This is difficult and responsible clerical and accounting work, which involves complex work methods and problems. |
Work involves performing clerical and accounting duties related to various Finance Department work processes. Work requires knowledge of all Finance Department clerical positions, the exercise of initiative, independent judgment and discretion with responsibility for finality of action. Work is performed under moderate supervision of the Deputy Director and reviewed in a general manner on the basis of results obtained.
Examples of Duties:
- Processes vendor invoices, verifies extension prices; computes allowable discounts; checks bill totals for accuracy; allocates expenditures to proper budget; assures bills conform to City policies, posts payments to automated accounts payable system.
- Matches vendor invoices to purchase order receipts and processes payment
- Updates and maintains vendor list in automated accounts payable system.
- Maintains vendor payment files.
- Contacts new vendors for W-9 information and maintains W-9 file.
- Generates weekly check run.
- Provides back up/relief for first floor customer service area during absences.
- Assists in processing customer receipts including utility bill payments, property tax payments, parking ticket remittance and other City receipts.
- Assists in answering customer and vendor inquiries.
- Obtains, analyzes and assembles information to prepare State fuel tax refund report.
- Obtains, analyzes and processes monthly City-wide gas and electric and photocopier charges.
- Maintains public construction contract file, verifies change orders received, places final payments on Finance Committee agenda and prepares work papers for the annual audit.
- Obtains, reviews, and processes travel expense reimbursement requests from department.
- Collects and distributes Finance Department mail daily
- Maintains regular punctual and predictable attendance, works overtime and extra hours as required.
- Prepares letters, reports and other correspondence from copy or hand written materials, rough drafts, verbal instructions and independent composition.
- Acts as back?up for other functions within the Finance Department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Considerable experience in responsible accounting and bookkeeping work, graduation from high school plus two to three years of college, business or technical school, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and training which provides the following knowledge, abilities and skills:
- Considerable knowledge of accounting and bookkeeping processes and practices.
- Considerable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling, vocabulary and arithmetic.
- Considerable knowledge and skill in the operation of P.C.’s, and other office equipment.
- Strong ability to maintain office records, compile difficult and complex data, and prepare accurate reports.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel spreadsheet software packages.
- Ability to understand and carry out moderately complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to make minor decisions in accordance with laws, policies and regulations and to apply these to work problems.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision and conform to deadlines.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public and to deal with public relation problems in a courteous and tactful manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing with personnel at various levels both within and outside the organization.
- Ability to sit for long periods of time and sustain prolonged visual concentration.
- Ability to stoop, kneel, climb, bend, lift, push and pull up to twenty pounds.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Handling Difficult People