GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES
The Accessioner and Technical assistant performs support for the Histology Technicians and Cytologist in the daily routine preparation of histological and cytological specimens. This person must be extensively trained and must understand specimen-handling procedures for a variety of processes performed in the lab. Anatomy background and medical terminology would be helpful. This person does not actually perform the tests or interpret the outcome of results, but is instrumental in the preparation of these processes.
This person must maintain integrity of proficient and diligent work ethics and is sometimes confronted with high stress workloads, which require demanding concentration. Accessioning accuracy is important to specimen identification and accurate reporting of pathology and cytology specimens.
DESCRIPTION OF RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Accessions incoming specimens into Orchard-Harvest™
2. Calls Doctors offices to correct improperly labeled or incomplete specimen requests
3. Picks up specimens in The North Austin Diagnostic Clinic.
4. Creates a working log of specimens that aids in slide making, embedding and cutting.
5. Labels blocks with patient name, accession number and block designation.
6. Labels slides with patient name, accession number and block or level designation.
7. Files reviewed pathology slides.
8. Files reviewed accession requisitions.
9. Retrieves slides or reports for pathologist
10. Sets up grossing station
11. Assists Pathologist or Pathology Assistant in Grossing.
12. Cleans all grossing instruments and maintains grossing area.
13. Prepares and logs mailed and sent out specimens for routine sendout or consultation
• HPV cases are sent to the Molecular department.
• Thyroid cases and Bone Marrows sent to Integrated Oncology Labs for flow cytometry
• Lymphnodes sent to Integrated Oncology Labs for Flow cytometry
• DIF (Direct Immunofluorescence) sent to CPL
• Products of conception sent to CPL for chromosome analysis
• Tissue cultures sent to CPL
• Slides sent for outside consultation
• Hemepath specimens to Integrated Oncology Labs
14. Answers phones and other clerical duties
15. Files and stores specimens in the department for four weeks
16. Files Slides and relevant paperwork.
17. Discards and rotates stored specimens
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITY:
Anatomy background and medical terminology would be helpful.
Preferred, not required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School diploma or GED
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ration, and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The Austin Diagnostic Clinic - 17 months ago
At the Austin Diagnostic Clinic, our foot and ankle specialists aim to provide comprehensive management of a wide variety foot and ankle...