This is journeyman level clerical-accounting work in reviewing, processing, and maintenance of accounting or fiscal records. Work requires a knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures used in performing the more complex clerical-accounting functions, which involve the operation of standard office equipment such as typewriters, personal computers, copy machines, and calculators, and is learned on the job or through specialized training. Contacts require basic courtesy, tact, and effectiveness in dealing with others, and include contacts to request or provide information, ask questions or obtain clarification. The work is semi-routine where tasks are covered by procedures or precedents, and although patterned, some latitude is permitted to consider and choose the most appropriate technique, method, or procedure to follow. Work is performed in an office environment. The physical demands consist mainly of sitting or standing at a work station for extended periods of time, using standard office equipment on an ongoing basis, and occasionally lifting and moving light objects. The work is performed under general supervision where the work assignments are subject to instructions and established work routines, and the worker is given latitude to rearrange the sequence based on changing work situations or work flow.
Examples of Work:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Prepares, reviews, processes, and/or maintains purchase orders, requisitions, check requests, field orders, change orders and other accounting or fiscal documents, records and files.
- Codes fiscal documents for posting into automated accounting system.
- Posts transactions to proper accounts.
- Compiles data for fiscal reports and statements.
- Prepares periodic summary reports.
- Reconciles and balances financial statements and accounting records.
- Maintains time and leave reports and prepares payrolls and pay vouchers.
- Receives funds, prepares deposits, and reconciles bank statements
- Composes correspondence in appropriate word processing software.
- Prepares spreadsheets using appropriate software.
- Operates typewriters, copy machines, calculators, personal computers using word processing, spreadsheet, database and various accounting related software, and other standard office equipment.
- Demonstrates proficiency in the City of Jacksonville Core Competencies.
- Performs related work as required.
Open Requirements/Supplemental Information:
- Knowledge of general office practices, procedures, and methods.
- Knowledge of bookkeeping and accounting principles, practices, procedures, and methods.
- Skill in making and verifying mathematical calculations.
- Skill in maintaining accounting and fiscal records.
- Skill in operating standard office equipment and personal computer using word processing, spreadsheet, database and accounting related software.
- Ability to post figures accurately.
- Ability to match names and numbers.
- Ability to file both numerically and alphabetically.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to read, understand, and apply written instructions and job-related policies and procedures.
- Ability to transcribe legibly and neatly.
- Ability to use word processing, spreadsheet, and related software applications.
- A two (2) year combination of education, training and experience in the clerical-accounting field.
- Completion of a college level accounting course or courses for a total of three (3) or more semester hours of college level accounting course work.
In accordance with the City of Jacksonville Ordinance 116.910, effective July 1, 2012, any person who is hired or appointed by the City of Jacksonville and does not reside within Duval County at the time of hire, will have six (6) months to establish permanent residency within the boundaries of Duval County. Failure to establish permanent residency within six (6) months shall constitute resignation from employment. Effective July 1, 2012, any person who is hired or appointed by the City of Jacksonville and does reside within Duval County at the time of hire, but subsequently moves his/her permanent residence outside the boundaries of Duval County, shall constitute resignation from employment.
ONLINE APPLICATION REQUIRED. Apply at www.coj.net , attach college transcripts, and if claiming veteran’s preference, DD-214 (Form 4), by March 29, 2013, for consideration.