educational environment and use that information to assign reasonable accommodation.
- Liaison to internal and external departments and agencies on behalf of students with disabilities.
- Identify student concerns and employ critical thinking with an eye toward effective resolution.
- Serve as a subject matter expert to University faculty and staff on disability and accommodation issues.
- Articulate the needs of students with disabilities and empower students with disabilities in order to enable full participation in educational programs.
- Provide wellness services related to student wellbeing, including guidance, critical support, outreach and referrals as appropriate.
- Explain assistive technology and related resources available to students.
- Communicate ideas for policy and procedural improvements that create greater efficiency and/or enhance the level of service provided to our students.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
- Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
- Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community.
- Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
- Leading Change: This competency serves as the foundation of the Leadership competency model as it aligns the behaviors and characteristic of the individuals with the organization’s mission and core values. Inherent in this competency is the individual’s ability to balance change and continuity; to continually strive to improve organizational framework; to create a work environment that encourages innovation; and to maintain focus, intensity and persistence, even under adversity.
- Leading People: The second leadership competency involves the ability to maximize human capital by fostering an environment that encompasses the organization’s culture and execute the mission, goals and core values.
- Business Acumen: This competency involves the ability to understand and administer business information cross departmentally in a manner that inspires confidence, instills trust and accomplishes the organization’s goals.
- Building Communication: The fourth leadership competency encompasses written and verbal communications of facts and ideas as well as developing a professional network inside and outside the organization.
- Driving Results: The final competency stresses accountability and continuous improvement through decision making, execution and producing results.
Looking for additional insight on this specific role? Not sure if the job is for you, but know someone who sounds like a perfect fit? Email us at: TalentAcquisition@bpiedu.com and someone with the inside track would be more than happy to be a resource for you!
- Possess an understanding of issues relevant to persons with disabilities and post-secondary disability services in order to develop and support services for students with disabilities.
- A proven record of working successfully with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated ability to establish strong relationships by employing empathetic student-centered advising practices.
- Ability to interact with a diverse population of students and employees, anticipate students' needs, expectations, and requirements.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including ability to make oral and written presentations through various media formats to colleagues to provide information, instructions, or explain subjects of importance.
- Ability to set priorities to achieve objectives; manage multiple, diverse assignments/projects.
- 3 years related professional experience (or equivalent).
- Working knowledge of Section 504 and Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, as amended in 2008 and other appropriate laws pertaining to higher education and disabilities.
- Experience working in an online/distance-learning environment.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree in a related field and have a substantial record of professional accomplishment in serving students with disabilities at the post-secondary level. A Master’s degree in counseling, special education, student affairs, educational administration or a related area is strongly preferred.
Note: This opportunity of employment will require a completed pre-employment screening to be inclusive of, but not limited to: a criminal background investigation, a credit check investigation, verification of education credentials, verification of prior employment history and a professional reference check; with review prior to an offer of employment being extended.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee requires dexterity in using telephone, computer keyboard, mouse and calculator while seated at a desk. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk and sit. The employee may frequently move to interact with fellow employees and/or clients. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Communication Skills: While performing Duties of the job, the employee is required to read and comprehend instructions, correspondence and memos. The employee requires the ability to write effective and detailed correspondence and to effectively present information both in one-on-one and small group situations.
Mental Demands: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to deal with stress associated with a fast-paced work environment and multiple priorities/tasks. The employee will be required to make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations, grasp and apply new ideas, communicate with various personalities at all levels and have the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed instructions.
Work Environment: While performing duties of this job, the employee is required to work in an office environment, and the noise level is usually quiet to moderate.
Our Parent Organization: Bridgepoint Education has built its corporate culture around its core values; ethics, integrity, service and accountability. Ethics is a central part of employee training and is reinforced on a daily basis. Integrity in the way we treat both internal and external constituents is paramount to Bridgepoint Education's success. Service at the highest level is expected and recognized. Last, accountability toward one's co-workers, students and role within the organization has allowed Bridgepoint Education to cultivate a high-quality management team.
By providing both online and campus-based programs at Ashford University and University of the Rockies, Bridgepoint Education offers access to both traditional and adult learners seeking high quality, convenient higher education degree programs.
We offer our team competitive benefits (M/V/D/401k/ESPP) and salaries, a safe work environment, innovative training, accelerated career advancement, the ability to take classes and programs gratis, and a collegiate and collaborative environment to work and grow in. Ashford University understands that our success depending on the development of strong leadership within the organization.
To be considered an applicant, all interested and qualified parties MUST apply through the Ashford University online employment application system.
For additional information about our University, please visit www.ashford.edu.
Ashford University is an Affirmative Action employer that provides Equal Employment Opportunity to all employees and applicants, without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, sexual orientation, handicap or disability, or Vietnam-era or special veteran status. This policy is established and administered in accordance with all applicable federal and state laws.
Wait, there’s more… For more cool up-to-date news follow us on Twitter: @BPEdCareers and @AshfordUCareers
Ashford University - 12 months ago
You can help people change their lives when they choose to pursue higher education and earn a degree from Ashford University. With more...